Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland School Shooting

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why do you want to trivialize this discussion with comments like this.

Now I am forced to address the dumb question. No, I don't want my fiance or some 80 year old teach who's never touched a gun having one.

I want my best friend who goes to the range three times a month having one.

And I want any potential mass shooter to know there is a possibility they get shot by a teacher and the embarrassment that will yield
    Trivialize: Go look at what the head of the NRA said yesterday. I didn't make up that phrase either. It's a common reaction from the right.

I'm glad you don't want your fiancee or an 80-year-old teacher having one. There is a proposal from the White House right now to train and arm teachers, a lot of them. If this is what we're going to do, it would take a good bit to be very effective because schools are big buildings. What if a person goes and shoots up a gymnasium full of PE students, but the teacher with the gun is across campus? You're going to have to train a lot of people, which will take time away from actually trying to improve education. Where's the money coming from? Who's paying for it? Are we going to start hearing pledges from politicians that they will not support tax increases for teacher firearm training? If there's going to be an incentive for them to get private firearm training in the form of bonuses, where's the bonus money coming from? A lot of them already get paid like **** to begin with.

I respect your position of wanting those with carry permits and knowledge of using the gun to be able to carry at school. As the military serviceman points out in the editorial I posted a couple pages back, there's much more that goes into those situations than knowing how to be a good marksman.

A lot of these shooters go to these schools, probably knowing there is at least one armed school resource officer. I don't think potential embarrassment is on their mind when they're getting ready to carry something like this out.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 02-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    "The problem with drawing a connection between the rise of concealed carry and the drop in the national crime rate, as Donohue and his co-authors point out, is that crime has not fallen equally in all parts of the country. Instead, the decline in violent crime has been most pronounced in states that maintained strict control over the right to carry guns, like New York and California. When other states decided to make it easier for residents to pack firearms, they appear to have missed out on reductions in crime of the same magnitude. Yes, in raw terms, crime declined in those right-to-carry states as well — but not nearly as much as it could have."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

To an earlier point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5cacb39e3cae

"These new findings are strong. But there's rarely such a thing as a slam-dunk in social science research. Donohue notes that "different statistical models can yield different estimated effects, and our ability to ascertain the best model is imperfect." Teasing out cause from effect in social science research is often a fraught proposition.

But for this very reason it's important for policymakers on both sides of the gun control debate to exercise caution in interpreting the findings of any one study. Gun rights advocates have undoubtedly placed too much stock in Lott and Mustard's original study, which is now going on 20 years old. The best policy is often informed by good research. And as researchers revisit their data and assumptions, it makes sense for policymakers to do the same."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Exactly. Most sane people will not move toward the sound of rapid gunfire. But Trump thinks a few hundred dollars more a month will turn an 8th grade Social Studies teacher into Wyatt Earp.

I bet if it was a 12 year old girl committing a minor violation he would have been all over it. Literally the 1 job a school cop has is to stop someone from hurting people. I know these cowards much rather spend their time bullying the kids than protecting them. They put these cops in schools now so they can get kids a head start in the criminal justice system. The school to prison pipeline is real. If a cop is too much of a coward to do something about an active shooter in a school then he needs to quit or not take the job in the first place. I would love to see this cop explain to the family of those that sacrificed themselves to save others why he did nothing. Might as well dress a scarecrow in police clothing and put it out front. It would be as effective as this cop.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I think he did quit after he was told he was being placed under internal affairs investigation. I'm sure there are others like him. My feeling is most school resource officers are aware of what their function is and wouldn't hesitate to defend the children, teachers, staff and administration. Every single interaction I've ever had with an SRO has been positive. Just about every single interaction I've had with a cop has been positive.

When I was in high school, we had a few fights which is typical with a lot of schools, couple drug busts, but only one hoax bomb threat where we had to evacuate in four years. The two SROs there were looked up to. They were role models, took an interest in students, were available to talk to as a counselor by extension, and they helped diffuse fights and planned fights and disagreements.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I think he did quit after he was told he was being placed under internal affairs investigation. I'm sure there are others like him. My feeling is most school resource officers are aware of what their function is and wouldn't hesitate to defend the children, teachers, staff and administration. Every single interaction I've ever had with an SRO has been positive. Just about every single interaction I've had with a cop has been positive.

When I was in high school, we had a few fights which is typical with a lot of schools, couple drug busts, but only one hoax bomb threat where we had to evacuate in four years. The two SROs there were looked up to. They were role models, took an interest in students, were available to talk to as a counselor by extension, and they helped diffuse fights and planned fights and disagreements.
    Great post. The failure of local and federal law enforcement in this case is just heartbreaking, but I second the thoughts on SROs. Those jobs are typically considered an honor and have a competitive selection process each time one comes open. Most departments that I'm aware of screen candidates closely to get the very best role model for the kids. That makes the failure of this SRO even more disappointing.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Great post. The failure of local and federal law enforcement in this case is just heartbreaking, but I second the thoughts on SROs. Those jobs are typically considered an honor and have a competitive selection process each time one comes open. Most departments that I'm aware of screen candidates closely to get the very best role model for the kids. That makes the failure of this SRO even more disappointing.
    Yea. I think the overall failure in this particular case — sheriff's office, state family and children services agency, the mental health facility, the FBI — is stunning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-24-2018)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Broward county police need to fire a lot of people tomorrow if stores are true

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (02-23-2018)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    You lied. That isn't a quote by me
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts

Look at this little old lady trying to stop a gunman. Braver than a Coward county cop.

It’s over."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    This video is worth watching

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-26-2018), weso1 (02-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Now hearing 4 Coward County cops pissed their pants outside while kids were being gunned down in school. Maybe schools should look to the private sector for security.

It’s over."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    hilarious to see republicans turn on a dime to be anti cop
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

Really amusing to those of us who were anti-cop before it was cool.

Cop allegedly hid behind the stairs with his gun drawn at nothing. Hope he will forever be remembered as the Coward of Broward.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    I haven't seen that, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the universal criticism this particular office has received.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    MSNBC‏Verified account @MSNBC

David Hogg on deputy who didn't enter school:

'I know that's what these police officers are supposed to do,
    but they're people, too.'

he's what, 16 ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I haven't seen that, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the universal criticism this particular office has received.
    I think his action, or inaction, was sad and didn't reflect whatever oath he took on assuming his job, but I think that turning him into a receptacle of colllective scorn is as misguided as trying to spin this incident as, in its essence, a police failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think his action, or inaction, was sad and didn't reflect whatever oath he took on assuming his job, but I think that turning him into a receptacle of colllective scorn is as misguided as trying to spin this incident as, in its essence, a police failure.
    I was referring to the Broward County Sheriff's department, not just this officer.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    To be honest this actually raised my opinion. I am so used to cops covering for coward cops that it's refreshing to hear cops call out a coward. This is exactly the type of thing that's covered up to avoid embarrassment. Maybe now all schools can reevaluate wether their school cop is there to stop shooters or just gets off bullying unarmed kids.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    The highlighted sentence from CNN is horrific ...

It makes more sense the way the Haabs have it written.
    Ivermectin Man