Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Would folty get either? I’d rather hold Julio than folty
    I agree, but Folty probably won't get Santana but might get us Phillips if the Brewers like Folty. Folty did have two of his better games vs them so they might still like his potential enough to do Phillips or Santana for Folty plus in a package deal.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Honestly between Santana and Phillips, I think I would prefer Phillips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Honestly between Santana and Phillips, I think I would prefer Phillips.
    Fangraphs in ranking him the Brewers 15th best prospect had this on him: "Phillips hit well in his small sample of big-league at-bats, slashing .276/.351/.448 and reaching on each of his five steal attempts. xStats, which calculates expected stats based on batted-ball data, suggests that this was a mirage, as does Phillips’ .408 BABIP.

Scouts aren’t sold on Phillips’ bat. He has a clunky leg kick and weight transfer that prevent him from turning on balls consistently, and he is violent about the head during his swing, exacerbating Phillips’ whiff-prone stiffness. He has struck out in 24% of his pro plate appearances and in 30% of his PAs the last two seasons. He projects as a 40 hitter, and his approach to contact will likely limit his game power output.

But he does lots of other things. Phillips is an above-average runner and high-effort player who makes it work in center field despite lacking great instincts. He has strong hands and is able to poke balls out the other way on occasion. Most notably, Phillips has elite, game-changing arm strength and uncorked a throw in excess of 104 mph, according to Statcast, this year. Some scouts think Phillips’ patience, raw power, and ability to play center field will make him an average everyday player, but most think his inability to hit will limit him to a lesser role."

That said, these questions about his bat should make him come cheaper in a trade. Possibly much cheaper than Santana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Fangraphs in ranking him the Brewers 15th best prospect had this on him: "Phillips hit well in his small sample of big-league at-bats, slashing .276/.351/.448 and reaching on each of his five steal attempts. xStats, which calculates expected stats based on batted-ball data, suggests that this was a mirage, as does Phillips’ .408 BABIP.

Scouts aren’t sold on Phillips’ bat. He has a clunky leg kick and weight transfer that prevent him from turning on balls consistently, and he is violent about the head during his swing, exacerbating Phillips’ whiff-prone stiffness. He has struck out in 24% of his pro plate appearances and in 30% of his PAs the last two seasons. He projects as a 40 hitter, and his approach to contact will likely limit his game power output.

But he does lots of other things. Phillips is an above-average runner and high-effort player who makes it work in center field despite lacking great instincts. He has strong hands and is able to poke balls out the other way on occasion. Most notably, Phillips has elite, game-changing arm strength and uncorked a throw in excess of 104 mph, according to Statcast, this year. Some scouts think Phillips’ patience, raw power, and ability to play center field will make him an average everyday player, but most think his inability to hit will limit him to a lesser role."

That said, these questions about his bat should make him come cheaper in a trade. Possibly much cheaper than Santana.
    Give them Wisler and Blair haha

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The Braves should definitely be on the phone with the Brewers about Santana!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-25-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    But I bet Santana or Phillips go to the Rangers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Give them Wisler and Blair haha
    Funny, Wisler probably gets DFA'd to make room if we make such a trade and need a spot. Blair still has value though as he could be a good reliever if he fails at starting. Blair went from very impressive with Arizona in tough pitching leagues to stinky fast with us. This doesn't speak well to our pitching coaches IMO. I am not as surprised about Wisler though. I knew he had a good chance to bust all along.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Wonder if we could package Flowers and a reliever/Sp for one of their OFs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    But I bet Santana or Phillips go to the Rangers.
    That makes sense with them missing out on Cain. But do they have the starting pitching to get Santana? Maybe not, I heard Cleveland rumored a while back IIRC.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-25-2018 at 08:56 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    That makes sense with them missing out on Cain. But do they have the starting pitching to get Santana? Maybe not, I heard Cleveland rumored a while back IIRC.
    Santana and Phillips are two players the Brewers didn’t think were good enough to contend with and the marlins didn’t particularly want back. They might not be super hot commodities.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Wonder if we could package Flowers and a reliever/Sp for one of their OFs
    So make another weakness in a trade?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And here we were talking about getting Cain for 3/45 or 3/50....

It never fails. We always talk about stupidly pozzy scenarios haha.

Have I learned my lesson yet? Probably not!
    Just shows those earlier reports were bogus. Likely the same for Moose.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    So make another weakness in a trade?
    Trade from the short term for the long term. He only has 1 year left.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Seems Marlins fans are mostly happy...don't know how you can be happy with settling with Brinson and the rest when you were asking other teams for players like Acuna, Robbles, and Vlad Jr (and those were just starting pieces). Seems to me those three by themselves are worth more than the 4 players they got combined. I'm not sure why anyone would be enamoured with Brinson given his age, and he's only had the one good season (which was at triple A).
    Brinson is better than any prospect the Braves have beside Acuna. They were never going to get anyone like Acuna or Vlad Jr. but of course they would ask. They got a fair trade for Yelich.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just shows those earlier reports were bogus. Likely the same for Moose.
    The GM that said that about Moose is likely a GM interested in him at a lower price.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Brinson is better than any prospect the Braves have beside Acuna. They were never going to get anyone like Acuna or Vlad Jr. but of course they would ask. They got a fair trade for Yelich.
    I'm not saying the trade wasn't fair, but I don't believe it was a win for the Marlins and the Marlins needed a win...not fair.

And Brinson is not better than all Braves prospects not named Acuna...maybe better than any other hitting prospect, but I would venture to bet he doesn't amount to much in MLB...he'll also be 24. I'm willing to say he's going to be one of those AAAA players. Too good for AAA, but never good enough to be a good regular in MLB. His minor numbers appear to be decent because he played in mostly hitting friendly leagues, and his really good numbers in the minors were likely inflated due to a high BABIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Santana and Phillips are two players the Brewers didn’t think were good enough to contend with and the marlins didn’t particularly want back. They might not be super hot commodities.
    They still have value as Santana hit 30 homeruns with 85 RBI's last year and had an .875 OPS. So despite his defense he won't likely come real cheap. Brett Phillips is ranked 80th in BA's top 100 prospects and had a .799 OPS in a small sample debut. So both certainly have value as trade pieces and the Brewers are hoping to sell high on them.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    They still have value as Santana hit 30 homeruns with 85 RBI's last year and had an .875 OPS. So despite his defense he won't likely come real cheap. Brett Phillips is ranked 80th in BA's top 100 prospects and had a .799 OPS in a small sample debut. So both certainly have value as trade pieces and my guess is the Brewers are hoping to sell high on them.
    Yeah Santana is worrisome with his 178 SOs, but he does walk quite a bit so it's not like he's clueless about the strike zone. Unfortunately unless the Braves trade Markakis they really have no need to trade for an outfielder unless it's for the bench... Phillips probably fits that bill more.
    Last edited by Orphan Black; 01-25-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Well....see ya Julio...been good

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I'm not saying the trade wasn't fair, but I don't believe it was a win for the Marlins and the Marlins needed a win...not fair.

And Brinson is not better than all Braves prospects not named Acuna...maybe better than any other hitting prospect, but I would venture to bet he doesn't amount to much in MLB...he'll also be 24. I'm willing to say he's going to be one of those AAAA players. Too good for AAA, but never good enough to be a good regular in MLB. His minor numbers appear to be decent because he played in mostly hitting friendly leagues, and his really good numbers in the minors were likely inflated due to a high BABIP.
    You are projecting Brinson to be the low end outcome for Dustin Peterson?

It will be interesting to revisit this in a couple years.