Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I'm curious to know why whoever the Braves dealt with when negotiating these bonuses are not being punished. Seems like it takes two parties to circumvent these rules and yet no punishments are being given out on the other side.
    Manfred's statement said that he would be speaking with the Players Association about the agents / representatives of these players that were complicit in these shenanigans as well. So their penalties are forthcoming.
    Last edited by DaneHill; 11-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    When someone has no facts or logic to back up their argument they predictably resort to arguing over semantics.

The word of debate now: scapegoat.
    This is rich.

It is entirely obvious now that not only did Coppy deserve to be fired, every single organization in baseball would have fired him.

that's completely 180 degrees away from what you claimed for weeks. And here you are talking about how right you were and changing your argument. Which is probably still wrong.

I don't think Hart had much to do with firing Coppy at all. It isn't like they had a choice. And Hart was a dead man from the moment the news broke in the organization. That's completely obvious now.

Ownership cooperated completely, isn't going to fight the penalty and axed Hart as soon as they had someone else in the door.

Absentee ownership learned something horrendous and decapitated management and likely has issued directives to the new GM to take additional steps. That's the most likely way it happened.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-21-2017), zedsdead (11-21-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Hey Enscheff.... This is not about you. Quit pointing out everything you think you were right about!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    So since it's obvious they don't want the Braves to compete for the next half decade to a decade with these punishments, I would go ahead and put out the worst team imaginable every single year until the penalties are done. I'd trade every player worth a crap for prospects and put the least competitive team on the field possible. I'd put all available funds towards scouting (both domestically and internationally) so that by the time the penalties are done, we're up and ready to go while hopefully having several top 3 picks about to the hit big leagues. If they don't want the Braves to be competitive, fine, we'll intentionally suck and grab the top picks for each round for the next half decade too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think the early agreement in question was Puason.
    Yes, but they are banned from signing him because they funneled money from players in the existing class to his handler. More circumvention of the salary pools.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    While I think it was still a bit overboard, the thinking behind the penalty makes more sense than I guessed it would. We basically did the thing the League busted Boston for, right ****ing after they did so.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    So since it's obvious they don't want the Braves to compete for the next half decade to a decade with these punishments, I would go ahead and put out the worst team imaginable every single year until the penalties are done. I'd trade every player worth a crap for prospects and put the least competitive team on the field possible. I'd put all available funds towards scouting (both domestically and internationally) so that by the time the penalties are done, we're up and ready to go while hopefully having several top 3 picks about to the hit big leagues. If they don't want the Braves to be competitive, fine, we'll intentionally suck and grab the top picks for each round for the next half decade too.
    This should have next to no effect on the performance of the team for the next four or five years at a minimum.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Yes, but they are banned from signing him because they funneled money from players in the existing class to his handler. More circumvention of the salary pools.
    I love that they even bothered to put that we're barred from signing Puason when we'll only be able to spend $10,000 on a player that year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    So is anything going to happen to Hart? Banned from playing golf with any league executives for six months? Anything?
    If Americans have anything over the last decade it’s that rich executives will never, ever, be held personally accountable for any transgression they commit. They will always, without fail, pass the punishment to those below them on the power ladder....fans, homeowners, employees...anyone but the people who were actually responsible.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Yes please. Please go down that path.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-21-2017), bravesnumberone (11-21-2017), CK86 (11-21-2017), clvclv (11-21-2017), Garmel (11-21-2017), Hawk (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017), Mrs. Meta (12-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Screw it, I'm done crying over this. If Maitan and Co is the price we had to pay to excise the cancer that was Hart and Coppy, so be it. It's worth that sacrifice. I just hope AA does a better job.

That doesn't mean I'm forgiving Manfred. I'll celebrate the day he takes his own fall (as egomaniacs like Manfred tend to do). He, like Coppy, will find surprisingly few hands to catch him on his way down.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    While I think it was still a bit overboard, the thinking behind the penalty makes more sense than I guessed it would. We basically did the thing the League busted Boston for, right ****ing after they did so.
    Fine, but I want every other team investigated as thoroughly as the Braves were.

Then I want anyone guilty of wrongdoing punished equally as harshly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If Americans have anything over the last decade it’s that rich executives will never, ever, be held personally accountable for any transgression they commit. They will always, without fail, pass the punishment to those below them on the power ladder....fans, homeowners, employees...anyone but the people who were actually responsible.
    This is absolutely true. Those in power possess the power to pass the consequences down the line. Eventually you come to the realization that no matter what happens you're going to get screwed and it gives you a sense of peace.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Manfred's statement said that he would be speaking with the Players Association about the agents / representatives of these players that were complicit in these shenanigans as well. So their penalties are forthcoming.
    Thats one thing that sucks for these kids. They're all going to have to leave the only org they've known - they're losing their teammates and their agents. Now they've all gotta find new representation.

Guessing Boras gets Maitan? lol

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    This doesnt really hurt the ML team that much. We only lost i think 2 or 3, top 30 prospects.

Just hurts from a depth prospective and spending at the international market.

Still have Acuna, Wentz, Allard, Soroka, Gohara, Pache, Waters, Wilson, Wright, Riley, Alex Jackson among others. Farm system still in good shape.

Only thing that sucks is i doubt AA makes any big trades now since the depth in the system is worse. I think Maitan might have been trade bait this winter.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    They should have added a 2 year postseason ban. That would have really hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Thats one thing that sucks for these kids. They're all going to have to leave the only org they've known - they're losing their teammates and their agents. Now they've all gotta find new representation.

Guessing Boras gets Maitan? lol
    This is true. Manfred is basically casting these kids out into a lifeboat on their own in a strange foreign ocean. I would hope he would have someone assisting them in finding new representation and any other assistance they might need. They have to feel overwhelmed, though probably thrilled at the extra pay day coming up for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I'm just searching for a silver lining. I guess the good thing is it won't hurt our upcoming competitive window, but it certainly "could" contribute towards shortening it in the longer term.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Yes if the new leadership can actually run the organization with intelligence and integrity, we can be OK in the long run. Will never be great though until this absentee ownership sells or is removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts