Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salcedo traded to Pitt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    A bit like the Kyle Wren trade. We traded away a second-tier prospect for a third-tier one

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-06-2015)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I actually think Salcedo's signing probably was a Wren-level decision, just due to the money involved and his weird back story. But having a international signing go bust is hardly a hanging offense. The big ticket international guys don't have a particularly great track record.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-06-2015), clvclv (02-06-2015), jpx7 (02-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I actually think Salcedo's signing probably was a Wren-level decision, just due to the money involved and his weird back story. But having a international signing go bust is hardly a hanging offense. The big ticket international guys don't have a particularly great track record.
    If anything it was just a symbol of where the farm has gone under Wren's tenure.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A bit like the Kyle Wren trade. We traded away a second-tier prospect for a third-tier one
    I agree with this comparison. In both cases, the Braves were motivated to move on and acquired a lesser talent than what they gave up.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Some guy on YouTube has a ton of videos of Trepagnier:

It's easy to see what the Braves like about him -- he's got the type of controllable body you want in young pitcher (although his delivery is a little herky-jerky) ... already throws with a decent velocity, has enjoyed some nice success with his sinker in early experimentation. His ceiling is a late-inning reliever.

Trading Salcedo is weird to me, not that he was especially valuable, but just question the necessity of the move in general.

But then again, the Braves seem bound and determined to cut ties with everyone Wren ever signed -- like when they quietly purged 20 Minor Leaguers ... the week before Christmas -- so I don't read much more into it than that.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-06-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    To me, this organization thinks what it does best is develop pitching. I don't think they are wrong about that either. Give McDowell and Co enough arms and some talent and they are going to pull some full on gems out of the lot. Just my .02.
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    To me, this organization thinks what it does best is develop pitching. I don't think they are wrong about that either. Give McDowell and Co enough arms and some talent and they are going to pull some full on gems out of the lot. Just my .02.
    Exactly. The pitchers will just be currency in trades yo acquire hitters with a track record.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post

Got lotsa tats on the arms. Maybe they have some magic quality that protect his arm from falling off.
    Oh, the inverse W/Strasburg motion.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Are there going to be enough innings for these guys to pitch this year?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, he's got an inverted "d" on his uniform, too.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-06-2015), jpx7 (02-06-2015), Tapate50 (02-06-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    lowercase

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Kinda looks like a penis with only one testicle

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I agree that there was always something odd about the Salcedo signing given the backstory (which I am a little foggy on).

I was probably Salcedo's last fan on this board. I thought he could still develop into a decent four-corner utility guy who could hit a bit.

PS--It's too bad we no longer have a team in Myrtle Beach. Trepagnier could have pitched there and after the season, he could have written a book about it. It would have been entitled (doing my best Mr. Peabody) "Bryton's Beach Memoir."
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 02-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-06-2015), Hawk (02-06-2015), jpx7 (02-06-2015), Julio3000 (02-06-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Some guy on YouTube has a ton of videos of Trepagnier:

It's easy to see what the Braves like about him -- he's got the type of controllable body you want in young pitcher (although his delivery is a little herky-jerky) ... already throws with a decent velocity, has enjoyed some nice success with his sinker in early experimentation. His ceiling is a late-inning reliever.

Trading Salcedo is weird to me, not that he was especially valuable, but just question the necessity of the move in general.

But then again, the Braves seem bound and determined to cut ties with everyone Wren ever signed -- like when they quietly purged 20 Minor Leaguers ... the week before Christmas -- so I don't read much more into it than that.
    Potential AAA OFs as it stands today...

1.) Toscano
    2.) Perez
    3.) Cunningham
    4.) Terdoslavich

We just sent Constanza back after he cleared waivers, and you could see Elander bucking for a promotion if he gets back on track. No need to have Salcedo wasting ABs at Gwinnett, he's proven he's not going to cut it at this point, and all 6 of those guys stand a much better chance of providing some help at the MLB level at some point than Edward.

Since it's a lost season, maybe they do actually decide to placate the fanbase and sign Andruw and keep Perez percolating at Gwinnett to see if they've found a diamond in the rough.

The return is pretty blah, but I don't see any reason to turn away another arm if someone else's scouts saw something they thought they could fix.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-06-2015 at 12:10 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    PS--It's too bad we no longer have a team in Myrtle Beach.
    I went to see the Pelicans play there a lot as a kid since it was only a little over an hour away from my home -- even got an Adam LaRoche bobblehead, which is still in its box somewhere. Nice ballpark, great location. Drove by it a few weeks ago and saw that they are now a Cubs affiliate (had been with the Rangers immediately after the Braves left town).

There is a Yankees franchise locally in Charleston but I only go for the occasional $1 beers on Thirsty Thursday and the rehab starts; A-Rod played here for a few games in 2013 and I got to see Tim Hudson pitch a few innings in 2012.

Since the Braves left Greenville, the closest organizational baseball for me is now Atlanta itself (and I actually just bought season tickets, should be interesting).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I went to see the Pelicans play there a lot as a kid since it was only a little over an hour away from my home -- even got an Adam LaRoche bobblehead, which is still in its box somewhere. Nice ballpark, great location. Drove by it a few weeks ago and saw that they are now a Cubs affiliate (had been with the Rangers immediately after the Braves left town).

There is a Yankees franchise locally in Charleston but I only go for the occasional $1 beers on Thirsty Thursday and the rehab starts; A-Rod played here for a few games in 2013 and I got to see Tim Hudson pitch a few innings in 2012.

Since the Braves left Greenville, the closest organizational baseball for me is now Atlanta itself (and I actually just bought season tickets, should be interesting).
    Yeah, I miss the MB affiliate. I used to catch games down there whenever I was on the coast.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd say more of a third tier for third tier. Add the fact that we seem much more adept at developing pitchers than position players and you can see where it would make sense.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    @mlbbowman: Had Salcedo remained with the Braves, there was reason to wonder if there would have been a spot for him on Gwinnett's roster.

My god. Every. ****ing. Time.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-06-2015), Hawk (02-06-2015), jpx7 (02-06-2015), Julio3000 (02-06-2015), Tapate50 (02-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    @mlbbowman: Had Salcedo remained with the Braves, there was reason to wonder if there would have been a spot for him on Gwinnett's roster.

Big fella be trollin.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post

Well, he doesn't love beisbol.