Page 64 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I could care less at this junction whether or not we lose Maitan as it appears that he's going to be a bust. We solve that problem pretty quickly by signing the guy from Baltimore next offseason.
    After 137 ABs, eh?

Maitan (Age 17 in the Appy and GCL) - 137 ABs, .241/.290/.340/.630, 8 2Bs, 1 3B, 2 HRs

Chipper (Age 18 in the GCL) - 140 ABs, .229/.321/.271/.592, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR

No doubt it's time to cut bait with Maitan.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Because they all know Dayton Moore so well?
    He's a proven winner. That's all that matters.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Does your boss give a **** where you live and what you eat? The answer is NO. He pays your salary and you go to work.

Owners pay the salaries, front office oversees operations and makes decisions, on field personnel and coaches oversee daily on field duties and tasks, and players are to play the ****in game and perform or else go home.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I'm tired of the players sticking their noses in the front office business whether it is vouching for a manger or a general manager.
    I can understand why they lobby for a given manager, seeing they know him and know their roles because of that (in an ideal situation, not saying that is the case with Snitker), but weighing in on who is GM borders on the ridiculous.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I can understand why they lobby for a given manager, seeing they know him and know their roles because of that (in an ideal situation, not saying that is the case with Snitker), but weighing in on who is GM borders on the ridiculous.
    It could also say what they think about being around Hart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    It could also say what they think about being around Hart.
    The fact that the bodacious one saw fit to tweet that tidbit provides reason to believe that Hart's seat is getting hotter. I don't think he would have tweeted that if someone other than the players had not given him reason to do so.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-24-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The fact that the bodacious one saw fit to tweet that tidbit provides reason to believe that Hart's seat is getting hotter. I don't think he would have tweeted that if someone other than the players had not given him reason to do so.
    I agree. I think that was preparation that Hart may be gone soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Someone from the front office whispered into his ear that several veteran players lobbied for Moore and he ran (or some facsimile thereof) with it.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Because they all know Dayton Moore so well?
    They all know plenty of people who worked with/for Dayton Moore when he was here.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Let me get this straight...it's absolutely acceptable and justified when a bunch of us nobodies who know no one personally go nuts and rant about who should or should not be running things for the organization, but it's "ridiculous" for players that are around those people daily to weigh in when asked???

I'll agree that they shouldn't be making the decision - inmates running the asylum and all - but not at least asking for their input if they care to share their opinion is pretty obtuse IMO. Kinda like building a house - the General Contractor in charge of the project has his subs that he typically uses, but you can bet your sweet *ss he checks with the people he's building the house for to make sure they wouldn't rather use a particular HVAC (or electrical or whatever) before making that decision.

Just make sure you handle the players the right way when you ask - "Freddie, do you have a preference based on discussions you've had with other players across the league? We'd certainly like to hear what the players think before we make a final call. There are obviously lots of things that need to be considered when making a hire of this magnitude - and the reputation some of these guys have amongst the players is one of them."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    The smartest teams are the best teams. This is what the Braves are up against:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/23...formation-age/

This blurb: "In 2015, ESPN the Magazine tried to rate all professional teams on the sophistication of their analytic efforts"

Is talking about this article:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ytics-rankings

Where the Braves are ranked in the bottom 8 teams, and classified as "Skeptics". They were grouped with the DBacks, who have since fired their entire FO, and the Rockies, who brought in Birdich who then fired Weiss for not being
    Stats savvy.

In 2015 the Braves had an analytics group consisting of one dude and an intern. They want to hire Weiss to be the stats voice to Snit after being fired for not knowing stats.

So...yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    The smartest teams are the best teams. This is what the Braves are up against:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/23...formation-age/

This blurb: "In 2015, ESPN the Magazine tried to rate all professional teams on the sophistication of their analytic efforts"

Is talking about this article:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ytics-rankings

Where the Braves are ranked in the bottom 8 teams, and classified as "Skeptics". They were grouped with the DBacks, who have since fired their entire FO, and the Rockies, who brought in Birdich who then fired Weiss for not being
    Stats savvy.

In 2015 the Braves had an analytics group consisting of one dude and an intern. They want to hire Weiss to be the stats voice to Snit after being fired for not knowing stats.

So...yeah.
    Pitch sequencing is mentioned in the first article. There was a comment in another thread saying advanced analytics wasn't needed to know that you need to throw fewer fastballs to the Yankees hitters. But I think there is a much more subtle question of how many consecutive curves you can throw before a hitter starts hitting them. And that at its heart is a great topic to research.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Another scapegoat I tells ya!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pitch sequencing is mentioned in the first article. There was a comment in another thread saying advanced analytics wasn't needed to know that you need to throw fewer fastballs to the Yankees hitters. But I think there is a much more subtle question of how many consecutive curves you can throw before a hitter starts hitting them. And that at its heart is a great topic to research.
    I can't find it now, but there was an article written about pitch tunneling that compared pitch pairs for each pitcher and derived how good they were based on the difference in distance between the 2 pitches at the point of decision, and then at home plate. The idea being that pitches that looked similar at the point of decision and then were in different places at home plate were "tunneled".

The whole concept of tunneling is something Maddux pretty much invented, and we are just now able to start analyzing how to best benefit from it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    I can't find it now, but there was an article written about pitch tunneling that compared pitch pairs for each pitcher and derived how good they were based on the difference in distance between the 2 pitches at the point of decision, and then at home plate. The idea being that pitches that looked similar at the point of decision and then were in different places at home plate were "tunneled".

The whole concept of tunneling is something Maddux pretty much invented, and we are just now able to start analyzing how to best benefit from it.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/pitch-...ctually-pitch/
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    If you want to call it pitch tunneling or not, that was what Kershaw was doing masterfully last night. His FB was bottom of the zone most of the night. so when the slider came, it stayed on the same plane as his FB and didn't break until it was too late. The hitter basically had to guess and hope.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yeah, that's the primer. Then someone actually broke down every pair of pitches for every pitcher and calculated how well they tunneled them. There was a sortable table where I literally see every Braves pitcher, and then look at how well Folty made his slider look like his fastball.

I should have bookmarked it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    It's the table that articles like this are referencing:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...angeup-tunnels

Wait, it's on BRef, I'm hot on the trail now!!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    It's the table that articles like this are referencing:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...angeup-tunnels

Wait, it's on BRef, I'm hot on the trail now!!
    Another good article that is a really good read linked off the article I posted.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/the-ef...ch-sequencing/
    Coppy