Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Pache could definitely end up a better hitter than Inciarte, but it's far from a sure, or even a probable, thing. I think if people thought Ender could hit the way he has, he wouldn't have been a Rule 5 guy. Now, just because people missed on him doesn't mean Pache can't hit better than that. But Ender's not-terrible offense has probably been a surprise to some teams.
    Contact and exit velocity are key IMO.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We know you think every prospect will be an all-star but that's not always the case. Pache's ceiling is hitting better than Ender and being a Bourn type player in his prime. His most likely outcome is hitting less than Ender and being a good role player while he's cheap.
    Well, I'll offer an opinion just as others do, but I would be surprised if Pache doesn't become more than a role player. Somewhere along the way which is probably a philosophy in the many organizations, the hitting emphasis for Pache has been to hit line drives and get on base, utilize his speed and learn the nuisances of hitting at his advantage in the count. That has served him well at this point and at his age.

Watching him is better than stat scouting because you hear and see the instruction he has been given. NOW, I will say that he had very little drive (13 doubles and 8 triples in 460+ abs) the many times I saw him and he was content with line drives. That is at least better than the let it rip philosophy but I expect more gap power going forward. The most HR'S Ender hit on the minors was 2 until the year before his debut when he got 6 I think.

So if the hitting plane changes just slightly to give him lift you measure his defense. I'm not admittedly a great metrics guy but if Pache approaches what Ender did defensively, one or the other becomes a great trade chip. I am high on Pache's defense as he would give you a gem almost every other game. There hasn't been a scout or analyst not rave about his defense right now as is.

Ok. Long story short, I don't see him as a bit player. I think if I'm the Marlins, he's a must in a deal for Yelich if we aren't including Acuña. He may never hit for double digit power but I suspect he will get close as he gets stronger.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-25-2018), Tapate50 (01-25-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    All star is dependent on comparative performance so it's impossible to say. I do think he will beat out Ender by a few points in wRC+.
    Actually getting voted into the game is dependent on other factors but the term all-star generally refers to 4+ WAR guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Contact and exit velocity are key IMO.
    LOL very astute.

Being able to hit the ball consistently and being able to hit it hard are certainly the most important aspects of hitting LOL.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Well, I'll offer an opinion just as others do, but I would be surprised if Pache doesn't become more than a role player. Somewhere along the way which is probably a philosophy in the many organizations, the hitting emphasis for Pache has been to hit line drives and get on base, utilize his speed and learn the nuisances of hitting at his advantage in the count. That has served him well at this point and at his age.

Watching him is better than stat scouting because you hear and see the instruction he has been given. NOW, I will say that he had very little drive (13 doubles and 8 triples in 460+ abs) the many times I saw him and he was content with line drives. That is at least better than the let it rip philosophy but I expect more gap power going forward. The most HR'S Ender hit on the minors was 2 until the year before his debut when he got 6 I think.

So if the hitting plane changes just slightly to give him lift you measure his defense. I'm not admittedly a great metrics guy but if Pache approaches what Ender did defensively, one or the other becomes a great trade chip. I am high on Pache's defense as he would give you a gem almost every other game. There hasn't been a scout or analyst not rave about his defense right now as is.

Ok. Long story short, I don't see him as a bit player. I think if I'm the Marlins, he's a must in a deal for Yelich if we aren't including Acuña. He may never hit for double digit power but I suspect he will get close as he gets stronger.
    Yeah. The long and short for Pache is that if he hits he's going to be really good. How likely is that? I have no idea.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I think you guys are under seeing pache offensive potential. I think he will hit better than ender
    You understand how big that word is, right???

Acuna has HOF "potential" - I'm relatively sure that if he turns into 80% of what Andruw was, everyone else will be beyond thrilled for years (and apparently Andruw isn't close to being a HOFer in the voters' eyes).

Potential is a bigger word than supercalifragilisticexpialidocius.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yeah. The long and short for Pache is that if he hits he's going to be really good. How likely is that? I have no idea.
    Just ask Kiley.

Pache will be Pillar, at the very least. That's an 85-90 wRC+ bat with premium CF defense.

