Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2853

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Boweden just doesn't know how current FO's operate. He would of given up half the farm for Archer and have the team be irrelevant in 5 years.

There is no price for Archer that would have rendered the Braves "irrelevant" in five years.

I'm as guilty of overrating our prospects as anyone and I wouldn't have traded Wright, Anderson, Riley, and Pache for Archer, but the Braves damn sure could have weathered that deal without insuring their irrelevancy in five years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Did a quick glance a the hitting league leaders, and tried to find who an "impact" bat would be from a losing team that hits left handed.

Choo (could be traded), Eddie Rosario (highly unlikely to be traded), Brandon Belt (don't see him being traded).

That's all I've got who has an OPS over 800. Don't see where we even have room to plug someone in anyway.
    He may have just meant Moustakas.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Don't think they're done, based on something AA said on last night's broadcast.

More or less quoting him: "We were in discussions about a left-handed bat, an impact bat, that didn't happen but there still could be something there."

Guessing that's not Harper (duh) but he did not use the word "impact" by accident. But since there were no clues about either deal we made, I cannot ventuire a guess who this is/was.
    Smells like Donaldson to me. Waiting to see on health maybe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Did a quick glance a the hitting league leaders, and tried to find who an "impact" bat would be from a losing team that hits left handed.

Choo (could be traded), Eddie Rosario (highly unlikely to be traded), Brandon Belt (don't see him being traded).

That's all I've got who has an OPS over 800. Don't see where we even have room to plug someone in anyway.
    I think the hour for the Giants to sell is now or this winter and they've arguably waited too long. I still believe in Bumgarner but there are signs of decline. Now would be a good time for Posey, Crawford, Belt, Melancon, Longoria to be moved before they look less fairly paid.

They are a big market team, so they can probably retool and rebuild in a fairly short time. They can do it a few pieces at a time if they want.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Shawn Kelley DFA’d. Man, I hope we get him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There is no price for Archer that would have rendered the Braves "irrelevant" in five years.

I'm as guilty of overrating our prospects as anyone and I wouldn't have traded Wright, Anderson, Riley, and Pache for Archer, but the Braves damn sure could have weathered that deal without insuring their irrelevancy in five years.
    Sure if it's just one deal. But someone like Bowden would continue to make deals and gut the farm. That's the kind of GM he is. Times have changed from his days as GM and his views reflect the old school thinking. There is a reason he is an analyst right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Sure if it's just one deal. But someone like Bowden would continue to make deals and gut the farm. That's the kind of GM he is. Times have changed from his days as GM and his views reflect the old school thinking. There is a reason he is an analyst right now.
    I don't think you can insure relevancy five years from now by hoarding prospects.

Individual moves are not the things that consign a franchise to hell. It's a long series of moves and bad decisions that commit all your resources without giving you any opportunity to recover from mistakes and bad luck that does that.

Even so, it is pretty much certain that you are going to have to rebuild periodically. Losing every now in then isn't the worst thing in the world. Being a perennial 87 win team might be.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Shawn Kelley DFA’d. Man, I hope we get him.
    Can't hurt to bring him in and see if he can be "tweaked" to get something out of him as well.

Would be great to get him back to his dominant stretches and have him be part of sticking the dagger in the Gnats.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts

Harper. He could play first with Freddie moving to third. Use Harper against righties instead of Camargo.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBrave14 View Post
    Smells like Donaldson to me. Waiting to see on health maybe.
    donaldson is a righty
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He may have just meant Moustakas.
    he was dealt already
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    Maybe we should change the name of this thread for the August Waiver Rosterbation
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Could also be a deal with a team that is in contention. Say with the Cubs for Happ.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    I don't think you can insure relevancy five years from now by hoarding prospects.

Individual moves are not the things that consign a franchise to hell. It's a long series of moves and bad decisions that commit all your resources without giving you any opportunity to recover from mistakes and bad luck that does that.

Even so, it is pretty much certain that you are going to have to rebuild periodically. Losing every now in then isn't the worst thing in the world. Being a perennial 87 win team might be.
    Which is what Bowden would do.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Which is what Bowden would do.
    Ok, but this began with the proposition that the Braves couldn't afford the future damage of trading for Archer.

My point is that the Archer deal wouldn't have really hurt the Braves future much.

My second point is that even a series of deals that significantly depleted the system would not necessarily mean that they could not steer out of it.

Bowden might be an idiot. And maybe he would behave completely idiotically. But the Braves wouldn't have to always behave idiotically to have made bigger moves. And he's not wrong that the Braves did not improve themselves a great deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Donaldson is a potential target still if/when he shows to be healthy. The Jays should be able to get him through waivers if they sneak him through before he plays enough games to prove it one way or another.

No idea who the "impact" bat might have been....very subjective term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he was dealt already
    Right. I'm saying he could have just meant that we were in talks to get an impact LH bat (Moustakas) and that we'll keep trying things (which could then mean anything, not limited to a LH bat).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    And he's not wrong that the Braves did not improve themselves a great deal.
    Which is likely the correct decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Donaldson is a potential target still if/when he shows to be healthy. The Jays should be able to get him through waivers if they sneak him through before he plays enough games to prove it one way or another.

No idea who the "impact" bat might have been....very subjective term.
    I hope they do it now so the Phillies can’t be allowed to block him from us in the near future.

Of course, they could just go ahead and claim him (assuming we and everyone else let’s him pass through), but I doubt they’re thinking about that right now.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Ok, but this began with the proposition that the Braves couldn't afford the future damage of trading for Archer.

My point is that the Archer deal wouldn't have really hurt the Braves future much.

My second point is that even a series of deals that significantly depleted the system would not necessarily mean that they could not steer out of it.

Bowden might be an idiot. And maybe he would behave completely idiotically. But the Braves wouldn't have to always behave idiotically to have made bigger moves. And he's not wrong that the Braves did not improve themselves a great deal.
    Actually it began with me suggesting Bowden would give up a lot of prospects for Archer. I do feel like he's the type of GM to do that. I also feel he would have the Braves irrelevant in 5 years after a short window by using up our said prospects.

And no he's not wrong that the Braves didn't add impact players. Most people don't feel that right now is the right time to do that. We are a year a head of schedule and playing really well. We added some nice pieces to help us down the stretch and the next couple of years. This off season is where we will make the big move.