Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT -- Wed, 5/23 vs Phiiiies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    The offense will not be good without acuna and dansby living up to their talent. Dansby got a double last night but I missed it...was it a fluke?

Acuna is good on defense long term imo

Need those guys to hit when neck normalizes
    It was a single that the RF tried to catch and it got by him. Turned it into a double. However, Dansby missed a two run double down the line in the second by hitting it right at someone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    9-3 vs. left handed starters on the season. Freeman and Markakis both kill lefties along with Albies. People are freaking out over a less than week long offensive drought. Also .287 .351 .483 .834 as a team vs. lefties on the season. Everyone needs to settle down.
    it's really amazing how people overreact to losses. these kind of stretches happen to literally every single team. lordy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    swanson doesn't look good with the bat at all. high Ks, low BBs, no power whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Swanson is way more concerning than Camargo. I just havent seen anything from him at the plate to suggest he's going to be decent. Really bad pitch recognition and plate discipline. No power. Rey Sanchez looked like he had more of a plan at the plate than Dans.
    Swanson is part of the reason we need to pick up one of Moose/Beltre/Lowrie with Camargo possibly moving to short. Point is we have two unproven guys manning the left side of the infield. The need for depth/upgrade there is obvious.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    it's really amazing how people overreact to losses. these kind of stretches happen to literally every single team. lordy.
    I feel like it may have more to do with this board's intense (and just) hatred of the Phillies. lol

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I feel like it may have more to do with this board's intense (and just) hatred of the Phillies. lol
    This I can get on board with.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    It would be pretty dumb to replace Swanson. Despite playing 10-16 games less than the leaders in def value at SS on fangraphs, he's still 7th in mlb. He has a fWAR of 0.8. If you break down def value per game, Swanson is at 0.14; andrelton Simmons is at 0.14 also. Will Swanson keep that pace? Who knows, but it would be dumb to replace him
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-24-2018 at 07:59 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-24-2018), mfree80 (05-24-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    The offense will not be good without acuna and dansby living up to their talent. Dansby got a double last night but I missed it...was it a fluke?

Acuna is good on defense long term imo

Need those guys to hit when neck normalizes
    I guess the idea is he learns to run better routes as he gets older before his speed leaves him?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It was probably a good thing I had a fever and missed this game

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It would be pretty dumb to replace Swanson. Despite playing 10-16 games less than the leaders in def value at SS on fangraphs, he's still 7th in mlb. He has a fWAR of 0.8. If you break down def value per game, Swanson is at 0.14; andrelton Simmons is at 0.14 also. Will Swanson keep that pace? Who knows, but it would be dumb to replace him
    despite the fact his offensive numbers have fallen, he's still been pretty fortunate with a .374 BABIP. striking out a ton.
    i'm not saying i want to replace him. he's still been a positive player and is a good defender. if he can stay where he is or slightly improve to be average with the bat, he's fine.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Swanson is part of the reason we need to pick up one of Moose/Beltre/Lowrie with Camargo possibly moving to short. Point is we have two unproven guys manning the left side of the infield. The need for depth/upgrade there is obvious.
    Camargo doesn't need to play SS. He's nowhere near the defender Swanson is, and probably won't be any better as a hitter.

I don't understand why some are so quick to give up on Swanson every time he slumps. He's had one bad year at the plate, which happened to be his age 23 season.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Camargo doesn't need to play SS. He's nowhere near the defender Swanson is, and probably won't be any better as a hitter.

I don't understand why some are so quick to give up on Swanson every time he slumps. He's had one bad year at the plate, which happened to be his age 23 season.
    I am not on the replace Swanson bandwagon. But the one bad year comment was weird. He hasn’t had one good year yet.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

is anyone giving up on swanson?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    is anyone giving up on swanson?
    See the post I quoted. It's not necessarily giving up - but it's written under the assumption that there is a strong possibility he'll need to be replaced.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    See the post I quoted. It's not necessarily giving up - but it's written under the assumption that there is a strong possibility he'll need to be replaced.
    i disagree. he was talking about 3B. having a swanson/camargo combo at SS/3B is far from ideal for a competing team. we need more stability on the left side of the infield, so we need to add a legit 3B.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not on the replace Swanson bandwagon. But the one bad year comment was weird. He hasn’t had one good year yet.
    He's sitting at 1.2 bWAR right now through a quarter of a season. His first 1/4 season as a rookie was pretty good as well. Last year he struggled - something many young players do.

Right now he's an asset to the team rather than a liability, in spite of his recent offensive slump. Some just seem ready to bail on him more quickly than they would others of a similar age. Maybe I'm reading something into it that I shouldn't though.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    i disagree. he was talking about 3B. having a swanson/camargo combo at SS/3B is far from ideal for a competing team. we need more stability on the left side of the infield, so we need to add a legit 3B.
    I agree with the need to improve 3B, but the idea that we need to do it because we might need Camargo to replace Swanson seems off to me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I agree with the need to improve 3B, but the idea that we need to do it because we might need Camargo to replace Swanson seems off to me.
    oh, i missed the "camargo moving to short" part. my bad. yeah, that's silly to me. camargo is worse defensively and won't be a better hitter, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Swanson career OPS of .679 in 837 PA. Career WAR is 1.5.

Camargo career OPS of .781 in 345 PA. Career WAR is 1.6.

After a certain point, a player has to be accepted for who he is. Failure to recognize this leads to mistakes. I make two additional points:

1) Neither Camargo nor Swanson is a proven regular. That's a fact that underlies a compelling case to add depth in the form of one of Beltre/Moose/Lowrie for the left side of the infield.

2) Camargo has a better chance (not yugely better but better nonetheless) of developing into a regular. After a certain point you have to put aside pedigree and look at production.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Swanson career OPS of .679 in 837 PA. Career WAR is 1.5.

Camargo career OPS of .781 in 345 PA. Career WAR is 1.6.

After a certain point, a player has to be accepted for who he is. Failure to recognize this leads to mistakes. I make two additional points:

1) Neither Camargo nor Swanson is a proven regular. That's a fact that underlies a compelling case to add depth in the form of one of Beltre/Moose/Lowrie for the left side of the infield.

2) Camargo has a better chance (not yugely better but better nonetheless) of developing into a regular. After a certain point you have to put aside pedigree and look at production.
    Is defensive value not production?