Thread: THURSDAY MINORS ROUNDUP 5/3/18: Time to bump up a few guys

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

THURSDAY MINORS ROUNDUP 5/3/18: Time to bump up a few guys

A look at the career to date stats on Bryce Wilson:

39 games (36 starts), 184 innings, 138 hits allowed, 50 walks, 187 strikeouts, 13-8 record, and 2.01 ERA before last night's 6.2 scoreless start. That actually lowers it below 2.00!
    This year, no joke, his ERA is 0.34.
    He doesn't even turn 21 until December. But am I the only one who feels that you need to keep challenging guys like this. Move him to AA before June 1.

THURSDAY MINORS RESULTS

All Times Eastern

CLASS AAA

Indianapolis 3, Gwinnett 2

SP: Allard 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (2.25)
    Phillips 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    LP: Ravin (BS, 0-1) 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(2R), 0 BB, 1 K (own error led to BS)

Franco 2-4, R
    T. Smith 1-4, 2 RBI
    Bourjos 0-3, 2 BB
    Bautista DNP

CLASS AA

Pensacola 7, Mississippi 1

LP: Mader (1-1) 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
    Clouse 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
    Watts 0.2 IP zeroes
    Pike 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
    Webb 1 IP, 1 H. 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, HR

Riley 1-4, 2 K
    Neslony 1-3, RBI
    Jackson 1-3, 2B

ADVANCED CLASS A

Palm Beach 3, Florida 2

LP: Walker (0-3) 5 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
    Bacon 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K (0.36)
    Burrows 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Pache 2-4, R, BB
    Schwartz 1-4, 2B
    Michel 1-5, 2B

CLASS A

Rome 8, Lakewood 5

WP: Muller (3-0) 6.1 IP, 7 H,3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (2.10)
    Borkovich 0.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
    Tarnok 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

Conteras 2-4, 2 R, HR (2nd), 2 RBI
    Lugbauer 3-3, 2B, 2 R
    Delgado 2-5, R
    Mejia 2-3, R, 2 RBI
    Last edited by rico43; 05-03-2018 at 10:33 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (05-03-2018), Jaw (05-03-2018), JohnAdcox (05-03-2018), jpx7 (05-03-2018), Super (05-03-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I think Wilson needs to be challenged more. Should find out if he's a legit starter or not. I'd like to know how many guys have been as dominant as he's been without the ability to start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Ready to see what allard does tonight. Julio had back issues last start, McCarthy isn't exactly durable, allard's room mate just got promoted, gohara is really struggling... allard could see an mlb start soon if he takes care of business.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think Wilson needs to be challenged more. Should find out if he's a legit starter or not. I'd like to know how many guys have been as dominant as he's been without the ability to start.
    I'm good with him being in AA for the rest of the season.

Then next year you let him go at AAA for half the year and if all goes well you might have some options to trade.

I just have no clue what the Braves are going to do with all this pitching. People say a trade is going to happen but for what position? What is really needed? Braves have money so LF is going to be covered. Take that off the list right now as needs moving forward. We have Camargo/Riley to potentially fill third base for the next 5 years. DO you really want to use assets on a catcher? I'd rather just keep cycling in vet guys who frame well and pair them with a young guy like Jackson.

I just don't see a need at all. Its going to be reali interesting where the pitching debt ends up by mid to late 2019. You could legitimately have the following guys all needing a roation spot:

Newk
    Folty
    Soroka
    Allard
    Gohara
    Wright
    Fried
    Wilson
    Touki
    Biddle (long shot)
    Anderson (for 2020)

Then you guys coming up the rear like Wentz/Muller/Tarnok/Zimmerman

Its insane what this team has put together.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'd like to see how Wilson deals with failure in High A before being promoted, but at this rate, that might not happen for a while.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    I never new Wilson scouting report was so similar to Soroka. 94 power sinker. Ok change. Feel and Control of slider that can be a slurve. He attacks zone and considered a ‘bulldog’. Could we potentially have soroka 2.0 before soroka 1.0 hits arb 1?
    Coppy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-03-2018), jpx7 (05-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Then next year you let him go at AAA for half the year and if all goes well you might have some options to trade.

I just have no clue what the Braves are going to do with all this pitching. People say a trade is going to happen but for what position? What is really needed? Braves have money so LF is going to be covered. Take that off the list right now as needs moving forward. We have Camargo/Riley to potentially fill third base for the next 5 years. DO you really want to use assets on a catcher? I'd rather just keep cycling in vet guys who frame well and pair them with a young guy like Jackson.

