Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland School Shooting

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My old math teacher had a concealed carry permit.

Why are we OK with him walking in a restaurant with a gun but not a school?
    I'm not. Yes, it's legal where I live, but I'm certainly not ok with it.

To your post above re: age restrictions...that's the same kind of fuzzy all-or-nothing logic that you've previously demonstrated in this thread. Because one particular proposed measure would not have stopped one particular incident, it's held to be useless.

Say a teen breaks into the liquor cabinet, takes a few pops, then hops into a car and kills a pedestrian. That means that checking ID for liquor purchases is fruitless, right?

Besides, the measure at issue in the tweet pertained to rifles. It's sloppy reasoning all around. The question to ask is how this kid has access to a handgun, and if we're best served as a society to have such weapons so numerous and relatively easy to obtain by legal or illegal measures.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (03-24-2018), goldfly (03-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Like the teacher in Dalton, TN who recently brought a gun to school during school hours and shot off a round?

Teachers do not need to carry guns nor should we ask them to. It creates more risk than it saves, IMO. The answer is more police presence in the schools.
    This is where I'm at as well.

I have a feeling the proponents of arming teachers are chasing fool's gold. A few negative gun events involving teachers would do far more damage to the gun rights cause than Parkland did. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm not. Yes, it's legal where I live, but I'm certainly not ok with it.

To your post above re: age restrictions...that's the same kind of fuzzy all-or-nothing logic that you've previously demonstrated in this thread. Because one particular proposed measure would not have stopped one particular incident, it's held to be useless.

Say a teen breaks into the liquor cabinet, takes a few pops, then hops into a car and kills a pedestrian. That means that checking ID for liquor purchases is fruitless, right?

Besides, the measure at issue in the tweet pertained to rifles. It's sloppy reasoning all around. The question to ask is how this kid has access to a handgun, and if we're best served as a society to have such weapons so numerous and relatively easy to obtain by legal or illegal measures.
    OK so it's fair to say you don't believe in any concealed carry... We're getting closer... One of these days yall will admit that you favor confiscation.

Meanwhile, my issue with the age restriction is we are denying a constitutional right to people aged 18-20, and the worst part is it won't make a bit of difference in the macro. Have yall given up on at least pretending to care about the constitution?

But, it will get us closer to that gun confiscation goal, though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    OK so it's fair to say you don't believe in any concealed carry... We're getting closer... One of these days yall will admit that you favor confiscation.
    I don't think you've paid much attention to any of the many, many gun control conversations in these forums over the years. I've never been shy about my personal feelings. I favor far stricter regulation of gun purchases and gun ownership. I support essentially banning some classes of firearms. I'm a big ol' gun-grabber. Do please quit the cutesy pretense that I'm somehow being coy or deceptive about it. I favor broadly-supported incremental gun control measures because they are politically feasible, not because of some frog-boiling master plan towards "gun confiscation." I don't even know what, legally and logistically, "gun confiscation" would entail.

Meanwhile, my issue with the age restriction is we are denying a constitutional right to people aged 18-20, and the worst part is it won't make a bit of difference in the macro. Have yall given up on at least pretending to care about the constitution?

But, it will get us closer to that gun confiscation goal, though
    OK, as to the bolded bit. First, are we? You say this with such confidence...can you spell it out for me? Why is it unconstitutional?

Next, where are you deriving the information that it "wouldn't make a bit of difference in the macro"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I don't think you've paid much attention to any of the many, many gun control conversations in these forums over the years. I've never been shy about my personal feelings. I favor far stricter regulation of gun purchases and gun ownership. I support essentially banning some classes of firearms. I'm a big ol' gun-grabber. Do please quit the cutesy pretense that I'm somehow being coy or deceptive about it. I favor broadly-supported incremental gun control measures because they are politically feasible, not because of some frog-boiling master plan towards "gun confiscation." I don't even know what, legally and logistically, "gun confiscation" would entail.
    Cool... so ignoring how prohibition has worked in other fields, and ignoring the data showing more guns have correlated with less deaths, you still favor drastically reducing a law abiding citizen's right to defend him/herself

OK, as to the bolded bit. First, are we? You say this with such confidence...can you spell it out for me? Why is it unconstitutional?

Next, where are you deriving the information that it "wouldn't make a bit of difference in the macro"?
    Why is it not unconstitutional? The 26th amendment made the legal voting age 18. The age of being in a militia at the time of the writing was 18. The age of being in the military today is 18. The onus is on your to prove why it is NOT unconstitutional to deny an 18 year old a firearm. Can you do that?

And the information about it making difference? The data shows that almost no mass shootings happen from people between those ages. So you're going to deny the rights of millions of people in order to potentially stop 5 mass shootings over 30 years... and that's making the assumption that those 5 people don't get their hands on a gun anyway.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    how does automatic weapon regulation work but if we regulate anything else it won't work?

and if more guns made us more safe, we would be the safest country in the world
    Last edited by goldfly; 03-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Can you focus hard and try to make a coherent point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    sturg, in this very thread, in response to nsacpi and me, you were unwilling to support the contention that more guns=fewer gun deaths. What's changed?

