Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Projecting 2018

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Nice analysis. Wonder how much we can exploit the expected purge in Miami.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    It seems really likely we're facing heavy fines when MLB penalties are released. I'm guessing that would take away from the already not huge amount of funds we have to spend this season.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Suarez' xwOBA by year have been:
    2015: 0.280
    2016: 0.307
    2017: 0.350

There have been 14 seasons of 400+ ABs by Reds hitters the last 2 years, and Suarez ranked as the 5th and 6th least lucky seasons in that group based on xwOBA. That tells me his production is legit.

In the upper minors he ran a BB% in the 8.8%-11.5% range, and a K% in the 17%-22% range. His 2017 rates of 13.3% and 23.3% fall into the range I expect from a hitter entering his peak.

His 2017 exit velocity on line drives was 92.8 mph, which is just slightly below average for all players who hit 100+ line drives last season. He hits the ball hard enough to support a legit .800+ OPS.

His BABIP the last 2 seasons was .304 and .309, which are both perfectly sustainable rates.

According to UZR/150, he is one of those bad SS but good 3B defenders, similar to Camargo. He should continue to be a plus defensively.

Suarez looks like a legit 3-4 win guy at 3B who has made real improvements as he's matured. He is going into his age 26 season and has 3 years of control remaining. If he is available, he is the guy I would like to see the Braves target. He's the only realistic option I've seen that would make me want to skip giving Camargo his shot.
    At first, I thought this might be a case of the right place, right time for the Reds to deal him, but then I found a September story that spoke of Senzel being shut down with symptoms of vertigo. Braves fans uniquely know how career threatening that can be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Suarez would be a great pickup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'd love to get Suarez or Senzel. But we should be realistic about the price. I'd project Suarez to generate 10-12 wins over the next three years and net a surplus value of 5-6 wins. To get that type of player you have to be willing to part with a Top 50 prospect. Probably someone in the 20-40 range.

We're talking about someone like Allard (#23 on BA's mid-season list) or Soroka (#33). Given his second half surge, Gohara is probably of similar value. He was ranked #76 on the mid-season list.

So do we make that sort of trade. Or try to sign someone like Nunez for 7M or so. I certainly don't think that Nunez is as good or valuable as Suarez or Senzel. But for the price, I do think he makes more sense.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd love to get Suarez or Senzel. But we should be realistic about the price. I'd project Suarez to generate 10-12 wins over the next three years and net a surplus value of 5-6 wins. To get that type of player you have to be willing to part with a Top 50 prospect. Probably someone in the 20-40 range.

We're talking about someone like Allard (#23 on BA's mid-season list) or Soroka (#33). Given his second half surge, Gohara is probably of similar value. He was ranked #76 on the mid-season list.

So do we make that sort of trade. Or try to sign someone like Nunez for 7M or so. I certainly don't think that Nunez is as good or valuable as Suarez or Senzel. But for the price, I do think he makes more sense.
    Id trade Allard plus for him without hesitation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

Yes, Suarez will cost one of Allard/Soroka plus another guy on the fringes of the Top 100. Probably some additional filler as well.

If the Braves truly think they are ready to contend, that's the kind of move they will have to make to legitimately upgrade the roster. Whether they should do it this year, next year, or the year after is certainly open for debate.

We always knew they would eventually trade pitching for hitting, the only question is when do they do it and who they target. Suarez would fill a black hole on the roster for 3 years, so he is certainly a candidate to be that guy.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Austin Riley is not that far away. We should trade for a starting pitcher like Chris Archer, Michael Fulmer or Marcus Stroman!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Nice analysis. Wonder how much we can exploit the expected purge in Miami.
    Stanton and Ozuna are obvious upgrades in the OF. Stanton is clearly out of the Braves price range (not that it will stop incessant rosterbation involving him).

Ozuna is controlled for 2 more seasons. He is projected to make $11M next year, and probably around $18M next year. Assuming 8 WAR over those 2 years, he carries ~$50M in surplus value. He will also cost one of Allard/Soroka to acquire. I don't think I'd pay that price for 2 years of an OFer when 1 of those seasons isn't likely to be a playoff caliber team.

Another OF option is Avisail Garcia from the White Sox. His last 3 seasons xwOBA are:
    2015: 0.312
    2016: 0.324 (league average)
    2017: 0.353 (Matt Kemp level offense)

Of the 29 player seasons of 250+ ABs for the White Sox over the last 3 years, Garcia's 2017 is the 5th luckiest. It would be foolish to expect him to replicate last season's .885 OPS, but .800+ is certainly within reason.

Of the 287 hitters who hit 50+ line drives last year, his 97.5 mph exit velocity ranks #14. He is a plus-plus or better ball striker. He is the same caliber hitter as Suarez, in my opinion, with fewer walks made up for by hitting the ball much harder.

