Page 25 of 227 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    If Shaw leaves Stanford, it's for the NFL not another college job.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think Texas is the only college team he might leave for, and that's just simply based on the belief that they could offer him a huge contract that no other school could compete with.
    thank you weso1!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't know what you're arguing about. I know Texas pretty much has their choice. But the only coaches clearly better than Brown that might move is Saban or Miles. Fisher isn't leaving Florida St. even for Texas. Briles just signed an extension through 2020. He's going nowhere.
    Better than Mack Brown? Who hasn't done **** in years despite have more advantages than any other school?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

CK86 (12-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    The thing is the source of the rumors the past couple of days as far as Coach Saban goes are coming from sources you can't rely on. Chip Brown, who writes for Orange Bloods, a Texas site, even shot down one of the big rumors from last night. An Austin sportswriter was on Paul Finebaum's radio show today and said he doesn't see Nick Saban as the Longhorns coach. I do think soon, Mack Brown will step down. But as of this moment, I do not believe Nick Saban will be their head coach.

For one thing, he is 62 years old. He said several weeks ago that he too old to start elsewhere. Also, for the better part of the last couple of weeks, he's been busting his tail recruitng, seeing several prospects in different states. I highly doubt he'd be doing that if he was talking to Texas. As far as his past, I know everyone is bringing that up. Everyone knows about the whole "I'm not going to Alabama" in that infamous press conference. In the 60 Minutes profile done on him, he said he regretted how that happened (although I don't know what else he could have said). I think that still sticks in him and with all his comments in the past few weeks about him not looking to go anywhere else, I'll take his word. If he did go to Texas after saying all those things this year, then that will be a stain on him. I don't think he wants that. Also, Coach Saban wants control of things in the football program. From some reading the past couple of days, anyone who coaches Texas will have to deal with a bunch of people sticking their noses into the program. And there is also the Longhorn Network. Coach doesn't even like doing the TV and radio shows for Alabama all that much. Can't imagine him enjoying the additional time for LHN. Even Mack Brown has complained about that.

Am I 100% on him staying at Alabama? I don't think you can be 100% certain on anything. But, I am fairly confident in saying I think Nick Saban will be roaming the sidelines in Tuscaloosa come next season and at least two or three more years afterwards before he does make his next stop: Retirement

If I am Texas, I'm taking a good long look at Stanford's David Shaw.
    There will be some unhappy RICH boosters that have dealt him some good will and good deeds in the business\real estate world that will have an axe to grind if he leaves. I wouldn't have expected this rumor to even have gotten this far, but its telling that it has.

I think the biggest boosters Bama has, are getting nervous (2nd hand).
    Ivermectin Man

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    There's plenty of good coaches that have taken crap programs and turned them into decent programs.
    Shaws overrated. He inherited Harbaughs players and team. What has he built? You think he can go to a Tennessee or Kansas and turn them into winners in a year or two?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Better than Mack Brown? Who hasn't done **** in years despite have more advantages than any other school?

In the NCG against Bama what 4 yrs ago? And from 06-2010 nearly went to 3 of the 4 NCG's. (ended up .0128 pts behind OU in 2008-2009 bowl season).

Yet he "hasn't done **** in yrs"......

Sure he went through a lull after the 2009 team. No team stays on top forever. Joe Pa and Bowden had stretches of down yrs in the 40 yrs they were coaching too. After 2009 he had to replace 6 starters and a Heisman candidate QB. It didn't help that he's had to replace most of his staff the couple yrs as well as they have left for better/highwer paying jobs). Even still, he's won 6 straight bowl games and beat Oregon last yr. This yr he has a chance to win 9 games after starting out 1-2.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-12-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    In the NCG against Bama what 4 yrs ago? And from 06-2010 nearly went to 3 of the 4 NCG's. (ended up .0128 pts behind OU in 2008-2009 bowl season).

