Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Braves 2018 Offseason plans

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Folty lost his arbitration case. So the Braves saved that extra $100k between 2.2 and 2.3 million lol.
    Great, an extra $100k that they won't give a free agent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Folty lost his arbitration case. So the Braves saved that extra $100k between 2.2 and 2.3 million lol.
    Incredibly petty to go to arvitrarion over such a minor amount.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Incredibly petty to go to arvitrarion over such a minor amount.
    On both sides.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    On both sides.
    I have to think they didn't know they were that close to each other. I don't see how, but I can't see them (either of them) drawing such a hard line for chump change in the baseball world... I mean Coppy was giving that out to every draftees great aunt that last two years...
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Shelby Miller wins his , and Foltynewicz loses his. I’ve given up figuring this stuff out
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Shelby Miller wins his , and Foltynewicz loses his. I’ve given up figuring this stuff out
    With what each side submitted it was going to be hard for Miller to lose. Miller made 4.7 million last year and the DBacks submitted 4.7 million again. Players almost always get a raise in arbitration so the 4.9 million that Miller submitted was an easy win for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Someone on ESPN says Braves may try to sign him.

incarceratedbob says Boras is desperate and Braves may make a big offer but idk where we get the money.
    Hold on - it was from a Shoenfield listicle not in any way sourced, nor claiming to be sourced. It doesn’t mean anything.

In fact, Shoenfield said in the article that the Braves have money to spend, so that should be all that’s needed to know to disregard that article entirely.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Hold on - it was from a Shoenfield listicle not in any way sourced, nor claiming to be sourced. It doesn’t mean anything.

In fact, Shoenfield said in the article that the Braves have money to spend, so that should be all that’s needed to know to disregard that article entirely.
    Only because he doesn't read this board to get his information.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Only because he doesn't read this board to get his information.
    Wake up and smell the $106M opening day roster.

The Braves don’t have any more money to spend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    There isn't much excitement to talk about with regards to the Braves roster, but we can still hold out hope for some super bargain Mous signing to a heavily back loaded deal:

12:28
    ATL: Should the braves be looking to pick up another prospect bat w/ all the pitching they have? Or should they wait to trade for an experienced bat when they are competing?
    12:28
    Travis Sawchik: They could sign 29-year-old Mike Moustakas for a massive discount later this spring

At some point he represents too much of a bargain to pass up. It will be fascinating to see if he becomes a good enough bargain to make the Braves abandon their 3B plans and snatch him up.

The Cubs ended up with Darvish for a fairly significant discount by waiting him out.

Spending on FAs might just become the next market inefficiency...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm not so sure the Cubs got a great deal on Darvish. I would expect him to be about a 2.5 win/year guy over the next six years. Obviously better at the start and worse at the end. That works out to about 20M per year if the going rate is 8M per win.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm not so sure the Cubs got a great deal on Darvish. I would expect him to be about a 2.5 win/year guy over the next six years. Obviously better at the start and worse at the end. That works out to about 20M per year if the going rate is 8M per win.
    Going rate for a win is over $9M, and increasing every year of his deal. The Cubs will be hating the contract at the end (as is always the case), but it was a very solid deal for them.

Personally, I see their window beginning to close in 2-3 years, at which point they won't care about Darvish being an albatross.

The Cubs finally got their WS, and they are trying to push for 1-2 more. This was a very solid "win now" move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Going rate for a win is over $9M, and increasing every year of his deal. The Cubs will be hating the contract at the end (as is always the case), but it was a very solid deal for them.

Personally, I see their window beginning to close in 2-3 years, at which point they won't care about Darvish being an albatross.

The Cubs finally got their WS, and they are trying to push for 1-2 more. This was a very solid "win now" move.
    There are also some escalators and an opt out in the contract. I'd say you have to squint pretty hard to see how the Cubs got much of a deal on this.

There haven't been enough big signings this off-season to say what the going rate for a win is. Carlos Santana got an AAV of 20M per year. If anything I'd expect him to be a little better than 2.5 wins per year the next three years.

Cozart got an AAV of 13M. That to me is one of the better signings this off-season. I think he'll average about 2 wins during the three years of the contract.

Cain got an AAV of 16M. And I think he'll be a bit better than 2 wins per year over the next five years.

