Page 278 of 579 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328378 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,560 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Going back to the Gray/Profar trade... am I the only one who thinks that it would be nuts for us to get Gray, the Yankees to get Profar, and the BRAVES having to be the team to send a prospect to Texas? We're talking about an extremely shaky pitcher with one year of control left vs. a 3 win utility player with 2 years of control left (and a #1 prospect pedigree). That would have been a very very sweet deal for the Yankees and they don't need any more favors from stupid teams. I'm pretty glad that trade didn't happen.

Obviously we'd have to give something up, but the Yankees giving up Gray and then us having to pay the price for Profar would have been awful.
    Last edited by BeanieAntics; 01-03-2019 at 07:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d hate to give Riley and Anderson for a guy with just 2 years left. JTR would be a big piece to the lineup though so I’m on the fence with that deal. If he had 3 or 4 years left then it’s a no brainer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’d hate to give Riley and Anderson for a guy with just 2 years left. JTR would be a big piece to the lineup though so I’m on the fence with that deal. If he had 3 or 4 years left then it’s a no brainer.
    I'd prefer to ship Newk and Riley. 2 years or not I'd be very comfortable with that. To me I think it's clear AA views Riley as very expendable. He got JD on a one year deal with several quality FA 3B set to hit the market next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'd prefer to ship Newk and Riley. 2 years or not I'd be very comfortable with that. To me I think it's clear AA views Riley as very expendable. He got JD on a one year deal with several quality FA 3B set to hit the market next year.
    I agree with that. Riley and Newk i’d do for JTR

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Cutch and Brantley deals certainly warrant some concern from Braves fans. However, there are still good options to fill cOF, but those options are dwindling.

This Robertson signing has zero relevance to the Braves.
    I think we'll sign CarGo for $5 mil on a one-and-one deal with incentives. The dude will hit 25 homers pretty easily if healthy playing his home games in STP. I don't think we are in any position to turn down a 25+ homer hitter especially and AA is said to be a bargain shopper. I think at the very worst he is plan Y with Neck being plan Z if CarGo is already off the market by the time the market settles itself out with Harper and the big fish signing.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 01-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA seems to be waiting the JTR stuff out so I ultimately think we’ll end up trading for Realmuto and then when we know what prospects we have left we’ll jump on a COF.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I think we'll sign CarGo for $5 mil on a one-and-one deal with incentives. The dude will hit 25 homers pretty easily if healthy playing his home games in STP. I don't think we are in any position to turn down a 25+ homer hitter especially and AA is said to be a bargain shopper. I think at the very worst he is plan Y with Neck being plan Z if CarGo is already off the market by the time the market settles itself out with Harper and the big fish signing.
    Carlos Gonzalez hasn't been able to hit 25 home runs playing at Coors Field and you think he'll hit 25 home runs playing at Suntrust which had the 4th lowest HR Park Factor in baseball last year? We know exactly who Cargo is right now, he's a guy that'll put up a great OPS at Coors and he'll put up a sub .700 OPS outside of Coors.

I'm really interested to hear any logical justification you have for your Cargo love, because I just don't get it. Have you looked at his stats and profile at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    This post has to be a joke. Cargo is barely a 15 HR player when healthy now... in Coors... and his stats have always been awful outside of Coors... no thanks

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Carlos Gonzalez hasn't been able to hit 25 home runs playing at Coors Field and you think he'll hit 25 home runs playing at Suntrust which had the 4th lowest HR Park Factor in baseball last year? We know exactly who Cargo is right now, he's a guy that'll put up a great OPS at Coors and he'll put up a sub .700 OPS outside of Coors.

I'm really interested to hear any logical justification you have for your Cargo love, because I just don't get it. Have you looked at his stats and profile at all?
    He is a bounce back candidate. Coors isn't what it used to be, he will wear the Chop House out for between 12-14 homers and that's just at home. Even if he only hits 20 homers it's still worth the gamble. You don't just fall off a cliff like he did after 2016 at that age. He got 114 less ABs in 2017 than in 2016 and 121 less in 2018 than 2016. 20 homers is not out of the question.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    He is a bounce back candidate. Coors isn't what it used to be, he will wear the Chop House out for between 12-14 homers and that's just at home. Even if he only hits 20 homers it's still worth the gamble. You don't just fall off a cliff like he did after 2016 at that age. He got 114 less ABs in 2017 than in 2016 and 121 less in 2018 than 2016. 20 homers is not out of the question.
    That is what happens quite often for good but not great players after 30 now that steroids aren't as prevalent.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Wait, so Coors isn't what it used to be, yet he has put up an OPS over .900 routinely there almost every year and hasn't had an OPS over .758 away from Coors field since 2013. And how old do you think Cargo is? He's freaking 33 years old. The chances of him actually improving at this point is very very low. The chances of him doing it outside of Coors field is as close to zero as a player could possibly get.

