Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves in the mix for Cuban Shortstop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    4-5 million a year for Uggla is a good deal.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Yeah I think the writing is on the wall for Dan. If there is any way we can ship him out in the off-season you have to think FW will do it and let la Stella and Pastornicky battle it out for the 2b unless we can land this guy. I'm all for going after this guy. It seems the Cuban players have really panned out as of late and like Cespedes and Puig I'd be willing to bet he will have a really good first year but like Cespedes may come back down to earth in his second year.

I think a 4 years deal for 16-18 mil. would be a good deal. I think he could hit .280/20/75 his first year and at 2b that's all-star territory. Great build with a really nice swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The Braves may be considering him as our potential third baseman after CJ too. But again I don't see us outbidding the Dodgers if they really want him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The Braves may be considering him as our potential third baseman after CJ too. But again I don't see us outbidding the Dodgers if they really want him.
    I say let the Dodgers over pay for him. I think he will be a solid player who will have a great first year but once his scouting report gets around it could be like Cespedes and Puig will come back down to earth. I see a lot of Frenchy in Puig.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teheran_49 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-20-2013)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    The fact they're taking a look at him, leads me to believe that perhaps the Braves have become disenchanted with Dan Uggla and are looking for a replacement.
    I think forcing him to stop stinking up their batters box and go get LASIK was our first clue.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    I say let the Dodgers over pay for him. I think he will be a solid player who will have a great first year but once his scouting report gets around it could be like Cespedes and Puig will come back down to earth. I see a lot of Frenchy in Puig.
    My big problem is that Puig is an asshole.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-20-2013), pfiggy (10-23-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Dodgers will be back on bottom before too long. Ethier contract is already looking like an albatross. Kemp's may be as well if he can't stay on the field. Crawford and Gonzo will be in Ethier category before too long. Some awful, awful, contracts they have.
    money is not an issue-they get more money from their TV contract than anybody else, way more than most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    The fact they're taking a look at him, leads me to believe that perhaps the Braves have become disenchanted with Dan Uggla and are looking for a replacement.
    Yup, Guerrero's 26, they're not looking at someone who is going to spend 6 years in the minors. And this isn't utility infielder money they're talking about, either.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    My big problem is that Puig is an asshole.
    Most of the Cuban players come across like that. Language barrier, their culture, machismo, whatever the factors are, Cuban players are stereotyped as bad teammates. Unfortunately for some, they earn the rep honestly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Can the Braves ownership just please excite their fanbase just one time with a big ticket signing on the international front? If we end up getting a Cespedes or Puig type player we are going to be dominant.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Can the Braves ownership just please excite their fanbase just one time with a big ticket signing on the international front? If we end up getting a Cespedes or Puig type player we are going to be dominant.
    Kawakami wasn't exciting for you??

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (08-20-2013), JohnAdcox (08-20-2013), jpx7 (08-20-2013), Krovahn (08-20-2013), thethe (08-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If there is finally disenchantment with Uggla, now that Angels have placed Aybar on waivers and say that Kendrick is available. My question, would anyone be interested in Aybar for Uggla and a little money as opposed to lots of money later on.

Aybar sould be owed 25M or so over next 3 years and would be viewed as a costly bench player who can settle the need for Janish or even Pastornicky.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yup. Its not right.
    I don't know about "not right". They got a giant TV deal. I'm glad the players will benefit instead of the owners just pocketing all that cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    I don't know about "not right". They got a giant TV deal. I'm glad the players will benefit instead of the owners just pocketing all that cash.
    Thats not the part that is "not right" to me. Its the uneven playing ground that these teams are on. You can't say to the sport is fair when one team can spend 200 million dollars and some teams would lose money spending 60 million.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    If there is finally disenchantment with Uggla, now that Angels have placed Aybar on waivers and say that Kendrick is available. My question, would anyone be interested in Aybar for Uggla and a little money as opposed to lots of money later on.

Aybar sould be owed 25M or so over next 3 years and would be viewed as a costly bench player who can settle the need for Janish or even Pastornicky.
    Wait so we won't pay Uggla 26 million over the next 2 years, but we'd pay Aybar 25 over 3?

Now all that said. I would make the trade if we knew we'd get max value for Johnson in the offseason. Because in one fell swoop we could redo our team. Imagine if you will

2B - LaStella
    RF - Heyward
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freeman
    C - Mac (though honestly I think he's probably have to go)
    CF - Bossman
    SS - Simmons
    3B - Aybar

We'd go from weak at 3B and 2B to potentially strong at both.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I'd get excited for this guy. It would be great to get rid of Uggla's money and replace him with a cheaper, better player. I'd like to see this happen just to think that we have some hope of getting out of Uggla's contract.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    But . . . but . . . but. . .

We're not a team that can afford to pay someone who is playing for someone else, but something tells me that's what we'll be doing with Uggla. And like ramadon says, there will be a market for him in the AL.

If the Braves aren't disenchanted with Uggla, there is something seriously wrong with the folks making the decisions. He's league average offensively, but I don't care what the metrics say, the guy is not a good 2B. He plays "bat" and if he's not hitting, he doesn't bring enough to the table otherwise to earn his keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Wait so we won't pay Uggla 26 million over the next 2 years, but we'd pay Aybar 25 over 3?

Now all that said. I would make the trade if we knew we'd get max value for Johnson in the offseason. Because in one fell swoop we could redo our team. Imagine if you will

2B - LaStella
    RF - Heyward
    LF - Justin
    1B - Freeman
    C - Mac (though honestly I think he's probably have to go)
    CF - Bossman
    SS - Simmons
    3B - Aybar

We'd go from weak at 3B and 2B to potentially strong at both.
    It would give 4 more Mill to sign Mac, strengthen the bench, eliminate the need for Janish, another credible bat on the bench. And, dont forget Johnson is a super 2. Who knows what he will cost.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Johnson is arb 2 I assume you meant to say.

Aybar makes way too much to ride the bench. And honestly he's too good to ride the bench as well.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Johnson is arb 2 I assume you meant to say.

Aybar makes way too much to ride the bench. And honestly he's too good to ride the bench as well.
    As a super 2 doesnt he get 4 arb years? If that is the case then soon he will be much too costly for the Braves to keep. Ergo, Aybar in waiting so to speak.