Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crunching the numbers on a Machado trade - Potential 3B Trades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd rather go after Donaldson at the deadline if he's healthy.
    i wouldn't rule it out...AA seems to like bringing in players he is familiar with
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-20-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think Donaldson would cost more than a Fried, Wisler type. Unless they'd take both for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Wouldn’t hold my breath on AA dealing with Toronto.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Really what I hope happens is the Braves just listen. Don't proactively look, see what's on the market. See who's looking to offload. Moose will be offloaded but who knows what the market will be like. If it's a buyers market then heck yeah go after him or Beltre. Hell leverage both being on the market as a way to drive down the price. But if multiple teams are looking for a 3B and we'd have to give up a B or better prospect, then they can bugger off. Braves should be looking at the best possible bargain. We weren't supposed to compete this year, and the rub with that is that sometimes when that happens the wheels on the bus fall off. While not comparable in that this team is much younger, think of the 07 Braves. From an offensive standpoint we only had one glaring hole. Scott Thorman. So theoretically you swap in one of the best in the game for one of the worst and you win more right? Well not really, we played 500 ball the rest of the way. The Phillies woke up a bit and put us to bed in September. But the reality is that we had no business being in the race at all. We were lucky because the Phillies and Mets weren't playing great ball. But both teams were better than us. They didn't put us away and going into the deadline we were mathmatically in it. But almost certainly not. Because agian, we weren't as good as philly. Cause while our lineup was pretty good, it had nothing on Howard pre-being hurt/figured out, Utley, Rollins, Rowand, and Burrell. Reality is they had one dud who held them down all year, third base. But when you have 3 MVP level bats in Utley, Howard, and Burrell, that can easily wipe out most of the rest.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Or AA will finally realize that Camargos total package is better than both
    I don't know that AA swings that way if you catch my drift.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-20-2018), jpx7 (05-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I’m thinking there will be more 3b sellers than buyers. Get the cheapest option out of Machado, Donaldson, Mous, Beltre, Lowrie and whoever else ends up being shopped.

The Braves will have no problem fitting any of those guys into the lineup no matter which side of the plate they bat.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’m thinking there will be more 3b sellers than buyers. Get the cheapest option out of Machado, Donaldson, Mous, Beltre, Lowrie and whoever else ends up being shopped.

The Braves will have no problem fitting any of those guys into the lineup no matter which side of the plate they bat.
    There's a variety of options and given the system/arms the Braves have, no excuse not to get one of those names if they want.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Will The Moose Be On The Loose?

Surprised no one had posted this elsewhere. Fits in several current threads, but probably deserves its own thread...

“There’s a growing feeling among talent evaluators” that the Braves will go after Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, according to Cafardo. That may have become even more likely Sunday when the Braves ended their brief Jose Bautista experiment, though they’re bent on giving Johan Camargo a serious look at third base for the time being. Regardless, Moustakas does seem like a strong bet to finish the season outside of Kansas City, which is rebuilding and doesn’t have him under contract beyond this season (there is a $15MM mutual option, however). Moustakas is making a very reasonable salary ($5.5MM) and enjoying a terrific year at the plate, having slashed .294/.333/.528 with 10 long balls in 195 PAs."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...x-rangers.html

Guess it got lost during yesterday's excitement.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I saw this on Twitter, but it doesn't surprise me at all. We've been in on Moose for what seems like more than a year now. I'm definitely not against it as long as the price is right.

Swap Moose and Markakis if you'd like, but either way:

Albies 2B
    Acuna LF
    Freeman 1B
    Moose 3B
    Markakis RF
    Inciarte CF
    Flowers/Zuk C
    Swanson SS

That's a damn good lineup.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    How many threads do we need about potential 3B options? We’ve discussed Moose in the threads about Machado, Beltre, and Donaldson.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    A lot of lefties.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    How many threads do we need about potential 3B options? We’ve discussed Moose in the threads about Machado, Beltre, and Donaldson.
    Agreed - I'm merging this thread.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Surprised no one had posted this elsewhere. Fits in several current threads, but probably deserves its own thread...

“There’s a growing feeling among talent evaluators” that the Braves will go after Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, according to Cafardo. That may have become even more likely Sunday when the Braves ended their brief Jose Bautista experiment, though they’re bent on giving Johan Camargo a serious look at third base for the time being. Regardless, Moustakas does seem like a strong bet to finish the season outside of Kansas City, which is rebuilding and doesn’t have him under contract beyond this season (there is a $15MM mutual option, however). Moustakas is making a very reasonable salary ($5.5MM) and enjoying a terrific year at the plate, having slashed .294/.333/.528 with 10 long balls in 195 PAs."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...x-rangers.html

Guess it got lost during yesterday's excitement.
    It’s in the math on Machado thread. Where this post is now... whoa.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 05-21-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    A lot of lefties.
    yeah no way we'd bat 4 lefties in a row

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

My feeling is there is something about Camargo the FO doesn’t like. I look for Camargo to be part of a trade to upgrade 3rd. I think Camargo plus Wisler could get anyone on the list in a buyers market. Relief pitching will bring a better return this year.

I would prefer Donaldson just because I think the market for him this offseason will be weaker than expected so there will be a chance to resign him.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    My feeling is there is something about Camargo the FO doesn’t like. I look for Camargo to be part of a trade to upgrade 3rd. I think Camargo plus Wisler could get anyone on the list in a buyers market. Relief pitching will bring a better return this year.

I would prefer Donaldson just because I think the market for him this offseason will be weaker than expected so there will be a chance to resign him.
    Possibly. They are giving Camargo the chance to nail it down for the year finally. What he does will determine what they do.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Possibly. They are giving Camargo the chance to nail it down for the year finally. What he does will determine what they do.
    Carmargo is the fat ugly third wheel to the two hot supermodel stars (albies / Acuna). AA and Snit are only hooked up with Camargo until a hotter option comes along. Look how many chances they have given two slump busters this year to play third.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Carmargo is the fat ugly third wheel to the two hot supermodel stars (albies / Acuna). AA and Snit are only hooked up with Camargo until a hotter option comes along. Look how many chances they have given two slump busters this year to play third.
    Yeah, he’s always been a place holder for 3rd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

That wouldn't be very smart to trade an affordable and useful utility player like Camargo while simultaneously "going for it." Camargo may be traded during the off-season, but he'll most certainly be here all season either as starting 3b or super sub.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

This seems to be the consensus.

IF someone whats a ton for someone then do not do it. If they want what Coppy wanted for Tehran then we ride Comargo.

In negotiations the best thing you can do is improve your fallback option. If Comargo can defense and OBP his way to be a 2-ish WAR guy at 3B (projected for a full season) then we do not have a huge hole. So you can tell everyone with a straight face that you are fine with Comargo.

All of those guys are upgrades on Comargo IMO. The way Snit double switches I bet Comargo is playing every game anyway. So you see if someone wants to give you a 1-2 win upgrade for a Simms type return. I'm not giving up on Fried unless it's for a stud. I think Machado is too much of a price and we'll have to see how healthy Donaldson is and 38 y/o Beltre is.

If Culberson is on this playoff roster it is a huge fail IMO. This market suggests we should be able to get another very useful bat that can play 3B.