This feels like one of those situations where you saw the superficial stats, fell in love with a guy, and no amount of objective data will move you off your love of him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The marlins have messed up the jtr market. I’m not giving them actual value.

If we are ok on dealing riley then him plus newk and flowers would probably be my best offer.

Another rumor had us discussing inciarte with the reds.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    An AL executive told NBC Sports' Evan Drellich that the market for free agent right-hander Craig Kimbrel is "crazy low."

"Crazy low," the American League executive told Drellich. "The support that you have [in organizations] to pay people is getting worse. Feels like a war coming if the sight lines don't change for the better." The bullpen market is starting to dry up, but it's surprising to see Kimbrel is still on the market after being one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few seasons. There were reports that the 30-year-old was looking for something along the lines of a six-year, $100 million deal, but based on what Drellich is hearing, he may have to settle for something considerably lower than that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm convinced at this point that cOF is going to be addressed through trade and that there are numerous possibilities for us to target. I'd say there are about 15 guys who could be seen as potential targets, with probably 6-7 of them being available in a reasonable scenario for us. I'm still not worried about filling that spot. The lack of a signing concerns me more because of what it may say about our budget in 2019 and beyond.
    Just for argument's sake...

Say AA's actually willing to move Ender to "fix a corner" and the Reds are willing...

Inciarte to Cincy for Winker (saves ~ $4.5 million in 2019) and you move Acuna to CF. Trade Touki, Riley, Flowers, and a throw-in for Realmuto (adds ~ $1.5 million in 2019). Sign Austin Jackson for $3 million (or less) to back-up Acuna in CF. If he's honestly interested in Gray and Frazier you move Gohara or Fried and another piece (Wentz/Muller/Jenista?) for them and you DFA Duvall to save a little $$$ to pay Jackson. Trade Julio for anything you can get (-11 million), and add Gray's salary minus Duvall (~$6 million). You actually SAVE $5 million or more and that leaves you some money for whatever RP slips through the cracks...

Acuna (CF), Donaldson/Camargo, Freeman, Realmuto, Winker (RF)/Camargo, Frazier (LF)/Camargo, Ozzie/Camargo, Dansby/Camargo (you flip-flop Winker and Frazier depending on that day's SP)

Folty, Gray, Newcomb, Gausman, Gohara/Fried (whichever isn't traded), with Soroka/Wright/Wilson/Allard/Parsons in Gwinnett and Anderson coming

Mac, Camargo/Frazier/Winker, Jackson, Culberson

Pache and A-Jax or some strong-framing Catcher on the cheap (assuming Contreras needs more time) replace Jackson and Mac in 2020, Soroka/Wright/Anderson/Wilson replace Gray in 2020, and you have Donaldson and Gray's $$$ to either re-sign Josh or bid on Arenado or Rendon next winter (preferably a healthy Donaldson on a shorter and safer 2-3 year deal). Draft Josh Jung/Rece Hinds/Byron Stott/Tyler Callihan/Brett Baty to replace Riley as the 3B of the future and the expected arm (Stinson/Malone/Espino/Allan) with the other 1st Round pick to take Touki's place in the pile of pitching prospects.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Triumvirate of Truculent Twits assssemmmmbbblllllleee!!
    Last edited by The Chosen One; 01-04-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: This post is not relevant to current discussion.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Why not just call Austin Riley the left fielder and if he's not ready or can't play the position, find an cOF at the end of spring training?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Nats are supposedly the current front runners to sign Harper. If they go with an OF of Harper/Soto/Robles, then that means Eaton may be available. He would fit pretty well in front of JD/Freeman/Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nats are supposedly the current front runners to sign Harper. If they go with an OF of Harper/Soto/Robles, then that means Eaton may be available. He would fit pretty well in front of JD/Freeman/Acuna.
    Why would they make a trade to help us though? They'd probably demand much more than he's worth, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Why not just call Austin Riley the left fielder and if he's not ready or can't play the position, find an cOF at the end of spring training?
    We need to add a corner outfielder. But I like our depth--Riley, Camargo, Duvall, Culberson.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why would they make a trade to help us though? They'd probably demand much more than he's worth, right?
    They would demand what he is worth...their FO isn't stupid, unlike some others