Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TUESDAY MINORS FINAL 8/7/18: Whitley (remember him?) makes rehab start

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
    If the same gun is not being used in every single one of those reports you are referencing, then those numbers are unreliable for comparisons. Minor league velo reports are incosistent, at best, and generally shouldn't be trusted to compare from source to source. If it's the same source every single time, then that's one thing...but sounds like a pretty uncontrolled study to me... Regardless, your basic premise that he might've been overthrowing is as good of a theory as I've heard yet. The extra adrenaline alone might've been enough to bump his arm speed a couple mph.
    Well hell, all I can tell you is the reports on his velocity were in one band for the first few years of his career and then this year the reports were that he was throwing harder.

I don't have access to reliable minor league data on pitch velocities beyond what is reported on twitter, so I would agree that you shouldn't present my observations in a scientific paper or call me as an expert on the matter at trial.

My best guess though is he was throwing a little bit harder this year.

I have no idea what his throwing regiment was before or after he got to Atlanta so I'll totally bow out on that one. Could be.

I think shoulder injuries are probably pretty random though rather than some systematic defect in a team's approach. Also just a guess.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I ran across Whitley's ESPN player card yesterday. Glad to see him on the comeback trail.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The Soroka shoulder injury is by far the most troublesome for me... no way a guy that big & that strong, with those clean mechanics, should be experiencing a career-threatening injury at that age. This injury and the days on the DL are a glaring stat for me, one that points to a management philosophy that is severely flawed
    Career threatening?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    Career threatening?
    well, yeah... Braves FO and beat reporters aren't gonna come out and paint it that way, but... just by nature of the beast, I'd say any shoulder injury that requires a 60day DL stint should be considered career threatening.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Nothing is out yet and is unlikely to be out for at least another two months I bet, but I saw someone hint that there suspiciously seems to be more to it with Soroka and the Braves are hiding something there for now.

Said there are odd comments coming out on him, and it doesn't seem like it's Mike's words.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Ian Anderson to Mississippi. First start scheduled for Sunday.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-08-2018), rico43 (08-08-2018), Super (08-08-2018), UNCBlue012 (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    well, yeah... Braves FO and beat reporters aren't gonna come out and paint it that way, but... just by nature of the beast, I'd say any shoulder injury that requires a 60day DL stint should be considered career threatening.
    you can believe their initial statement or not. It sounded like a downplay to me.

But they were clear that they were shutting him down for extended period because his shoulder pain had recurred and that the combination of the layoff and getting back to starting stamina would require at least 60 days.

I haven’t seen any recent statements. What’s new?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Yes.

It was before surgery that he was a 93-94 guy.

Story remains simple, if possible, try to not bring him back, send him to Driveline over the offseason.
    It sucks because he'd be so freaking good if his stuff was still 93-94. Hell, 92-93 would be solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The staff has dealt with a lot of shoulder issues this season. Mostly guys who spent time in the bigs. Could chuckie have them doing things that is not good for pitchers to do. Not a pitching expert but seems more guys are having shoulder issues than normal.
    I just think we need to shut guys down and start fresh next year. No reason to push. i know we're in the thick of things, but we're ahead of schedule and there's no need to screw 5-6 years of possible success for one.