Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grindr

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Grindr

This hasn't gotten any play yet, I'm not usually one to start threads over here but this needs to be posted so everyone can laugh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...entrandom_1_na

When will the republicans stop letting the religious right ruin them? It seems to me like they're resulting in way more shady behavior to hide being gay than out politicians. I don't think you'd find Barney Frank on Grindr or trying to have anonymous sex in a truck stop.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Tomahawking4life (04-29-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    A politician is a hypocrite????

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-29-2015), jpx7 (04-29-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    All Dems are idiots
    All Republicans are idiots
    All Libertarians are half the idiots from the two above
    Independents are not idiots.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I don't think this has anything to do with politics. A lot of people still have problems with homosexuality.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Wow, the LGBT community outing one of their own for political gain. Pathetic.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It seems to me like they're resulting in way more shady behavior to hide being gay than out politicians. I don't think you'd find Barney Frank on Grindr or trying to have anonymous sex in a truck stop.
    This is a pretty loaded comment.

Grindr is no more 'shady' than Tinder.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-29-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Wow, the LGBT community outing one of their own for political gain. Pathetic.
    I wouldn't go throwing stones—especially at an entire group. It's a complicated issue—and members of the LGBTQ community have widely varying opinions and feelings on the rightness and justifiability of a move like this. In the end, one kid from Bismark acted in accord with his conscience, but plenty of his fellow LGBTQ wouldn't approve, and the article even remarks that he faced criticism in his home city for the outing.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I wouldn't go throwing stones—especially at an entire group. It's a complicated issue—and members of the LGBTQ community have widely varying opinions and feelings on the rightness and justifiability of a move like this. In the end, one kid from Bismark acted in accord with his conscience, but plenty of his fellow LGBTQ wouldn't approve, and the article even remarks that he faced criticism in his home city for the outing.
    Ultimately, I don't think outing anybody is acceptable under virtually any circumstance.

I understand why the 'outer' felt it was conscionable, but I also respected the Congressman's assertion that he was separating his own personal beliefs from the beliefs of his constituency when he voted against the bill.

I don't really see that as incredibly hypocritical -- especially given the circumstances; this guy would not have ever been elected if he was open about his sexuality from the get-go. And he will probably eventually lose office because of it. That, to me, is the most upsetting aspect of his entire controversy and something that the Grindr boy didn't fully account for when he shamed this guy out in the open.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-29-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    This is a pretty loaded comment.

Grindr is no more 'shady' than Tinder.
    Here was a story I linked to in a different thread. The hate of the LGBT crowd to ANYONE that may oppose gay marriage is astounding:

Link

Ian Reisner, one of the two gay hoteliers facing boycott calls for hosting an event for Senator Ted Cruz, who is adamantly opposed to same-sex marriage, apologized to the gay community for showing “poor judgment.”

Mr. Reisner put the apology on Facebook, where a page calling for a boycott of his properties, the gay-friendly Out NYC hotel and his Fire Island Pines holdings, had gotten more than 8,200 “likes” by Sunday evening.

“I am shaken to my bones by the emails, texts, postings and phone calls of the past few days. I made a terrible mistake,” wrote Mr. Reisner.

The New York Times first reported on the event, a dinner and on April 20, at the duplex Mr. Reisner and his business partner Mati Weiderpass co-own on Central Park South in Manhattan. The event was a “fireside chat” for about a dozen people, but was not a fund-raiser.

The two men are prominent figures in the gay rights community, and Mr. Reisner has been especially vocal about same-sex marriage. He’s also a staunch supporter of Israel, as is Mr. Cruz.

But Mr. Cruz has also introduced legislation to try to preserve the rights of states to maintain their bans on same-sex marriage and he has called for pastors to hold prayer services while the Supreme Court hears arguments on April 28 over the legality of the bans.

Last week, Mr. Reisner and another attendee said Mr. Cruz didn’t explicitly say he opposed same-sex marriage at the catered dinner, but said that the issue was best left to the states. Mr. Cruz, who is hoping to appeal to evangelical voters in the Iowa caucuses, said he had voiced his strong religious opposition to same-sex marriage at the dinner.

