Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Yes if the new leadership can actually run the organization with intelligence and integrity, we can be OK in the long run. Will never be great though until this absentee ownership sells or is removed.
    A more involved owner would probably have offered us some protection.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I love that they even bothered to put that we're barred from signing Puason when we'll only be able to spend $10,000 on a player that year.
    Well, he already had some cash in hand so I guess they wanted to be sure!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Lol at people blaming MLB for this. Sue over what? For doing **** we weren't supposed to be doing? Best you can do is rat on other teams if they were into this mess which a few probably are. We got conned by shady ass Johns who acted like they knew everything about running a successful organization. What a dumpster fire this is.
    I don't disagree about the catastrophe of the Braves' recent front-office, but that doesn't absolve MLB from asymmetrically enforcing their rules.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Can’t wait to see John Malone and Manfred go at it like Jones and Goodell.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-22-2017), Hawk (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Yes please. Please go down that path.

Ownership hired management to run the baseball club. I am certain that they got updates as to strategy and the cost outlays. I'm sure that management told them that they wanted to shift funds while rebuilding into Latin America and got that approval. I'm not sure Liberty Media would have had the institutional knowledge to judge whether a particular 16 year old Latin American prospect was receiving the correct amount of money. Maybe McGuirk would, but I sort of doubt it. All they really wanted the Braves to do was meet budget and not bother them while they reaped tax deductions and let the Braves appreciate.

Nonetheless, if I were McGuirk, I would be sweating my job. Good chance he steps gracefully into the sunset before too long.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    This is nothing but northern trash screwing us over. It’s a New Yorker in a New York office. We shouldn’t have expected anything different. Look at our history with the league.

They stole Tom Seaver over a techyand he ended up a Met.

They took the Super Station away from us slowing our finances while big Yankee and west coast teams in larger markets could spend with impunity.

Now they do this. Maybe the Dodgers, Mets Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers can clean up. They’ll like that. I hate Yankees.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-21-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    I'll just point out here that I hated the previous the FO from the get go and wish Frank Wren was still here

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'll just point out here that I hated the previous the FO from the get go and wish Frank Wren was still here
    I didn’t hate the Coppy FO, but I never thought they were anything better than below average. I certainly didn’t think they would do anything so recklessly stupid to damage the Braves so severely.

There were plenty of people around here that never missed a chance to tell us how smart the FO was, and how wrong we all were for disagreeing with them though.

Obviously none of them will own up to it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Even this FG article pisses me off:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...and-its-harsh/

A quick mention at the end that every team does this kind of thing as if it’s an unimportant detail.

I liked the analogy someone else came up with about jay walkers. It’s like the cops going up to a group of 30 jay walkers, grabbing the one with spiked hair, and locking him up for life while the others walk away unpunished.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Ownership hired management to run the baseball club. I am certain that they got updates as to strategy and the cost outlays. I'm sure that management told them that they wanted to shift funds while rebuilding into Latin America and got that approval. I'm not sure Liberty Media would have had the institutional knowledge to judge whether a particular 16 year old Latin American prospect was receiving the correct amount of money. Maybe McGuirk would, but I sort of doubt it. All they really wanted the Braves to do was meet budget and not bother them while they reaped tax deductions and let the Braves appreciate.

Nonetheless, if I were McGuirk, I would be sweating my job. Good chance he steps gracefully into the sunset before too long.
    Hmm, I don't know. Hard to miss if Coppy is claiming to MLB that they only spent $15M or whatever, but he had asked for $17M+ from ownership. Surely someone must have asked why or raised a red flag. Or were in on it.
    Last edited by DaneHill; 11-21-2017 at 06:27 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Even this FG article pisses me off:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...and-its-harsh/

A quick mention at the end that every team does this kind of thing as if it’s an unimportant detail.

I liked the analogy someone else came up with about jay walkers. It’s like the cops going up to a group of 30 jay walkers, grabbing the one with spiked hair, and locking him up for life while the others walk away unpunished.
    Those write ups on those prospects are rough... woof. Sounds like the bigger punishment isn’t what we had, but the players we won’t be able to sign in future years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Hmm, I don't know. Hard to miss if Coppy is claiming to MLB that they only spent $15M or whatever, but then ask for $17M+ from ownership. Surely someone must have asked why or raised a red flag. Or were in on it.
    I think the later promised money was delivered in the form of inflated signing bonuses to future prospects.

Come to think of it, that’s starting to sound like embezzlement.

I was too dismissive of future legal trouble for Coppy and friends.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Yes please. Please go down that path.

It didn't take much to get the ball rolling. Once the overpayment to Toscano was made, the slush fund was there at the disposal of Hartcoppy. It really is a form of money laundering. Similar to Manafort blowing a million bucks on persian rugs. I'm sure the persian rugs were not worth that much. The rug dealer forwarded some of the money on.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-21-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Well, we aren't going to be spending significant money on international free agency for awhile, so might as well make him an offer.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    watch Maitan end up with the Yankees..... the punishment seems overly harsh by any imagination take in to account that they retroactively start at 2015 and the penalties continue to 2020-2021 that is 7 years! not to mention the 17 million or so money they are out PLUS 13 players and a draft pick. I want to know who instigated this thing in the first place. I better start seeing other teams getting punished as well, or I will be done with the MLB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (11-21-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Well, we aren't going to be spending significant money on international free agency for awhile, so might as well make him an offer.
    The Braves can't until May 1 next year, and can't offer bonuses so that ensures that none of the prospects are going to be back in the system.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    The Braves can't until May 1 next year, and can't offer bonuses so that ensures that none of the prospects are going to be back in the system.
    I'm fairly certain that we're forbidden from re-signing any of these prospects regardless.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I'm fairly certain that we're forbidden from re-signing any of these prospects regardless.
    That's actually wrong. I can't produce the source that says so but I saw somewhere that said the Braves will be eligible on May 1 to do so though.

But the bonus ban ensures that it doesn't really matter though.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The way I understand it, all these guys are eligible to sign now but teams will be subject to 2017 signing numbers. So, any team already at or near their spending threshold for the International market would go over potentially and be subject to tax.

So, some questions leap to mind - 1. Could the players wait to sign until after J2 2018, essentially resetting their earning power? 2. The tax is supposed to go into a pool and be distributed back to clubs who don't go over, I think. Do the Braves participate in that pool? 3. How much do other teams value these guys now after having seen them in professional baseball for a year -will be informative as to how good the Braves scouting was?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    This is hardly rationalizing, but it seems to be on the mark that Maitan's early returns have not come close to matching the outlook. He's gotten bigger and thicker faster than anyone would have guessed and is already an inadequate shortstop. Bat was nothing thrilling.
    I'm much more upset at losing Gutierrez and Severino. Guessing that there are 2-3 future major leaguers in the FA group, nothing more.
    Will be very curious is any of them settle for smaller bonuses than what Braves paid out.