Garcia is a prime candidate to join the fly ball revolution. He currently hits ~25% fly balls, which results in 15-20 HRs per year. If he increases that rate to 35%, he is a candidate to hit 30+ HRs and become the next "where did he come from?" middle of the lineup force.

While not a plus defender, he should be average or better in LF.

So what would be his cost? Projected salary of $6.7M next year with 3 years of control, let's say ~$30M over those 3 years. Assuming he produces 10 wins over those 3 years he has a surplus value in the neighborhood of ~$70M. Like Suarez and Ozuna, Garcia's acquisition price will start with 1 of Allard/Soroka, but I would expect the overall price to be a bit less than Suarez.

To me, the 3 main keepers are Wright and Gohara, so if the Braves can acquire a player with 3+ years of control at a position of extreme need like Suarez or Garcia with one of Allard or Soroka as the centerpiece, I'd be all for it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    One guy who intrigues me and I think could be a good fit for us is Max Kepler. He hasn't really busted out yet and is 5 years from hitting free agency. The Twins need pitching. A trade like Folty (who is 4 years from free agency) for Kepler is something both teams would look hard at.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    One guy who intrigues me and I think could be a good fit for us is Max Kepler. He hasn't really busted out yet and is 5 years from hitting free agency. The Twins need pitching. A trade like Folty (who is 4 years from free agency) for Kepler is something both teams would look hard at.
    Kepler hasn't topped a 0.300 xwOBA in 2 full seasons, but he does hit the ball hard (#58 of 287 in line drive exit velocity).

Good BB rate, looks like a candidate to lower his K rate a bit based on his numbers in the upper minors.

He could be a breakout candidate, but I haven't heard any indication the Twins are looking to trade away young MLB players.

A lower cost option would be Piscotty. He should be an above average hitter and produce ~2 wins in LF over the next couple years. He's the only OFer the Cards might deal that I would have any interest in, and he wouldn't cost nearly as much to acquire as Suarez/Garcia/Ozuna.

The Braves can have a Top 10 OF if they an get a 2+ win guy in LF next to Inciarte and Acuna.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-13-2017 at 04:23 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If the Braves make no moves this offseason and just rely on improvements from players on the roster to organically improve the team, here is how I project the 2018 team:

# Pos Player Salary WAR
    1 C Flowers $4.00 4
    2 1B Freeman $21.00 6
    3 2B Albies $0.55 3
    4 3B Camargo $0.55 2
    5 SS Swanson $0.55 1
    6 LF Kemp $18.25 0
    7 CF Inciarte $4.70 3
    8 RF Markakis $11.00 1

9 SP1 Teheran $8.00 2
    10 SP2 Folty $2.70 2
    11 SP3 Dickey $8.00 1
    12 SP4 Newk $0.55 2
    13 SP5 Gohara $0.55 3

14 BN1 M Adams $4.60 3
    15 BN2 Rio $0.55
    16 BN3 Santana $1.10
    17 BN4 L Adams $0.55
    18 BN5 Suzuki $3.50

19 BP1 JJ $5.00 2
    20 BP2 Viz $3.70
    21 BP3 Freeman $1.20
    22 BP4 Ramirez $0.55
    23 BP5 Minter $0.55
    24 BP6 Winkler $0.80
    25 BP7 Wisler $0.55

Total $103.05 83

I expect some fairly heavy regression at the C position (Flower's 4 WAR includes framing and some contribution from Suzuki).

I think Albies will be an above average player at 2B, Swanson will continue to underwhelm at SS, and Camargo should provide glove-first production at 3B that hovers around average.

Freeman should to continue to be a 6 WAR beast.

The OF will continue to be garbage with Inciarte starting into his defensive decline, but still posting a solid 3 WAR.

I project the rotation as a whole to naturally improve from 8.7 WAR in 2017 (#18 in MLB) to ~10 WAR in 2018 (about #15), mainly due to a full season of Gohara and the debuts of Soroka and Allard.

The BP will probably improve from 1.1 WAR in 2017 (#28 in MLB) to ~2 WAR (about #20), almost entirely due to full seasons of Winkler and Minter, as well as some regression by Freeman.

With Adams in the mix, I project the bench to provide another 3 wins.

So with no upgrades made to the roster, I'm looking at an 83 win team at the cost of $103M. Add another 1 WAR from the FA BP upgrades the FO is promising, and that's 84 wins at my projected payroll cap of ~$110M.

Now we are talking about a team worth making additions to! Acuna obviously replaces Kemp (DFA'd, nobody will take any part of him) for a 2 WAR upgrade, bringing us to 86 wins and still $110M.

The question then becomes, do the Braves sitting at 85+ projected wins dump Markakis (I think there will be teams willing to take his whole contract for no return) and use that $11M to bring in a guy like Piscotty, Avi Garcia, or Ozuna for another 1-3 win upgrade? Do they dump Dickey, trade MAdams, and use that money to bring in another SP like Odorizzi or Cobb or Sabathia?

How "all in" should the Braves go this offseason?
    I'd do zero all in. I think if we think we are 82ish wins then we go with that and see what happens. You'd be in the neighborhood to be a buyer at the deadline if you are tracking that way.

I would not use a significant player to dump Kemp. I wouldn't attach anyone to Neck to move him.

I'd be open to whatever comes along. 103 million is still pretty low. If the Marlins get desperate to move guys and you can get Ozuna by taking on a bad deal like Wei-Yen Chen I'd even consider that.

I wish we weren't purging the front office of all analytics people. Some smart subs and platoons could get us those couple of wins we need to be relevant. If the division sucks again we might be an extra win or two better than we should be too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd do zero all in. I think if we think we are 82ish wins then we go with that and see what happens. You'd be in the neighborhood to be a buyer at the deadline if you are tracking that way.

I would not use a significant player to dump Kemp. I wouldn't attach anyone to Neck to move him.

I'd be open to whatever comes along. 103 million is still pretty low. If the Marlins get desperate to move guys and you can get Ozuna by taking on a bad deal like Wei-Yen Chen I'd even consider that.

I wish we weren't purging the front office of all analytics people. Some smart subs and platoons could get us those couple of wins we need to be relevant. If the division sucks again we might be an extra win or two better than we should be too.
    I'm not inclined to make a splash either. Baseball is going through an unusual period where you have a bunch of bad teams trying to rebuild (KC, Detroit and the Marlins to join the crowd next year). This means being a 100 win team isn't quite the accomplishment it has been in the past. We just finished a season with 3 100+ win teams and a 4th one at 97. Having a lot of bad rebuilding teams also means fewer teams are really contenders for a post-season spot than usual. Teams like the Twins and Brewers (almost in their case) can sneak in with a few breaks. I would play it conservatively this off-season and keep 5-10 million in reserve in case things go our way and we find ourselves above .500 in July. Use that to fill some holes at mid-season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (10-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    According to MLBTR, the Marlins need to shed about $50M: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...0-million.html

The following players are the prime trade candidates that could be traded without eating money:

Stanton: $25M
    Gordon: $10.5M
    Ziegler: $9M
    Ozuna: $10.9M
    Prado (maybe): $13.5M

Gordon, Zielger and whatever relief they can get from Prado are no-brainers. That gets them about halfway there.

A Stanton trade finishes the task.

An Ozuna trade plus some creative way to unload Tazawa pretty much gets it done too.

If the Marlins trade Gordon and Prado, would they be interested in Camargo as part of the package for Ozuna?

What about Ozuna plus Prado for Camargo plus a FV 45/50 pitching prospect?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-13-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    According to MLBTR, the Marlins need to shed about $50M: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...0-million.html

The following players are the prime trade candidates that could be traded without eating money:

Stanton: $25M
    Gordon: $10.5M
    Ziegler: $9M
    Ozuna: $10.9M
    Prado (maybe): $13.5M

Gordon, Zielger and whatever relief they can get from Prado are no-brainers. That gets them about halfway there.

A Stanton trade finishes the task.

An Ozuna trade plus some creative way to unload Tazawa pretty much gets it done too.

If the Marlins trade Gordon and Prado, would they be interested in Camargo as part of the package for Ozuna?

What about Ozuna plus Prado for Camargo plus a FV 45/50 pitching prospect?
    I was thinking along those lines for a trade too, wasn’t sure that was enough though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd be all for an Ozuna, Ender, and Acuna outfield.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd be all for an Ozuna, Ender, and Acuna outfield.
    Once Ozuna becomes free agent what we can expect to resign him? I mean money per year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Once Ozuna becomes free agent what we can expect to resign him? I mean money per year?
    Doubt it. Ozuna is on track to be looking for at least JUp money as a FA going into his age 29 season.

The best the Braves can hope for is probably to buy out his 2 Arb years for $30M in exchange for a $20M option on his age 29 season, still allowing him to become a FA by 30.

Most likely he will not be interested in an extension this close to being a FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Shame is, during the early rebuild stages Ozuna was totally on the trade block and likely could have been had for a pittance of what he’d cost now.

I do think Miami poses a real opportunity to get some quality players at a slight discount .

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'd like to hit up the Cardinals and Brewers and make a swap for their odd men out which I think is Randall Grichuk and Brett Phillips. Teaming those 2 with Ender and Acuna would make a nice young OF for a few years.