Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    wow so the deal Heyward posted was the best by far.
    It was a pretty low bar, but yeah probably lol

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    JP Morosi reporting the Blue Jays and Padres are in serious discussion in a trade involving Marcus Stroman
    Not exactly what he said.

“The Padres and Blue Jays are engaged in ongoing discussions about a trade that would send Marcus Stroman to San Diego, sources told MLB.com, although there was no tangible progress toward a deal as of Saturday night.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Would the Cards be a team to talk to? They would likely LOVE to unload Dexter Fowler and he’d likely welcome a move. Obviously we’d need JTR in this scenario, but he seems too talented to drop off a cliff like that. Guy apparently battled depression all last year.

It would have to be at a STEEP discount.
    Ivermectin Man

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Why don't the Braves just try to resign Markakis? Looking at his stats he was good until August. That's when they started playing all the makeup games and loosing off days. If they resign him and make sure he doesn't play more than 25 games a month and gets at least 5 off days a month I think he would have a good season for a full year. If you look at his first 2/3 of the season he was probably as good as anyone else on the market now. They just need to make sure he gets a day or 2 off every week and I think he would play fine all year. They already know how he is in the clubhouse, so unless there is something we didn't see he seems to be a good fit already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Why don't the Braves just try to resign Markakis? Looking at his stats he was good until August. That's when they started playing all the makeup games and loosing off days. If they resign him and make sure he doesn't play more than 25 games a month and gets at least 5 off days a month I think he would have a good season for a full year. If you look at his first 2/3 of the season he was probably as good as anyone else on the market now. They just need to make sure he gets a day or 2 off every week and I think he would play fine all year. They already know how he is in the clubhouse, so unless there is something we didn't see he seems to be a good fit already.
    the club is probably ok with bringing him back on a one year deal and he's probably trying to get a two year deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If Markakis is our full time LFer next year without getting a huge rotation upgrade and JTR... this off season is a failure... his first half was unsustainable as evidenced by his second half which was one of the worst half of any regular in baseball. I'm thinking the more likely answer is that he's getting old, his peripherals rebounded to career norms and is likely in steep decline. Why sign medocrity/bad if you're brewing a trade for a much better option who will likely be cheaper? I'd say its likely that AA is working on something like that behind the scenes.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I have bit my tounge on this all year.
    I can’t stand anymore.
    Here goes: we won last year - pure luck. Our division was ****.
    We are two 2(two) years away.
    We are not going going to trade pieces that may be gold for temporary silver right now.
    We are not that dumb.
    Our fans are...
    We have a big run ahead of us in 2020... let’s not get ahead of ourselves fellas ...
    merry Christmas 🎄

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I have bit my tounge on this all year.
    I can’t stand anymore.
    Here goes: we won last year - pure luck. Our division was ****.
    We are two 2(two) years away.
    We are not going going to trade pieces that may be gold for temporary silver right now.
    We are not that dumb.
    Our fans are...
    We have a big run ahead of us in 2020... let’s not get ahead of ourselves fellas ...
    merry Christmas ��
    Trading prospects that we are running out of room for for JTR and/or Haniger is not temporary silver... adding a healthy Josh Donaldson and one or both of those makes us a very good team. Our window is open.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

TheRunningAgent (12-23-2018), UNCBlue012 (12-24-2018)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If Markakis is our full time LFer next year without getting a huge rotation upgrade and JTR... this off season is a failure... his first half was unsustainable as evidenced by his second half which was one of the worst half of any regular in baseball. I'm thinking the more likely answer is that he's getting old, his peripherals rebounded to career norms and is likely in steep decline. Why sign medocrity/bad if you're brewing a trade for a much better option who will likely be cheaper? I'd say its likely that AA is working on something like that behind the scenes.
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.
    So you think a 36 year old having a career year with peripherals not in line with the rest of his career is probably the more likely answer than a 36 year old declining other than an anomalous first half? A first half that showed unsustainable peripherals that he never showed in his career before? Again, the second half saw those peripherals move back towards career norms, and the production was some of the worst in the majors. You can hope Markakis is some big time guy all you want, but the facts just don't support it at his age. I mean... his career year he can't even eclipse 3 WAR.

