Thread: Who Are We Rooting For? (Playoff Matchups)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Who Are We Rooting For? (Playoff Matchups)

I hope this isn't looked at as a jinx thread, but I think it's fair to say we're going to the playoffs (Baseball Prospectus has our odds at 100% for playoffs and division). There are 38 games left for us, and with a 15.5 lead over the Nats,

So the question now becomes, who do we ideally want to face in the playoffs, and on that note who we should root for to get the ideal matchups.

Currently, we have a 3.5 game lead on the Dodgers and Pirates for the best record, the Cardinals are 1 game back in the Central and are in the top wild card spot, and the Reds are 3rd in the central, 2.5 back of the Cardinals and in the 2nd wild card spot.

Really, the only other team with an outside shot of a wild card spot is the Diamondbacks, currently 5 games back of the Reds.

So, who do we root for from here on out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I want no part of LA and to a lesser degree St. Louis. I think we would spank Pitt and Cincy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I want no part of LA and to a lesser degree St. Louis. I think we would spank Pitt and Cincy.
    I think that Pittsburgh is the best match up for us, followed by Cincy. Especially if we end up with the best record and either of those teams has to burn their #1 starter in the wild card game.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The only reason I wouldnt mind St Louis is because they'd have to burn Waino in the play in game. Would only get him once.

I think they end up eventually taking the Central though.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Be careful what you wish for. Any team can be very tough in a short series. I just hope we are playing good baseball when that time comes.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (08-19-2013), Dalyn (08-19-2013), Hawk (08-19-2013), jpx7 (08-19-2013), Krovahn (08-19-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Any team can be very tough in a short series. I just hope we are playing good baseball when that time comes.
    Exactly.

Wanna know who I am rooting for? The Braves..If we play like we should, there isnt much stopping us, let alone in a 7 game series..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackwaterPark For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-19-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I say bring on the Dodgers! They don't scare me. We are playing almost as well as they are. Me thinks they burn themselves out when October hits because they had to play magical baseball to even make the playoffs.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I always worry about the Braves in the playoffs - no matter who they play! We always seem to either suck out loud or have bad-luck-itis. It has been since the early-mid 90s that we have really won some playoff games. I am praying that we will be at the beginning a hot streak right at playoff time...if our team confidence level is high at the time, then we win it all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Exactly.

Wanna know who I am rooting for? The Braves..If we play like we should, there isnt much stopping us, let alone in a 7 game series..
    That's simply not true. Some teams are built for the long haul of a season, and that's us. When you've got teams with top heavy rotations like the Dodgers, it gives them a distinct advantage in the playoffs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-19-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Dodgers are, on paper, the team to beat, so I'm happy if we avoid them in the first round. Best way to do that, of course, is to be the #1 seed and play the wild card winner as the WC winner can't stack their rotation for the playoffs, they have to win the WC game.

You also avoid the Dodgers if they are the #1 seed, which could happen as hot as they are.

Winning a playoff series (finally) would make a huge difference in the way we are perceived around baseball and might even translate to a better product on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I'm rooting for the Reds to take that division and I would love to play the Pirates to kick off our post season. And actually, the only reason I'm hoping to avoid the Dodgers is because of Kershaw. I'm not afraid of their offense either. Kershaw is the one player that makes them special in my opinion.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Since they're technically still in it, I say the Diamondbacks. But out of the ones probably going, I'd like the Reds or Pirates in a short series. But as mentioned, the main thing is that we're playing good baseball and not just coasting into October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Whoever plays the Dodgers in the first round.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Dodgers don't scare me. I think Puig will have to get the Vlad treatment of throwing things way out of the zone.

It's the Dodgers pitching that worries me. I know they have Puig, Gonzales, Rameriz, etc. But Braves vs Dodgers seems like a lot of 3-1 type games to me. Could come down to whomever gets lucky and hits a few out. I think Minor and Tehran are a little homer prone, but we have lots of power potential.

I don't want to play any of those teams. They are all very good. We couldn't get Choo out when he played in ATL.

I don't think there is anyone to be scared of in the field. But Pitt is the only team I'd feel good against and that still is tough.

We have to get CF or 2B to become an offensive asset if we are going to go far.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I'm rooting for Cincy. I'm 3.5 hours from Atlanta and just about 4 hours from Cincinnati. I could conceivably attend the entire series if I adjusted my work schedule properly.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Kershaw is the one player that makes them special in my opinion.
    I concur; I think most of the remainder of the Dodgers' roster is a bit overrated, but Kershaw is legitimately devastating.

Still, as the old maxim reads: Anything can happen when two dudes meet in the playoffs, cuz.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Going to go outside the box and say I think we can beat the Dodgers in a short series and would rather face thr Pirates in 7. Pirates would be hungry in 5 and may pull off an upset.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Dodgers are very good, but also reaping the benefits of an insanely easy schedule. Only played about about 5 teams with a winning record since the start of June I believe. To their credit, they have played very well against those 5 winning teams, but still, it helps when you don't play good competition.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    i just want to see a playoff series win

also, i hope the braves season doesn't end on a crappy note
    last year: infield fly
    2011: choke
    2010: brooks conrad
    2005: 18 inning loss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    If I had to put them in order of who I wanted to face it would go Pirates/Reds/Cards/Dodgers. I am not scared of any team, we are capable of winning 2-1 games as well as any team. We have a team that can hit mistakes for homers and not have to string together 3 hits to score a run. I REALLY like our 1-2-3 in the lineup.

Also I have to say I am still pissed about that 2005 loss. How the F can a ball hit a line on a wall and be called a homer. You cant draw arbitrary lines on a wall, the idea of a home run is going over the fence, not an arbitrary line drawn on a wall. Even so the ball hit the line, at the least it should have to be over the line.