I just don't see a need at all. Its going to be reali interesting where the pitching debt ends up by mid to late 2019. You could legitimately have the following guys all needing a roation spot:

Newk
    Folty
    Soroka
    Allard
    Gohara
    Wright
    Fried
    Wilson
    Touki
    Biddle (long shot)
    Anderson (for 2020)

Hate to say it, but may need to use the glut of talent at the top of the minors to trade and replenish the talent in the lower minors. Basically, pushing the talent back by a few years.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I never new Wilson scouting report was so similar to Soroka. 94 power sinker. Ok change. Feel and Control of slider that can be a slurve. He attacks zone and considered a ‘bulldog’. Could we potentially have soroka 2.0 before soroka 1.0 hits arb 1?
    Command of your pitches is the most important attribute to have. Of course this requires a minimum baseline of velocity and stuff. That is why Soroka is so elite.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Hate to say it, but may need to use the glut of talent at the top of the minors to trade and replenish the talent in the lower minors. Basically, pushing the talent back by a few years.
    I couldn't agree more.

Ideally what you could do is hope that someone like Folty breaks out and you trade him for a pleathora of young players. Or you think Gohara is risky because of health and you trade him the first year he does well.

Exciting times ahead.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Newk
    Folty
    Soroka
    Allard
    Gohara
    Wright
    Fried
    Wilson
    Touki
    Biddle (long shot)
    Anderson (for 2020)

I would just keep the pitching. Like you said, we'll have $$ for LF. We may or may not need a 3B, tho. and eventually a catcher, tho maybe not next year. So yeah, i think we're in a good spot. no pressing need to make any particular kind of move. pitchers seem to just keep emerging. feels nice to actually have pitching in the system.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    57.7% ground ball rate this year.

edit: this is before last night's sterling start

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-03-2018), jpx7 (05-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Newk
    Folty
    Soroka
    Allard
    Gohara
    Wright
    Fried
    Wilson
    Touki
    Biddle (long shot)
    Anderson (for 2020)

Weigel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I would just keep the pitching. Like you said, we'll have $$ for LF. We may or may not need a 3B, tho. and eventually a catcher, tho maybe not next year. So yeah, i think we're in a good spot. no pressing need to make any particular kind of move. pitchers seem to just keep emerging. feels nice to actually have pitching in the system.
    I think they can delay it till late 2019 but you're still looking at guys that NEED to be at the major leagues.

Newk/Folty/Soroka/Allard/Gohara/Wright/Fried IMO need to be starters by quite frankly the end of 2018 but you can push that till 2019. Thats seven guys. SEVEN. Its not a good use of assets to keep that many potential MOR and better guys in your bullpen.

My guess is that Folty/Gohara are going to be traded for a haul of prospects to replenish. Just hope we get those trades right.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Weigel
    Excellent point. He should have been the first on the list if not for injury. Still want to see him come back and pitch effectively and maintain his high 90's velocity into the late innings like he was doing in 2016.
    Natural Immunity Croc

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Newk
    Folty
    Soroka
    Allard
    Gohara
    Wright
    Fried
    Wilson
    Touki
    Biddle (long shot)
    Anderson (for 2020)

I think all of the mouth pieces have been clear we are going to make a giant trade this off season. DOB, McCauley, Bowman, etc. We are likely going to use it to get Archer/Stroman/etc....I hate it but it likely happens. Maybe there is another Ozuna or Yelich next year. Yelich would have been great, he was just a year too early.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think all of the mouth pieces have been clear we are going to make a giant trade this off season. DOB, McCauley, Bowman, etc. We are likely going to use it to get Archer/Stroman/etc....I hate it but it likely happens. Maybe there is another Ozuna or Yelich next year. Yelich would have been great, he was just a year too early.
    maybe Haniger will be our Yelich. Seattle has to blow up their squad soon, and Haniger isn't 23.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    It has to be a trade for either an elite player or farther away prospects. All the positions look solid, but which ones could we upgrade on? A better CF? Is there a big bat in LF under contract for a couple more years that is better than the second tier free agents coming up? Is there a stud 3B on a non competitive team where Riley + pitching would make sense? Could we turn Dansby + pitching into Tron to upgrade defense behind the young pitching along with the offense?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Muller throwing well, Contreras opposite field homer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    McMahon available from Col?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post