Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Or it would make him the most perfect Jedi, and I think it would have set up future Luke a bit better. Mainly because it would show a Jedi being someone who doesn't need a lightsaber. It would have set up a number of arcs that Luke could have done in the sequels. But what happened was what you said, in order to be a "complete" jedi you needed to dual with a laser sword.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Or it would make him the most perfect Jedi, and I think it would have set up future Luke a bit better. Mainly because it would show a Jedi being someone who doesn't need a lightsaber. It would have set up a number of arcs that Luke could have done in the sequels. But what happened was what you said, in order to be a "complete" jedi you needed to dual with a laser sword.
    At his heart, Yoda was a traditionalist. He might have been a little more irreverent than one would expect, but he ultimately was a firm believer in the Jedi order. He was the establishment. So having him being an expert with the lightsaber just enlarges his aura as the greatest Jedi.

You can always have Luke make choices that run counter that and so win victories without a lightsaber. It would illustrate how Luke breaks the Jedi mold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    At his heart, Yoda was a traditionalist. He might have been a little more irreverent than one would expect, but he ultimately was a firm believer in the Jedi order. He was the establishment. So having him being an expert with the lightsaber just enlarges his aura as the greatest Jedi.

You can always have Luke make choices that run counter that and so win victories without a lightsaber. It would illustrate how Luke breaks the Jedi mold.
    I mean if you make him use a saber maybe he wields it with the force. I get the cool aspect of Yoda using the force to flip around and be a great fighter, I get the choice, I just disagree with it personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Sturg has proven he doesn't like Star Wars over and over again, mainly because he doesn't really know it. If you don't like the new trilogy you don't like ESB. As the films are very derivative of ESB and to a lesser point RotJ. Obviously with modern and more of scripted build as it's written by better film writers than Lucas.
    WTF
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-28-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    WTF
    Not that I'd expect film/star wars noobs to understand. But the new trilogy is written to be very much like the OT. The question being will Rise of Skywalker be like RotJ and bring back the change in tone and direction that was introduced by the middle film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm interested to see what they're going to do with the Obi Wan series. It's supposed to take place about the same time as Solo which would be when Obi Wan was in exile on Tatooine. Is it going to be based on Tatooine? Are they going to have Obi Wan leaving Tatooine, potentially exposing himself and leaving Luke unprotected?

I'm guessing they have Maul be the villain. That this is perhaps the reason they brought him into Solo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I'm interested to see what they're going to do with the Obi Wan series. It's supposed to take place about the same time as Solo which would be when Obi Wan was in exile on Tatooine. Is it going to be based on Tatooine? Are they going to have Obi Wan leaving Tatooine, potentially exposing himself and leaving Luke unprotected?

I'm guessing they have Maul be the villain. That this is perhaps the reason they brought him into Solo.
    No to the second part, that's already been shown on screen. I'm assuming it's gonna be Obi Wan getting involved with busting up crime or something like that. Perhaps we'll see the telling of his journals that they did in the comics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    No to the second part, that's already been shown on screen. I'm assuming it's gonna be Obi Wan getting involved with busting up crime or something like that. Perhaps we'll see the telling of his journals that they did in the comics.
    We've seen an old Obi Wan kill Maul on Rebels. They could still set this before that. Maul and Obi Wan are somewhat connected and it would feel like a miss to reintroduce him in Solo and not use him in a Kenobi series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    We've seen an old Obi Wan kill Maul on Rebels. They could still set this before that. Maul and Obi Wan are somewhat connected and it would feel like a miss to reintroduce him in Solo and not use him in a Kenobi series.
    I don't think that's likely. Why would Maul have to go through the whole arc in Rebels to find out Kenobi is alive if he saw him post Order 66? Doesn't make sense to me. Ad far as why was he in Solo. Probably to set up Maul related show later, but also to draw attention to him being alive for people who didn't watch Rebels or Clone Wars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I don't think that's likely. Why would Maul have to go through the whole arc in Rebels to find out Kenobi is alive if he saw him post Order 66? Doesn't make sense to me. Ad far as why was he in Solo. Probably to set up Maul related show later, but also to draw attention to him being alive for people who didn't watch Rebels or Clone Wars.
    Well, if we're going to be perfectly honest, between everything established in Clone Wars and Rebels, they shouldn't have brought Maul back in Solo. If using Maul in an Obi Wan series would make that series better, they'll find a way to fix continuity issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Well, if we're going to be perfectly honest, between everything established in Clone Wars and Rebels, they shouldn't have brought Maul back in Solo. If using Maul in an Obi Wan series would make that series better, they'll find a way to fix continuity issues.
    Maybe, but I don't think it's super likely. If they meet they'd have to meet offworld and Maul would have to think he's dead.

Maul could have easily been there as Solo took place, we didn't know what happened between post fall of Shadow Collective which is basically the same time as Order 66, which was 19 BBY and his return in Rebels which was 3 BBY. There's 16 years where he could have been doing anything. Given the prominence of Gangs in the Empire to the point the Empire almost legitimized their business. Would be interesting to see Kenobi detrone maul from Crimson Dawn, but again, he would have to think Kenobi was dead. The connecting the dots with Rebels indicated that Maul thought Kenobi died in Order 66 or afterwards in the Purge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Maybe, but I don't think it's super likely. If they meet they'd have to meet offworld and Maul would have to think he's dead.

