Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ozzie debut tonight

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    But if they think guys are ready they're going to call them up. Looks like they were wrong on Swanson (though Coppy said he wasn't ready), but if they feel Albies is good to go then they're going to do it.
    I'm aware of what the Braves are going to do. Just doesn't make it the right decision for the future of the team.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Albies has essentially played a full season at AAA.

How much more should he have to play there?
    How ever long the AAA season lasts plus two more weeks

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

CK86 (08-02-2017), Julio3000 (08-02-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    They stuck with him for 3.5 months when he was embarrassing himself at the plate and in the field. I think they tried for as long as possible.
    Embarrassing is a strong word with some of the other players on the team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    How ever long the AAA season lasts plus two more weeks
    I'm happy the organization doesn't think like this. Its a big FU to a player that deserves the promotion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Boys, our front office is incompetent

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    It's a guy that says he is friends with a former Yankees scout that still has good connections on a different board. No it's not an official post but that's just to give a feeling.
    I'm friends with a guy who's buddies with a dude that knows Clayton Kershaw's third cousin. Said he heard Kershaw needs to work on his curveball.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    They stuck with him for 3.5 months when he was embarrassing himself at the plate and in the field. I think they tried for as long as possible.
    To be as constantly positive as you are, you sure are ready to throw our players under the bus pretty quickly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Then so are most around baseball. Including the genius Rick Hahn.

I don't like or agree with the decision, but these FOs all know about service time and how it works yet still choose to call up top prospects late in the year. They clearly have reasons for doing it. Again, I disagree that those reasons are worth losing a year of control, but it's not as though they just don't know how service time works.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm friends with a guy who's buddies with a dude that knows Clayton Kershaw's third cousin. Said he heard Kershaw needs to work on his curveball.
    You've really upgraded from Greg Holland.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-02-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I have no clue. I hope they have a plan. We'll see how it plays out in the long run. But they could be calling up a few major pieces next year. I don't think you want to call up Albies, Acuna, Wright, Soroka/Gohara all in one season, right?
    I think if a team is rebuilding and is on a limited budget (perceived or real we don't know), you bring guys up in waves and not all at once. Try to manage service clocks while fielding a team that looks like it knows what it is doing. I worry that the front office is putting the team in a netherworld.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think that's overboard, they clearly IMO aren't incompetent, but they have strengths and weaknesses.

They have done really well in the draft, international signings, and have nailed several trades.

They've missed on a couple big trades and don't seem to maximize service time.

I look at our farm system and don't see how an incompetent FO could have built that. I also see a FO that stood pat at the trade deadline and didn't do anything stupid.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You've really upgraded from Greg Holland.
    Greg's new baby has everyone here up in arms. Cute kid though. Gotta love those brushes with greatness, no? LOL.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'm aware of what the Braves are going to do. Just doesn't make it the right decision for the future of the team.
    isn't necessarily wrong, either. time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    To be as constantly positive as you are, you sure are ready to throw our players under the bus pretty quickly.
    Whose throwing anyone under the bus.

Dansby was embarssing himself. That is a fact. Making mental mistakes in the field resulting in terrible errors and being the worst slider hitter in recent memory.

He needs to go back to AAA and refine his game. This is not me saying he is done. He needed to be sent down.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Then so are most around baseball. Including the genius Rick Hahn.

I don't like or agree with the decision, but these FOs all know about service time and how it works yet still choose to call up top prospects late in the year. They clearly have reasons for doing it. Again, I disagree that those reasons are worth losing a year of control, but it's not as though they just don't know how service time works.
    Fans are dying to get on the Braves FO. Its been a recurring theme since the savior was traded.

Fact is more teams promote when ready then use service time as the primary factor.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I wouldn't call a FO who has nailed drafts the way this one has "incompetent" but alrighty.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-02-2017), Preacher (08-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think if a team is rebuilding and is on a limited budget (perceived or real we don't know), you bring guys up in waves and not all at once. Try to manage service clocks while fielding a team that looks like it knows what it is doing. I worry that the front office is putting the team in a netherworld.
    There is a huge line between incompetent and failing to go by the internet experts bible on prospect promotion.

It's not nearly as big an issue as it is being made out to be. Player control will end sometime and its not always the case that an organization must totally maximize control over every player.

To me, Atlanta had options in the majors and in AAA to keep Albies down to save the extra season and that's what I would have done. They could still very easily find a way of getting that extra season back if he isn't great. If not, it isn't anything remotely approaching the end of the world. In six years, someone may say what if we still had a year of arbitration Albies the Front Office is stupid or maybe they won't.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    I wouldn't call a FO who has nailed drafts the way this one has "incompetent" but alrighty.
    Easy to say they have nailed drafts when there hasn't been enough time for any real attrition.

I do think they have done well drafting, but disagree with the all pitching mentality.

Anyways, they seem incompetent to me with regards to evaluating major league talent and optimizing the major league roster for long term success

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    .244 avg with 24% K rate in his last 10, coupled with no positional need in an already crowded infield.. The obvious choice is to promote him to Atl and start his clock, cost him rookie eligibility, and probably ride the bench most nights.
    Enscheff mini-me.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Enscheff mini-me.
    Heh.

Sounds like they intend to play him.

Playing guys at the major league level is another way to help them develop. In fact, it's pretty rare that the players just come up and start pouring numbers into a spreadsheet within 1 standard deviation of what will eventually be their career norm. See Foltynewicz, Michael.

I feel a little bad for Brandon Phillips, who is a good guy who can still help a ballclub. Glad they were upfront with him when he came over. Hopefully they can find him a good situation where he can help a contender down the stretch.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-02-2017)