Sure he went through a lull after the 2009 team. No team stays on top forever. Joe Pa and Bowden had stretches of down yrs in the 40 yrs they were coaching too. After 2009 he had to replace 6 starters and a Heisman candidate QB. It didn't help that he's had to replace most of his staff the couple yrs as well as they have left for better/highwer paying jobs). Even still, he's won 6 straight bowl games and beat Oregon last yr. This yr he has a chance to win 9 games after starting out 1-2.

Texas should be similar to what you see from Alabama under Saban. That school has more advantages than any other school in the NCAA besides maybe Notre dame. They have their own freaking network. Do you see Bama complaining about losing players to the NFL? Or do they recruit every year and replace them? Texas should be in the running for the title every single year. Make Brown has been to 1 national championship game and has 2 conference titles since 1996.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Wow, going 9-4...wait a great season! Loses to BYU, Ole Miss, Baylor, and Ok State. Big wins over Oklahoma and ummm....uhhhhhh........well a win over Oklahoma!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am a HUGE, HUGE Longhorn fan and I would rather have Fredi Gonzales coaching the Horns football team. Brown has won 2 (that's right TWO) conference championships in 30 years of being a head coach. I appreciate what he's done for the program, but it's time for him to go. I'm sick of all the 40+ point beatdowns that we go through yearly and falling short a conference championship and watching our bitter rival play in BSC Bowls.

I think we have a great shot a Saban (call it a better than 50/50) but if we don't get him we will get an elite level coach. It's the top coaching job in the land and shortly will be the highest paying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Deans View Post
    I am a HUGE, HUGE Longhorn fan
    excuse me, but forum rule 190.4: gilesfan pronouncement, states you must provide your credentials before claiming to be a fan of anyone.
    You have one hour.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't play by the rules.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

I agree with you on all points, except he beat Oregon State last year, not the Ducks.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Congratulations to A.J. McCarron for winning The Maxwell Award tonight!
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Wow, going 9-4...wait a great season! Loses to BYU, Ole Miss, Baylor, and Ok State. Big wins over Oklahoma and ummm....uhhhhhh........well a win over Oklahoma!
    Whatever gf. Continue to miss the point as usual.

You say he hasn't done **** in yrs, even though I proved you wrong. I see you completely dodged the point about Joe Pah and Bowden going through low points as well.

What other elite level coaches are available out there right now with a better track record than Brown? You have a handful of coaches and most of which are not going anywhere. The best they can hope for is Miles or Saban. If they can't get either of those two, then what is the point in firing Brown and replacing him with a mid tier coach like Charlie Strong who you don't know will even be better than Brown? If you going to fire someone with as many wins and a NC ring on his resume, then you had better hit a home run on his replacement. And there simply aren't a lot of home run options available.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-13-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Saban staying at Bama, not shocking news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Saban staying at Bama, not shocking news.
    Would much rather he stay at Bama than seeing him at Texas. The more great teams the better and we know that Saban's going to have a great team from here until he retires. Texas will get a top notch coach anyway, they just won't have the best. The egos at UT take a hit, I'm good with that happening any day of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Not surprised, but still.................................

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Harbaugh should leave for Texas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    From NFL reporter for CBS Jason La Canfora's Twitter:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4h
    So, just to make sure this is clear: I hear Texas has interest in Sean Payton. Don't think he'd leave. But that's how high they're aiming

I have no reason to believe Coach Payton would ever leave the Saints, but strongly expect them to explore that option

Texas wants Super Bowl caliber coach if at all possible; some close to school have been very high on Coach Payton. His family is in Texas...

Much made of Texas Longhorns interest in Harbaugh and Tomlin - strongly doubt either leaves - but I'd add Sean Payton to that NFL wish list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Disappointed in not getting Saban, but way more disappointed in fact that Mack Brown could have a chance to coach this team in 2014. Sick to my stomach. Bunch of sissies in Austin who can't nut up and fire the problem.