Dyals 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
    Watson 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

Lugbauer 2-4, 2B, R
    Ramos 1-4, HR (12th), RBI
    Jenista 1-4, RBI

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Tigers 9, GCL Braves 5
    BLOWN SAVE, 5-run Tigers 9th

SP: Whitley 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K (rehab)
    Sanchez 5 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
    Lopez 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    LP: Aquino (1-2) 0.2 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
    Camacho 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Zamora 1-4, HR (2nd), RBI
    Harris 1-1, 2B, R, 4 BB
    De Hoyos 1-4, RBI, BB

-------------------

Burlington 2, Danville 1

LP: Lawson (0-2) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
    Higginbotham 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, BB, 5 K
    McReaken 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
    Wilson 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Soria 1-3, RBI (ONLY HIT, 8th inning)

--------------

DSL Braves 5, DSL Rays 0

WP: Asencio (5-4) 5 H, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
    Bautista 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K
    Caminero (Save, 5) 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

A.Bautista 2-4
    K.Pena 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI
    Stevens 1-4, 2B, R
    Last edited by rico43; 08-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-08-2018), Jaw (08-08-2018), jpx7 (08-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Gohora dealing with shoulder soreness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Just shut him down and start an offseason training program.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-08-2018), Jaw (08-08-2018), jpx7 (08-08-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    So if Gohara is dealing with shoulder soreness, that explains a few things. If you want to stay with a 6 man, just call Touki up for next week instead of having Allard make Fried's next start and have him and Fried share those starts.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    About allard... what were the back issues with him? Did he have surgery? If not, could surgery potentially help him get back lost velocity?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    About allard... what were the back issues with him? Did he have surgery? If not, could surgery potentially help him get back lost velocity?
    Yes.

It was before surgery that he was a 93-94 guy.

Story remains simple, if possible, try to not bring him back, send him to Driveline over the offseason.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    The staff has dealt with a lot of shoulder issues this season. Mostly guys who spent time in the bigs. Could chuckie have them doing things that is not good for pitchers to do. Not a pitching expert but seems more guys are having shoulder issues than normal.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The staff has dealt with a lot of shoulder issues this season. Mostly guys who spent time in the bigs. Could chuckie have them doing things that is not good for pitchers to do. Not a pitching expert but seems more guys are having shoulder issues than normal.
    I'm thinking most of these aren't legit. Soroka's is, Vizcaino's is, and Carle's might be, but he might be getting DL'ed because he's fatigued based on reports.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I like Gohora also, but I’m afraid he’ll be on the chopping block. It’s sad because when he’s right....man.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think we now see why a couple trades didn't go down. Whatever move that hinged on Gohara being healthy was scuttled by him not being healthy.

This was always part of Gohara's extra risky profile.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-07-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think we now see why a couple trades didn't go down. Whatever move that hinged on Gohara being healthy was scuttled by him not being healthy.

This was always part of Gohara's extra risky profile.
    I’m still on the fence with Gohora. He is probably a hit or miss guy. His upside is big enough...might be worth waiting it out for better or worse.

I think AA will move him without hesitation in the right deal sadly.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    the reality of Allard's velo is that he NEVER really pitched at 95+ ...

this is all detailed in a BA prospect podcasts, sorry - I forget exactly which one (late 2017, maybe?)...

but the gist of all the misinformation is this:

- he was a great HS pitching prospect, with or without the high-end velo'
    - there was a Perfect Game showcase prior to his Senior year, and in that showcase he absolutely dominated and touched 97mph with his fastball. Scouts began to drool on that showing, and they all remembered it when projecting him into his pro career. That's why he was in discussion for 1-1 prior to the injury. The injury happened prior to the draft, and the Braves knew he needed surgery before they drafted him. The surgery was minor, and is basically a non-factor at this point
    - the only day he ever was mid90s with his fastball was that one PG showcase, never has been more than low90s since. Again it was one game and he was pitching in a short stint. He never pitched mid90s in a normal start

Now... as for your Q about the back injury - he had surgery, and rehabbed...it's no longer an issue for him

Allard may or may not be a good MLB pitcher in time, but the velo will never be what some people want it to be. If you are in the camp that thinks a modern-era MLB starter can't survive with 90-91, then it's time to give up hope for Allard.