Mr. Cruz faced some backlash among conservatives over the event, but it was nothing compared to the criticism both Mr. Reisner and Mr. Weiderpass faced from the gay community.

“I was ignorant, naïve and much too quick in accepting a request to co-host a dinner with Cruz at my home without taking the time to completely understand all of his positions on gay rights,” Mr. Reisner said.

“I’ve spent the past 24 hours reviewing videos of Cruz’s statements on gay marriage and I am shocked and angry. I sincerely apologize for hurting the gay community and so many of our friends, family, allies, customers and employees. I will try my best to make up for my poor judgment. Again, I am deeply sorry.”

Mr. Reisner’s apology came before a scheduled protest march in front of Out NYC.

In addition to the boycott calls, Broadway Cares, an H.I.V.-AIDS fund-raising and grant-making organization, canceled an annual event at a nightclub that the two men own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Also - it's important to note that just because he is gay - doesn't necessarily mean he should be voting in favor of something that his constituents overwhelmingly don't want.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Also - it's important to note that just because he is gay - doesn't necessarily mean he should be voting in favor of something that his constituents overwhelmingly don't want.
    if someone doesn't have the courage to vote for something cause the constituents are wrong, then i have no respect for you as a person

so, you lose an election maybe? you did the right thing and did it with honor instead of doing the wrong thing to keep getting elected
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Tomahawking4life (04-29-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Here was a story I linked to in a different thread. The hate of the LGBT crowd to ANYONE that may oppose gay marriage is astounding:
    Because no one ever in the history of ever has had a political opinion and put their money where their mouth is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The hate of the LGBT crowd to ANYONE that may oppose gay marriage is astounding:
    this is a weird tactic imo from Bedbell, Yourself now and i guess others

it's from the same line of action of "liberals are so open minded afterall, they don't respect my opinion to deny rights to others"

if the other side of the issue is fighting to treat you like a 2nd class citizen and not equal as everyone else

then i don't really care to hear about "the hate from the LGBT" community.

I can only imagine the amount of "hate" I would fight with to be viewed as equal if i was in their shoes or anyone else being viewed as not equal
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    if someone doesn't have the courage to vote for something cause the constituents are wrong, then i have no respect for you as a person
    I want my politicians to be public servants. I want them to be my mouthpiece. I don't respect a politician who gets elected under certain pretenses and then dances in the other direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

so, you lose an election maybe? you did the right thing and did it with honor instead of doing the wrong thing to keep getting elected
    That's not necessarily the point of a representative democracy. I don't disagree with you, but you could make the same argument for hundreds of other things.

Like a law maker overwhelmingly believes guns are a constitutional right, but everyone in LA wants them banned...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    this is a weird tactic imo from Bedbell, Yourself now and i guess others

it's from the same line of action of "liberals are so open minded afterall, they don't respect my opinion to deny rights to others"

if the other side of the issue is fighting to treat you like a 2nd class citizen and not equal as everyone else

then i don't really care to hear about "the hate from the LGBT" community.

I can only imagine the amount of "hate" I would fight with to be viewed as equal if i was in their shoes or anyone else being viewed as not equal

Sorry - but getting access to a wedding cake is not a right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I want my politicians to be public servants. I want them to be my mouthpiece. I don't respect a politician who gets elected under certain pretenses and then dances in the other direction.
    well, it's a republic for a reason instead of a direct democracy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    That's not necessarily the point of a representative democracy.
    It's one of the fundamental structural problems of representative democracy*, at least as it's practiced in this nation.

*Not that I'm ready to propose any superior solution to the quandary of governance.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    well, it's a republic for a reason instead of a direct democracy
    Republic: Real legitimacy for political decisions comes from the elected representatives and is derived from the will of the people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's one of the fundamental structural problems of representative democracy*, at least as it's practiced in this nation.

*Not that I'm ready to propose any superior solution to the quandary of governance.
    Sure... populism doesn't equal right. But it's worth considering that 90% of the people he is supposed to represent doesn't want gay marriage (or whatever the story was)... Is he supposed to give them the finger?