Page 53 of 154 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 3063

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Off topic here, but where are you on free trade vs. tariff protection? That was something that kept me a Democrat back in the Blue Dog days, but they've moved away from me there as well.
    free trader
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Depressing that Kavanaugh is going to get a lifetime appointment to the supreme court when he couldn't even bother to testify truthfully.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    Depressing that Kavanaugh is going to get a lifetime appointment to the supreme court when he couldn't even bother to testify truthfully.
    selectively deciding when perjury matters is, in fact, depressing.
    he's also hyper-partisan. obviously we know where each justice generally stands. kavanaugh literally declared retribution to democrats (and the clintons...?) because a woman came forward with assault allegations against him.

i at least respect gorsuch as a person.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    statements made under oath have been considered to be corroboration until now. it's blatantly clear kavanaugh lied repeatedly throughout this process. i have no idea why that doesn't matter to more people. he's obviously lying about certain things for a reason.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    also, simply saying "it was so long ago" doesn't mean much. the investigation was anything but that. not interviewing Ford at all would be bizarre for an investigation. stating it will last a week is not an investigation. it was designed to be a sham from the start, and that fact wasn't even hidden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    also, simply saying "it was so long ago" doesn't mean much. the investigation was anything but that. not interviewing Ford at all would be bizarre for an investigation. stating it will last a week is not an investigation. it was designed to be a sham from the start, and that fact wasn't even hidden.
    The White House didn't want the FBI to interview Ford because that would have required an interview of Kavanaugh. I think that's what they really wanted to avoid. A professional interrogation of Kavanaugh over the Ford and Rivera allegations.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The White House didn't want the FBI to interview Ford because that would have required an interview of Kavanaugh. I think that's what they really wanted to avoid. A professional interrogation of Kavanaugh over the Ford and Rivera allegations.
    i knew this from the beginning, but the senators who wanted to just vote yes but needed the political cover of an "investigation" negotiated for this sham. i did think it would be a little more thorough and tactful, tho. didn't expect an in-your-face sham.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Recognizing that none of us can be certain of these accounts, weighing the evidence available to me I would say that there is an over 90% chance that Kavanaugh did something along the lines of what Ford and Ramirez have described. And also an over 90% chance he has perjured himself in his denials. And something like a 99% probability he has perjured himself on smaller incidental matters such as calling Devil's Triangle a drinking game.

Let's call a spade a spade. He was a boorish drunk whose behavior very likely crossed over a line that disqualifies him from a seat on the Supreme Court.
    That’s pretty much my take. I think that both Ford’s and Ramirez’s accusations are quite likely true, but the truth here is ultimately a casualty to a shell game about evidentiary standards, etc. I also think that Kav’s lies about drinking were material, as they went directly at establishing both his general credibility and the possibility that such incidents could have occurred. I agree that they were probably—quite intentionally—crafted in a way to keep him clear of a perjury charge.

I think that she offered credible testimony and he did not, but here we are. I agree with striker that this is obviously a political issue, and one in which none of the electeds on either side have particularly distinguished themselves.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    free trader
    As far as policy goes, this is probably my single biggest gripe against Trump. His anti-free trade policies are absurd. Ironically his position on trade is probably what ended up winning him Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don't think the advent of Trump has pushed me leftward on any issues. I am still pro life. Hawkish on national security/foreign policy issues. I favor some redistribution via the tax code and various assistance programs, but designed in a way to minimize distortions to economic incentives. I want our immigration laws enforced, but generally see immigration as a plus for the country.
    Geez. You and I would get along politically. Only difference apparent to me here is the fact that I'm a bit of a pacifist. Its not a huge point for me, but I like to avoid military intervention whenever possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Geez. You and I would get along politically. Only difference apparent to me here is the fact that I'm a bit of a pacifist. Its not a huge point for me, but I like to avoid military intervention whenever possible.
    i favor intervention and destabilization of countries with good cuisines...adds to the quality of food over here...gastronomically derived foreign policy is the technical term...we could also base our immigration policy on a similar principle

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    God no. They’ll say the reports are biased, incomplete, rigged from the start etc. or they’ll change thier narrative and talk about other things the judge has said or did to unqualify him
    I know you don't care, but I hope you are aware the FBI has been extremely limited in this investigation and it's not "free reign" as your boy Don has said it was.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    i favor intervention and destabilization of countries with good cuisines...adds to the quality of food over here...gastronomically derived foreign policy is the technical term...we could also base our immigration policy on a similar principle
    Speak softly and carry a big fork.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (10-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Speak softly and carry a big fork.
    couldn't have put it any better

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    statements made under oath have been considered to be corroboration until now. it's blatantly clear kavanaugh lied repeatedly throughout this process. i have no idea why that doesn't matter to more people. he's obviously lying about certain things for a reason.
    What surprises me is people don't realize that lying is pretty much part of the SCOTUS confirmation process these days. Senators from the party adverse to the candidate try to ask gotcha questions or questions to make the candidate look bad and the candidate answers evasively.

The real root of the problem here probably isn't that Kavanaugh lied, it's that he didn't do a good job lying. He should have been more artful in his evasion. Honestly, the lack of being able to cleverly maneuver out of the way of the questions is a bigger red flag to me than his lying. I expect a SCOTUS justice to be more facile in his ability to flip questions on their head.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think there is a good chance Trump does that, but I would expect Congressional Republicans to quickly impeach him if that happens. They have to prefer the idea of working with President Pence, and removing Trump would remove the most motivating factor for Democratic voter enthusiasm. I'm somewhat surprised they haven't already done it, but maybe they think Trump voters can get them through the midterms.
    Trump will never be convicted of impeachment because it takes a two-thirds vote in the Senate and that would be an absolute longshot. I'm more referring to an instance where Trump does something egregiously against the Republican base (which could happen if the Democrats take the Senate and Trump decides to be Trump), which would open him up to a challenge at the convention in 2020 (think Teddy Kennedy taking on Carter). Pence would likely be politically neutered in such a situation because he would be tied to Trump as his running mate. That is just spitballing. I think a more likely scenario is that Trump would decide not to run again, but that is difficult for me to imagine as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Pelosi is on record opposing impeachment of either DJT or BK should (D) win the House

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    an overlooked scenario ---- John McCain still in Senate - how would he have voted
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    What surprises me is people don't realize that lying is pretty much part of the SCOTUS confirmation process these days. Senators from the party adverse to the candidate try to ask gotcha questions or questions to make the candidate look bad and the candidate answers evasively.

The real root of the problem here probably isn't that Kavanaugh lied, it's that he didn't do a good job lying. He should have been more artful in his evasion. Honestly, the lack of being able to cleverly maneuver out of the way of the questions is a bigger red flag to me than his lying. I expect a SCOTUS justice to be more facile in his ability to flip questions on their head.
    Let me get this straight. Our law student says that potential Supreme Court justices lying under oath is no big deal. So what's the argument that anyone should ever tell the truth under oath?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

CK86 (10-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    he's outright lied about Devils Triangle, Ralph's Club and FFFFF
    New evidence came out today that backs up Kavanaugh's statements about Devil's triangle and the FFFFF thing.
    thank you weso1!