As to the constitutionality of age regulations, I can only lean on the fact that age limits on purchases have never been held to be unconstitutional. While that could change, I suppose, it seems enough to support my contention. What's your argument for asserting that Congress, or the states, don't have the power to regulate same?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    sturg, in this very thread, in response to nsacpi and me, you were unwilling to support the contention that more guns=fewer gun deaths. What's changed?
    Nothing. I said correlated. You've yet to disprove the correlation unless I missed it, though

As to the constitutionality of age regulations, I can only lean on the fact that age limits on purchases have never been held to be unconstitutional. While that could change, I suppose, it seems enough to support my contention. What's your argument for asserting that Congress, or the states, don't have the power to regulate same?
    Well, hell, they can just change the buying age to 150, and then we can get our #guncontrolnow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    And the same massive gulf in converting that correlation to causation exists as when you first posted it. Care to try to bridge it, or no?

So, no answer as to how age restrictions are unconstitutional? You have a consistent aversion to applying IRL, historical jurisprudence to your contentions about the constitution. Your position on the Masterpiece case and gun control are but two recent examples.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Dude, the Constitution is there to restrict the government from infringement.

The age law is a new infringement.

The onus is on you to say why that is legal.

So why is it not unconstitutional?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    And the same massive gulf in converting that correlation to causation exists as when you first posted it. Care to try to bridge it, or no.
    Your argument is that less guns will result in less violence.

I can show with actual data that that isn't true.

Now you need to prove why my data is not applicable. Can you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I think the courts will agree with you...but it is an interesting issue...there are obviously age limitations on certain rights...does freedom of the press include school newspapers
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Most recently, Fifth Circuit NRA vs. BATF.

I mean, that's really it.

The court held that the age of majority is a mutable status rather than a specifically enumerated right, and has varied over time and in different jurisdictions, so there's no automatic vesting of the right to purchase a firearm at 18. It certainly doesn't appear in the Constitution. It further pointed out that 18-20 y/o are still free to legally use firearms even if they are precluded from purchasing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Your argument is that less guns will result in less violence.

I can show with actual data that that isn't true.

Now you need to prove why my data is not applicable. Can you?
    Can you, though? What you have shown thus far is a multi-decade drop in the violent crime rate overlapping with an increase in gun purchases, though not in the distribution of gun ownership. I'm still not sure how that does the trick.

I could show you the gun crime rates in peer nations, all of which have distinctly fewer guns per capita, significantly stricter regulation, and exponentially lower rates of gun homicides.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Can you, though? What you have shown thus far is a multi-decade drop in the violent crime rate overlapping with an increase in gun purchases, though not in the distribution of gun ownership. I'm still not sure how that does the trick.

I could show you the gun crime rates in peer nations, all of which have distinctly fewer guns per capita, significantly stricter regulation, and exponentially lower rates of gun homicides.
    And still there is no way to stop it. We can stop selling guns, yes, ask for buybacks, yes, but the criminals will still have their weapons and sell them to those who wants weapons after they stop buying them from stores or handing in buybacks. As for the NRA, I don't think one single member has committed any type of mass shootings.

The reason why other countries don't have this issue is you can't just buy weapons like you can at Walmart thus they are not on the street to begin with. We have always been a gun toting nation since the late 1700's. The media just glamorize it more and have become the problem.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    And still there is no way to stop it. We can stop selling guns, yes, ask for buybacks, yes, but the criminals will still have their weapons and sell them to those who wants weapons after they stop buying them from stores or handing in buybacks. As for the NRA, I don't think one single member has committed any type of mass shootings.
    except laws have worked to keep automatic firearms out of the hands of people

criminals don't even use them

so your point is garbage
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    My old math teacher had a concealed carry permit.

Why are we OK with him walking in a restaurant with a gun but not a school?
    Because we can't protect our kids while they are at school if that math teacher is crazy?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    For that to happen the teacher was an idiot and should not be carrying. But mandatory training paid for my then school would eliminate that error.
    Police and military are the only ones qualified to assess a threat like that. Not only should we NOT put that sort of pressure on our teachers to have to decide whether they should or shouldn't shoot one of their students, but we shouldn't even want unqualified people attempting to protect children with a gun. You are just asking for a tragedy to happen. And sending Joe (or Jane) Blow down to the local gun range or YMCA for a "training course" is going to be sufficient training.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Monthly and it would eliminate someone who mistakenly let out a round.
    He did not mistakenly let out a round. The dude was coo coo for cocoa puffs. But he passed background checks, so I guess it's ok to let him carry a gun to protect students....