Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: C. Bethancourt to SD for RHP Kelly, and '14 International Signee R. Rodriguez (C)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I've cooled down on negative posts, Niners probably beats me out for 2016.
    For 2016?!?! Gotta be in the runnin for 2015 as well...if anyone else has negative posts at least they are based on actual knowledge

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    CB was not a defensive wiz nor did he hit

My reading of the article is the young catcher is an above avg defender with above avg arm who can hit. Not piazza hit but handle the bat hit. They gave the guy 800k. Top 30 international guy. High baseball iq

Sounds like a great return considering everyone knew we were dealing him and the front office hated him.

I think if u complain you complain about why the front office hated him and why they're were so open about it
    Well let's start by clarifying that he was 30th ranked in his class. He was top 30 by the skin of his teeth.He did not make the top 10 prospects for the Padres according to BA. He didn't make their top 30 according to MLB.com. Let's not act like this guy is some kind of high ceiling guy who's amazing.

Now I'll say i'm not upset with our return. We got rid of Bethancourt who I've not been a fan of for years. He'll be going to SD where he'll be a backup and probably somewhat successful as that. I wonder who they'll trade between Hedges and Norris.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I like it. Basically a 6 year re-set on CB with Rodriguez and they got Kelly as a throw in...

Kelly's probably done, but he could be treated basically as a second rule 5 that you don't have to return.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-10-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Just saying... I grew 4 inches between 17 and 19. It's not too common but 17 year old kids are rarely done growing their frame completely.
    It's possible, but like you said, it's not common.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I've cooled down on negative posts, Niners probably beats me out for 2016.
    I speak the truth. If that's perceived as negative from the homers than give me the crown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well let's start by clarifying that he was 30th ranked in his class. He was top 30 by the skin of his teeth.He did not make the top 10 prospects for the Padres according to BA. He didn't make their top 30 according to MLB.com. Let's not act like this guy is some kind of high ceiling guy who's amazing.

Now I'll say i'm not upset with our return. We got rid of Bethancourt who I've not been a fan of for years. He'll be going to SD where he'll be a backup and probably somewhat successful as that. I wonder who they'll trade between Hedges and Norris.
    I don't think Bethancourt was ever in our top 10 at that age, either. I remember people talked about his potential but he wasn't ever on our top prospect lists yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I said it earlier, I like the move. I was never really that high on Christian Bethancourt anyways, but I think it's a good move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Better return than I was expecting. The Braves just wanted to be done with CB so getting back a legitimate prospect is a pleasant surprise.

Catchers tend to develop more slowly than guys at other positions so the hit tool might take a few years to really manifest.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Most of these "ratings" won't qualify 17 year old playes unless they have a big year in the DSL or the like. But even we have been reserved about someone like Ventura, who had such amazing SB and assist numbers at age 17. I'm just glad to see between he and Herbert, that catching should be a strength in the system moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

Bethancourt was 18 before he was ranked on any top Braves prospects. Playing A ball... RR still hasn't played above rookie ball and is only 17... So let's not act like they are that far apart at their ages. Anyone remember where CB ranked as an international prospect? He had potential but I don't think he was super high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I speak the truth. If that's perceived as negative from the homers than give me the crown.
    Lulz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    No you speak opinion...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Don't care to research players who more than likely won't amount to anything. It's a trade for prospects for a good prospect who hasn't succeeded in the majors. Wasn't knocking the players involved in the deal. Just saying its a minor trade.
    A couple of this week's moves aren't official yet pending the passing of physicals (Bonifacio, Flowers).

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    CB was just an overhyped prospect in a Frank Wren depleted minor league system. I mean who else was there to hype up as far as position players besides Peraza and Terdo, lol and Albies in the low low minors.

So being he was young, has some good tools, all of a sudden a Henry Blanco type turns into Yadier Molina. Combine that with a lack maturity and work ethic, and he will be lucky to have a career as a backup ala Blanco. If he changes, he just might amount to something a little better, but never a star.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 12-10-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    THis might be heresy, but I wish Gondeee was one of us here. I like a lot of the stuff he posts.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    THis might be heresy, but I wish Gondeee was one of us here. I like a lot of the stuff he posts.
    You could always ask him.

I mean we have KeithLaw, clvclv, and Co-Owner of BravesCenter that post here regularly.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

drewdat (12-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    With Casey Kelly and Gordon Beckham, the Braves now have two first-round picks from the 2008 June draft. What's notable about that is that 2008 was one of the all-time stinkbomb picks for Atlanta, Brett DeVall, who retired at the age of 20 rather than undergo TJ surgery. Notice that DeVall tried a comeback in the Frontier League in 2015, however.
    Both Kelly and Beckham were drafted ahead of DeVall, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    You could always ask him.

I mean we have KeithLaw, clvclv, and Co-Owner of BravesCenter that post here regularly.
    With the blessing of The Don, I will reach out to him. I once interviewed him when I worked on show in Chattanooga.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-10-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Funny. People have poo pooed Bethancourt and for good reason. However he wasn't just crap and he has talent no matter what yall think. The adage holds true though, "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

CB simply didn't grasp the nuisances of catching. He had an arm. At lower levels that covered up his deficiencies. I've seen him from rookie ball to the majors. He never had a kick in the arse enough to make him understand what he needed to do to be successful. In any case, the return was more than I expected.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    With the blessing of The Don, I will reach out to him. I once interviewed him when I worked on show in Chattanooga.
    Sure!

I mean we're not competing with him really. He has his own thing, clvclv posts his articles here.
    Forever Fredi