Edit... well 35 year old last year... 36 now... you get the point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    He's 35. This past season was the best season he's had since 2011. His numbers through July were supported by a very high BABIP, which is something not likely to repeat in 2019. There really isn't anything to suggest he's likely to repeat his 2018 performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I mean come on dude... first half he had a BABIP of .344... for a guy as slow as molasses, good luck trying to convince anyone that wasn't a half completely carried by luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He's 35. This past season was the best season he's had since 2011. His numbers through July were supported by a very high BABIP, which is something not likely to repeat in 2019. There really isn't anything to suggest he's likely to repeat his 2018 performance.
    At least the first half... everything suggests he is likely to perform closer to his second half 2018 performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Even if you think he can somehow magically sustain his 2018 1st half as a 36 year old... there are still more productive options who are much cheaper who should be available via trade. If Markakis is our LFer this coming year and we haven't made any other significant offensive upgrades, the off season is a colossal failure. I get Nick is a great guy, I get he has grit, I get he's a leader... I don't care... we have McCann and Freddy.... I think we will be okay on the veteran grit department. I want actual production.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Signing Markakis would be about as bad as signing Frazier last off season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Neck had a 10.4% HR/FB rate first half... including his younger years with much more power, his career rate is 8.1%... going back to 2013, here are his HR/FB rates:

2.1 (First year with Braves)
    8.4 (Think last year was inflated a bit due to that anomalous 10.4 half?)

Everything about the splits and the numbers suggest his whole first half was extremely lucky... especially when the second half lines up directly with his usual career trends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Signing Markakis would be about as bad as signing Frazier last off season.
    Frazier wasn't who I was hoping for last year... but I'd say we did luck out quite a bit that Camargo turned into something we never thought he'd be

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well I think it was a little more than half a year, more like 2/3 of a year and his decline was directly in time with the increased games per month. I'm not going to say he's going to be a great player but I do think he had a great year for him that was side tracked by a tough schedule. I think if he would have had a normal work load, he would have carried the first half through the season. I don't know if he could have another year like this one but I think he earned the chance to see, and more importantly I don't really like anyone I've seen any more than him that seems to be on the market that's a realistic option. What we are choosing between is Markakis who seems to be durable, a bunch of high injury risks and people who are no better than Markakis or maybe worse. I'm just saying, we know what we get with him, and maybe we could get another year like last year or maybe we get his career averages. Either way I don't think we are any worse off than with any of the other people we have as a choose.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves are too smart to expect Markakis to produce more than 1 win next year. Nobody other than this new poster and Markakis himself expect it.

He represents a good fallback plan if they acquire JTR and have little resources to acquire another cOF, and nothing more. I suspect they prefer CarGo to Markakis though.

There are better options available, but those options are drying up fast.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Well I think it was a little more than half a year, more like 2/3 of a year and his decline was directly in time with the increased games per month. I'm not going to say he's going to be a great player but I do think he had a great year for him that was side tracked by a tough schedule. I think if he would have had a normal work load, he would have carried the first half through the season. I don't know if he could have another year like this one but I think he earned the chance to see, and more importantly I don't really like anyone I've seen any more than him that seems to be on the market that's a realistic option. What we are choosing between is Markakis who seems to be durable, a bunch of high injury risks and people who are no better than Markakis or maybe worse. I'm just saying, we know what we get with him, and maybe we could get another year like last year or maybe we get his career averages. Either way I don't think we are any worse off than with any of the other people we have as a choose.
    You can think and assume all you want. The actual numbers and facts say otherwise. And all the stats I used were directly first and second half... so no, it was not 2/3 of a year at all.