Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Hart: "We had very good discussions with Price and his camp. We were competitive, right there. We offered 31 million and 7 years, he just wasn't comfortable with where we are at as far as competing in the short term. He grew up a Braves fan, therefore we will see in 3 years if he has a change of heart. He wanted to start, we want to reload the bullpen, so as of today it just wasn't a fit."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-01-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Pretty scary to think about the pool of almost-ready talent the organization could amass if they actually traded Miller, Freeman, and Teheran in the next week or so.
    Also scary to think how bad the team would be in 2016.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Price gets $30 million per year for seven years from the Red Sox. Holy Christ, these prices are insane. It's only baseball, for God's sake.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-02-2015), buck75 (12-01-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Price gets $30 million per year for seven years from the Red Sox. Holy Christ, these prices are insane. It's only baseball, for God's sake.
    A baseball league that generates about 8 billion in revenue a year.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Hart: "We had very good discussions with Price and his camp. We were competitive, right there. We offered 31 million and 7 years, he just wasn't comfortable with where we are at as far as competing in the short term. He grew up a Braves fan, therefore we will see in 3 years if he has a change of heart. He wanted to start, we want to reload the bullpen, so as of today it just wasn't a fit."
    PLEASE QUIT WITH THIS CRAP. To the new and uninitiated, Millwood writes fiction. One a good day, it's satire. On other days, it's mean-spirted and hateful as he tries to poison the legit discussion.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Also scary to think how bad the team would be in 2016.
    If it significantly improves the overall outlook for the future, not doing so would be incredibly shortsighted.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    If it significantly improves the overall outlook for the future, not doing so would be incredibly shortsighted.
    Oh I agree. I just think that would go in the face of the 'we wont be as bad next year' talk. Not that it really matters what they say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I personally lost all respect for Price when he said resigning with the Rays wasnt about money, it was about respect, but the only way they can show that respect is by paying him more than anyone else will. Atleast Greinke came right out and said he will play for a last place team if they are the high bidder. I can respect greed. I cant respect a greedy person that lies about it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-02-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    how much are the owners making while the players are making this? It's only baseball, for Gods sake
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Pretty scary to think about the pool of almost-ready talent the organization could amass if they actually traded Miller, Freeman, and Teheran in the next week or so.

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I personally lost all respect for Price when he said resigning with the Rays wasnt about money, it was about respect, but the only way they can show that respect is by paying him more than anyone else will. Atleast Greinke came right out and said he will play for a last place team if they are the high bidder. I can respect greed. I cant respect a greedy person that lies about it.
    Cough*A-Rod several years ago*Cough.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think Zobrist is the exception to that rule. For a team in win now mode, he's basically the perfect missing piece signing. The years are relatively short, so you sign him for your window and if he sucks at the end of the contract you live with the consequences.

Washington, St. Louis, or the Mets would be great landing spots for him.
    Washington has been after him for years. I expect them to be on on him, but they have a big of a log jam at in the infield.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    To those who just treat this all as a business, which it truly is and has been: Both the owners and the players are making crap loads of money, but a guy used to be able to go out to the ballpark, get a good ticket for $10 or $20 and have a beer and a hot dog for $3 apiece. I'm not trying not to sound like an old crank here, but if you can't get into the ballpark for less than $50 to $60 these days. If you want to take your family, you almost have to take out a second mortgage. Some of that's simple inflation, but prices for everything involved at the ballpark have greatly outpaced that. We can blame either or both sides of the equation, but that doesn't blunt the fact that fans are paying a lot more to get to the game.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (12-02-2015), NinersSBChamps (12-02-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    To those who just treat this all as a business, which it truly is and has been: Both the owners and the players are making crap loads of money, but a guy used to be able to go out to the ballpark, get a good ticket for $10 or $20 and have a beer and a hot dog for $3 apiece. I'm not trying not to sound like an old crank here, but if you can't get into the ballpark for less than $50 to $60 these days. If you want to take your family, you almost have to take out a second mortgage. Some of that's simple inflation, but prices for everything involved at the ballpark have greatly outpaced that. We can blame either or both sides of the equation, but that doesn't blunt the fact that fans are paying a lot more to get to the game.
    That's true but I think that goes for entertainment as a whole. Look at the rising cost of movie tickets over the years.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Yeah, and there were some typically genius observations here on the forum that the Braves were clearing salary to take a run at him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't think anyone expected us to make a run at Price. There is one poster who kept banging the drum saying we SHOULD make a run at price. But I don't think even he thought it was going to happen.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Mercy.

‏@FeinsandNYDN
    One major-league executive said he's hearing the Dodgers may give Zack Greinke six years for $210 million, which would be $35 mil per year.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Mercy.

‏@FeinsandNYDN
    One major-league executive said he's hearing the Dodgers may give Zack Greinke six years for $210 million, which would be $35 mil per year.
    Jesus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Mercy.

‏@FeinsandNYDN
    Good Lord in heaven. Wow.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Mercy.

‏@FeinsandNYDN
    That's a lot of cheddar. What's funny is that we hear talk/speculation about the Braves not being able to afford two 20 million dollar players and the Dodgers are going to have two 30 million dollar players.