We have nothing to worry about. He's at least a 3 win player...no worries! The future is bright!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Pace has a much better frame than ender. He should project to more power.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You understand how big that word is, right???

Acuna has HOF "potential" - I'm relatively sure that if he turns into 80% of what Andruw was, everyone else will be beyond thrilled for years (and apparently Andruw isn't close to being a HOFer in the voters' eyes).

Potential is a bigger word than supercalifragilisticexpialidocius.
    How easily you forget. Andruw got dogged by the fanbase for not being Willie Mays. Even Chipper got it in his early to mid 30's when he first started to break down and people thought he we was overpaid. Luckily he found another level towards the end. And let's not even bring up Heyward and peoples expectations for him. Braves fans have a problem with #1 overall prospects and their perception of what they should be compared to what they are actually doing for the team.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2018), Julio3000 (01-25-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just ask Kiley.

Pache will be Pillar, at the very least. That's an 85-90 wRC+ bat with premium CF defense.

We have nothing to worry about. He's at least a 3 win player...no worries! The future is bright!
    Yeah. I think Pillar is a good comp for Pache but not his floor.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    How easily you forget. Andruw got dogged by the fanbase for not being Willie Mays. Even Chipper got it in his early to mid 30's when he first started to break down and people thought he we was overpaid. Luckily he found another level towards the end. And let's not even bring up Heyward and peoples expectations for him. Braves fans have a problem with #1 overall prospects and their perception of what they should be compared to what they are actually doing for the team.
    I honestly believe that some people will be calling Acuna a disappointment even if he is a consistent 5 win player. Its crazy to think that our fanbase would be disappointed with 30 WAR over his first 6 seasons, but I bet they would be. If he doesn't hit some approximation of Mike Trout, many fans will call him a disappointment

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I honestly believe that some people will be calling Acuna a disappointment even if he is a consistent 5 win player. Its crazy to think that our fanbase would be disappointed with 30 WAR over his first 6 seasons, but I bet they would be. If he doesn't hit some approximation of Mike Trout, many fans will call him a disappointment
    Trout might be overboard. But if Acuna doesn't hit like Freeman and have plus defense there will be a certain section of the fanbase calling him a disappointment and overhyped.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Braves fans have a problem with #1 overall prospects and their perception of what they should be compared to what they are actually doing for the team.
    yes we are inherently different than other fan bases. for sure.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yes we are inherently different than other fan bases. for sure.
    I'm curious if the Nats fans think Harper has been a disappointment or not besides that 1 season? Someone should ask gilesfan.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm curious if the Nats fans think Harper has been a disappointment or not besides that 1 season? Someone should ask gilesfan.
    there prob are some. but he's also just 25 and has a 9.5 WAR season under his belt. But i'm sure some are disappointed that he hasn't been Trout.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Pache floor is dishwasher and his ceiling is mighty Casey. That should satisfy everyone.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Pache floor is dishwasher and his ceiling is mighty Casey. That should satisfy everyone.
    The guy from the poem or that guy who used to be on BET uncut with that song "White Girls"?? I'm kinda hoping it is the latter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    When Acuna comes up and struggles with MLB sequencing (meaning swinging at breaking balls away) while posting an OPS that might not crack the .800s...there will be complaints.

It is absolutely imperative the Braves give up a few weeks/months of .750 OPS Acuna in 2018 for a full year of .900 OPS Acuna in 2024.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2018), Julio3000 (01-25-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Gawd this is so true.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    When Acuna comes up and struggles with MLB sequencing (meaning swinging at breaking balls away) while posting an OPS that might not crack the .800s...there will be complaints.

It is absolutely imperative the Braves give up a few weeks/months of .750 OPS Acuna in 2018 for a full year of .900 OPS Acuna in 2024.
    It sure seems like that's the direction they are going, based on all you read. Or more specifically, "there is reason to believe" that this is the track AA is planning to take. Some casual fans may not understand the wisdom, but that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially given how little time you really have to leave someone down to gain that year (like the Cubbies did with Bryant).