So it is hard to make the case that the going rate for a win is over $8M this off-season. Of course the comps I've offered are hitters. We'll know more about how the Cubs did when some of the other pitchers sign.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    As far as Mous goes (projected for 2.8 wins in 2018), here are all the teams projected to get less than 2 wins from 3B in 2018 as well as a quick note on their 3B situation:

Tigers 1.7 - rebuilding, young Candelario at 3B
    Brewers 1.7 - have cash, but also have a young Travis Shaw at 3B they think is breaking out, need SP
    Yankees 1.7 - trying to stay below the luxury tax threshold, have Andujar and Torres for 3B/2B
    Marlins 1.6 - no cash, have Prado at 3B
    Padres 1.5 - Chase Headley is in the way
    Pirates 1.3 - no cash, have options like Harrison, Freese, Moran and SRod already on the roster
    Rays 1.3 - no cash, just dumped Longoria for Arroyo
    Braves 1.0 - almost no cash in 2018, lots of cash in 2019+, "seeing what they have" in Camargo, and watching Riley's progress
    White Sox 0.9 - lots of cash, middle of rebuild, Burger is a college slugger who is likely to move quickly
    Royals 0.2 - little cash, just kicking off a major rebuild, liable to do something dumb like sign Hosmer or Mous.

The Braves are literally the only team who isn't rebuilding with a need at 3B and any amount of cash to sign Mous.

Is Riley really worth passing up on a bargain for Mous? At 5/85, no thanks. But what about at ~$50M over 4 years with only $5M-$8M being paid in 2018?

Who else is going to offer Mous anything? Literally...anything?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    As far as Mous goes (projected for 2.8 wins in 2018), here are all the teams projected to get less than 2 wins from 3B in 2018 as well as a quick note on their 3B situation:

Brewers 1.7 - have cash, but also have a young Travis Shaw at 3B they think is breaking out, need SP
    Yankees 1.7 - trying to stay below the luxury tax threshold, have Andujar and Torres for 3B/2B
    Pirates 1.3 - no cash, have options like Harrison, Freese, Moran and SRod already on the roster
    Braves 1.0 - almost no cash in 2018, lots of cash in 2019+, "seeing what they have" in Camargo, and watching Riley's progress
    White Sox 0.9 - lots of cash, middle of rebuild, Burger is a college slugger who is likely to move quickly
    Royals 0.2 - little cash, just kicking off a major rebuild, liable to do something dumb like sign Hosmer or Mous.

The Braves are literally the only team who isn't rebuilding with a need at 3B and any amount of cash to sign Mous.

Is Riley really worth passing up on a bargain for Mous? At 5/85, no thanks. But what about at ~$50M over 4 years with only $5M-$8M being paid in 2018?

I would backload a higher AAV in 2019 and 2020 if we could get him to sign for 3 years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I would backload a higher AAV in 2019 and 2020 if we could get him to sign for 3 years.
    Frazier took about 50% less than he was projected to get. Darvish took about a 25% discount.

Mous was projected at $85M, so a comparable discount to Frazier would be ~$40M. A comparable discount to Darvish would be ~$65M.

Considering Darvish had quite a few suitors and Mous has practically zero suitors, I think it's safe to expect him to fall closer to Frazier's 50% discount than Darvish's 25% discount.

So yeah, 3/40 paid as 6-17-17 might be plausible, and would represent a tremendous bargain for the Braves. Maybe tack on another $20M option with a $2M buyout or something similar.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

If the bargain becomes too great you could see one of the large market clubs like the Yankees jump in and severely backload the deal. They are staying under the tax threshold this year. Putting Mous between Stanton and Judge could make for a scary lineup over the next 3 or so years.

Everyone seems to believe that they will break the bank next year on either Harper or Machado. But both those guys are RH as is Stanton and Judge (and Sanchez). The LH bats the Yanks have are Gregorius, Gardner, Byrd aren't very scary and don't figure to be long term (unless Byrd turns it around).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

The Orioles would be smart to sign him if he comes at a discount. If they aren't moving Manny, it would make sense to go for it all this year. DH Moose this year and let him take over for Manny when he leaves for FA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    If the bargain becomes too great you could see one of the large market clubs like the Yankees jump in and severely backload the deal. They are staying under the tax threshold this year. Putting Mous between Stanton and Judge could make for a scary lineup over the next 3 or so years.

Everyone seems to believe that they will break the bank next year on either Harper or Machado. But both those guys are RH as is Stanton and Judge (and Sanchez). The LH bats the Yanks have are Gregorius, Gardner, Byrd aren't very scary and don't figure to be long term (unless Byrd turns it around).
    Luxury tax is based on AAV I'm pretty sure. So backloading wouldn't work. I could be wrong though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Luxury tax is based on AAV I'm pretty sure. So backloading wouldn't work. I could be wrong though.
    You are correct.

While the Yankees seem set on Andujar/Torres at 3B/2B, there is obviously a price point where they will jump in too. If they are getting under the tax line so they can splurge on Machado, getting Mous at an extreme bargain makes getting Machado a non-issue.

The Braves probably can't afford Mous at a price where they wouldn't be outbid by a contender, but at least it's something worth talking about during the most boring Braves offseason in history.