Maul could have easily been there as Solo took place, we didn't know what happened between post fall of Shadow Collective which is basically the same time as Order 66, which was 19 BBY and his return in Rebels which was 3 BBY. There's 16 years where he could have been doing anything. Given the prominence of Gangs in the Empire to the point the Empire almost legitimized their business. Would be interesting to see Kenobi detrone maul from Crimson Dawn, but again, he would have to think Kenobi was dead. The connecting the dots with Rebels indicated that Maul thought Kenobi died in Order 66 or afterwards in the Purge.
    My main suspicion of Maul being the villain is based on his cameo in Solo and the timing of this project. Kenobi and Maul's stories have always intertwined. They finally reintroduce him in the films when this project was in development. It sets the stage for a live action Kenobi-Maul story told in long form which could be fantastic.

I agree, it will be hard to make it fit the established canon and they would be unable to have Kenobi kill Maul at the end without stripping Rebels of canon status (which they wont do). So that would make for a less satisfying ending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    My main suspicion of Maul being the villain is based on his cameo in Solo and the timing of this project. Kenobi and Maul's stories have always intertwined. They finally reintroduce him in the films when this project was in development. It sets the stage for a live action Kenobi-Maul story told in long form which could be fantastic.

I agree, it will be hard to make it fit the established canon and they would be unable to have Kenobi kill Maul at the end without stripping Rebels of canon status (which they wont do). So that would make for a less satisfying ending.
    My hunch is we see a big Obi-Wan Jabba connection. Jabba's been teased a whole lot in the Movies with some screen time, being the big boss on Tatooine a battle would be likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    My hunch is we see a big Obi-Wan Jabba connection. Jabba's been teased a whole lot in the Movies with some screen time, being the big boss on Tatooine a battle would be likely.
    It's certainly possible. He's someone already established with fans.

It's also possible Boba Fett is the villain with his known connections to Jabba and Tatooine. His back story also lends itself to having animosity between himself and the Jedi.

Ultimately, I would be concerned with any villain with an already established death. We know the ends of Jabba, Boba Fett, and Maul. There would be no tension there.

If they don't use Maul as the villain in an Obi Wan show, I wonder what the purpose of bringing him back on screen was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I have a hunch that the reality is the struggles of Obi-Wan living in exile. My only real hope is we get a Liam Neeson cameo. Qui-Gon was arguably the best new character in the prequels and like any interesting character Lucas introduced (Dooku, Maul, Windu, etc.) Guess the logic is that these cool characters obviously couldn't exist in the OT so they had to die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I have a hunch that the reality is the struggles of Obi-Wan living in exile. My only real hope is we get a Liam Neeson cameo. Qui-Gon was arguably the best new character in the prequels and like any interesting character Lucas introduced (Dooku, Maul, Windu, etc.) Guess the logic is that these cool characters obviously couldn't exist in the OT so they had to die.
    There's a small part of me that wants to see Prince Xizor brought into canon again. Might be cool to have Obi Wan take down the Black Sun.

I also really hope Qui Gon is in it. Liam Neeson would have been epic with a better script.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Qui Gon was an interesting character in non-film media as well. Both in Legends and Canon. In Canon he's the one who taught Yoda and Obi-Wan how to become Force Ghosts. It was an interesting arc he took and he added a Grayness to the Jedi Order that I think added some color and depth to an otherwise bland group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    An interesting take that I don't think they'll do for Obi-Wan would be to have Mace Windu return in the role of the villain. We never see him die, just get thrown out a window. Clone Wars firmly established a Jedi's ability to jump from extreme heights and use the force to slow themselves before impact. It would be entirely reasonable to believe Windu did this. However, being severely wounded and without his lightsaber, he went into hiding.

Imagine Windu plotting in secret to overthrow the Emperor and Vader using any means necessary. He would make for an extremely compelling villain. Not a guy who does evil for the sake of evil, but a guy who lets the ends justify any means. A Jedi fallen from his principles who channels both sides of the force to achieve his goals.

Windu could discover Anakin had children and plot to kidnap Luke with the plan of raising him as a weapon to be fired against the Emperor. Obi-Wan then has to launch his own war against Windu to stop him.

I don't think they go this way and it would be insanely difficult to conceal Samuel L Jackson's involvement. Still, it would be an awesome story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Would be wild enough, though unlikely. I would be shocked if they take Obi-Wan off of Tatooine, but I think there are lots of things he could be involved in on Tatooine. I mean the Obi-Wan Comics provided probably enough material for a miniseries, though I"d be upset if they just retold those same stories. I think that's the likely destination. Wouldn't be surprised to see perhaps some inclusions of other Tatooine familiars including Boba Fett. Possibly getting a Han cameo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Would be wild enough, though unlikely. I would be shocked if they take Obi-Wan off of Tatooine, but I think there are lots of things he could be involved in on Tatooine. I mean the Obi-Wan Comics provided probably enough material for a miniseries, though I"d be upset if they just retold those same stories. I think that's the likely destination. Wouldn't be surprised to see perhaps some inclusions of other Tatooine familiars including Boba Fett. Possibly getting a Han cameo.
    They'll have to go pretty deep into Tatooine to reach the normal galactic scope of Star Wars. It makes sense for Obi Wan to not leave Tatooine as he's watching over Luke but keeping him confined to a desert planet will tie the hands of the writers a bit.

However, simply hunting down criminals or even a Sith lord like Maul would seem to be insufficient reason for Obi Wan to abandon his post as Luke's protector and leave Tatooine.

Really the only thing that makes sense as to why Obi Wan would leave would be to go deal with a threat to Luke's safety. So either they stay on Tatooine, they have there be an off world threat to Luke, or they make Obi Wan make an out of character choice to leave.