I myself am in more of the movement/location camp, and I think he'll be fine if he can command. Obviously, he's not hitting his spots right now.

But it definitely isn't an easy thing to prepare as a starting pitcher and then suddenly be counted on in your 2nd MLB appearance as an emergency reliever in the 3rd inning. Despite what some posters believe, this is a human being we are talking about, and pitchers rely on routine to prepare themselves physically and mentally for games... our current regime doesn't seem to respect that fact at all and IMO they are WAY too comfy bouncing these guys around from role to role.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    if you read Leo Mazzone's book, and believe in his philosphy (inherited from Johnny Sain), then these guys don't throw nearly enough on the side at 75-80% effort to build up arm sutainable, useful arm strength.

Also, I'm of the opinion that bouncing guys between AAA and the show, just to get crafty with the 10-day DL rules and try to provide "more rest" is doing way more harm than good...

Back in the 90's, our pitchers were amazingly healthy. We never seemed to see seasons where the rotation included 10-12 guys at various times in the year. Yes, there is a whole lot of "yeah, but there were 3 HOFers on that staff every year" caveat baked into that observation, but a lot of our 4s and 5s were consistently healthy in those years as well (Neagle, Millwood, Marquis, etc) ...

They were on a consistent routine, a routine that hardly every deviated from 5 days. If an off day came up naturally in the schedule that affected this cadence, then usually the decision was made to skip the 5th starter and keep everyone on normal rest (to keep pitchers 1-4 in a consitent pattern).

IMO, our current regime is totally winging it, based on what I can see. Maybe they have some next-level data and a bigger plan in place, but it sure seems like they are completely winging it in regards to the pitching plans, sometimes on a day-to-day basis.

I feel like this is affecting our starter's ability to prepare and stay on consistent schedules that are conducive to maximing ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Think Gohara had some shoulder issues before he came here.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    The Soroka shoulder injury is by far the most troublesome for me... no way a guy that big & that strong, with those clean mechanics, should be experiencing a career-threatening injury at that age. This injury and the days on the DL are a glaring stat for me, one that points to a management philosophy that is severely flawed

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
    The Soroka shoulder injury is by far the most troublesome for me... no way a guy that big & that strong, with those clean mechanics, should be experiencing a career-threatening injury at that age. This injury and the days on the DL are a glaring stat for me, one that points to a management philosophy that is severely flawed

What the criticism you have of how he was handled?

I can give you a possible theory. Soroka threw 93-94 for most of his time through the minors. This year he started hitting 96-97 on fairly consistent basis and he ended up on the DL within a relatively short time frame

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I can give you a possible theory. Soroka threw 93-94 for most of his time through the minors. This year he started hitting 96-97 on fairly consistent basis and he ended up on the DL within a relatively short time frame
    I'm saying I miss the days when Leo had all the starters in the entire org throwing way more often in side bullpen sessions than the guys do now, as I feel like the arm strength to sustain a long season is just not there anymore. And I also miss the days when each member of the rotation knew exactly when their next day to pitch would be. Braves are improvising the schedule on a week to week basis, and often any little change affects the entire group, not just one guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

I don't remember ever seeing Soroka hitting 96-97

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing Soroka hitting 96-97
    I did a twitter search to be sure that I wasn't having a senior moment and there are reports of 97 in spring training and minors.

Pretty sure he was hitting 96 in the majors. Maybe not 97.

Either way, he started throwing harder than he had been.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I did a twitter search to be sure that I wasn't having a senior moment and there are reports of 97 in spring training and minors.

Pretty sure he was hitting 96 in the majors. Maybe not 97.

Either way, he started throwing harder than he had been.
    If the same gun is not being used in every single one of those reports you are referencing, then those numbers are unreliable for comparisons. Minor league velo reports are incosistent, at best, and generally shouldn't be trusted to compare from source to source. If it's the same source every single time, then that's one thing...but sounds like a pretty uncontrolled study to me... Regardless, your basic premise that he might've been overthrowing is as good of a theory as I've heard yet. The extra adrenaline alone might've been enough to bump his arm speed a couple mph.