Page 117 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Heyman saying the sticking point for the Yankees and Gray is that they won't give up Torres of Frazier... yeah... not gonna happen A's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Heyman saying the sticking point for the Yankees and Gray is that they won't give up Torres of Frazier... yeah... not gonna happen A's.
    Gray probably goes to the first team offering a $30m+ prospect plus 2-3 other pieces.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Look at the rebuild as a whole. To me the overall theme is trying to contend before you are ready. Rushing. It's been pretty apparent from the start.
    It's the theme of the rebuild.

Of course the Johns are smarter than everyone else, currently AND historically....so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I would like to see Coppy do the job without any influence of the guys overhead... just to see if he's the problem in some of these weird occasional decisions or not.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-27-2017), thewupk (07-28-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    The HO trade is an example of how only ONE short sighted move can hurt you. I put it right up there with the Shelby trade. The Dodger knew they had made a mistake, and flipped the crap out of it. Note to the FO: No one trades a guy they just won a biding war to sign for 60 mil, unless something is up.

It cost us so much young talent and then resulted us making the Kemp PR move. It was a double whammy.
    I refer to that as the Alex Wood trade. Obviously, I liked Alex a lot. I was on record at the time saying I didn't know if Wood would be a great starter, but he should be figuring it out in Atlanta, not LA. That deal just went against the stated goal of the rebuild and the general flow of the deals made....even if it had been made for some other, less odious middle aged maybe. Competitive balance pick, Paco, blah blah blah. It was Wood going out that I had a problem with. Still do. Most everything else I can live with and made sense on some level, but not that one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'm thinking that Matt Adams may be a back up option for the Yanks if they strike out on Alonso. I wouldn't be surprised if Adams is traded at the last minute.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-28-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Really? Wow.

You guys probably only know the bare surface of what a GM does and the information they have access to. This might be the most arrogant thing I have read on this board.
    And this surprises anyone? Of course everyone's a better whatever on the internet - just ask the blackjack dealer.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Really? Wow.

You guys probably only know the bare surface of what a GM does and the information they have access to. This might be the most arrogant thing I have read on this board.
    Yes GM's and FO's have more access to information than anyone here. I could also name 10 people on this board that I 100% believe would be a better GM than Dave Stewart.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Rangers are telling teams they will trade Darvish before the deadline.
    And then re-sign him in the offseason. Smart move if they can get something decent.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I would like to see Coppy do the job without any influence of the guys overhead... just to see if he's the problem in some of these weird occasional decisions or not.
    I would as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Jim Johnson - R - Braves

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Braves are "listening" to inquiries on Jim Johnson, but they're "not actively looking to move him."

Johnson is under contract for 2018 at a reasonable $4.5 million, so the Braves aren't necessarily in a rush to trade their closer, but Crasnick says of the reliever that "several teams have had scouts in to look at him." The veteran reliever hasn't had a great July, pushing his ERA for the year up to 4.10, but he boasts a nice 50/15 K/BB ratio over 41 2/3 innings and would be a quality addition for a contender, likely as a setup man. Arodys Vizcaino is a worth stash just in case the Braves do wind up dealing Johnson.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jim Johnson - R - Braves

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Braves are "listening" to inquiries on Jim Johnson, but they're "not actively looking to move him."

Johnson is under contract for 2018 at a reasonable $4.5 million, so the Braves aren't necessarily in a rush to trade their closer, but Crasnick says of the reliever that "several teams have had scouts in to look at him." The veteran reliever hasn't had a great July, pushing his ERA for the year up to 4.10, but he boasts a nice 50/15 K/BB ratio over 41 2/3 innings and would be a quality addition for a contender, likely as a setup man. Arodys Vizcaino is a worth stash just in case the Braves do wind up dealing Johnson.
    I hope they trade JJ or Viz.. BP arms general fetch the best return.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    With the absolute log jam of arms they will have going into next year, why in the world would you not trade at least JJ and probably Viz. They are both inconsistent, but have good stuff and some pitching hungry team would take the gamble. It would clear probably in the neighborhood of at least 6 mil. off the books. Viz has two more arb. years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    David Price to the DL with elbow issue.

They are in the same place as last year.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    With the absolute log jam of arms they will have going into next year, why in the world would you not trade at least JJ and probably Viz. They are both inconsistent, but have good stuff and some pitching hungry team would take the gamble. It would clear probably in the neighborhood of at least 6 mil. off the books. Viz has two more arb. years.
    I would say b/c Viz has been injured and JJ has been inconsistent.

I think moving JJ makes the most sense to move b/c ppl know what he is. He's a good RP with a solid contract. I don't think anyone will see him as a closer.

I think moving JJ and putting Viz in the closer role makes Viz much more valuable and maybe he's healthy next year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Tehran for Chavis (blocked and close) + one of Scherff/Shawaryn + another piece.............who says no to that? I'd say Braves b/c they won't trade Tehran w/o knowing they have another 25-30 y/o to plug in the rotation.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I hope they trade JJ or Viz.. BP arms general fetch the best return.
    Pretty interesting if they could move Johnson IMO. If you can, I'd consider taking his money and splitting it between Vizcaino and Ramirez in extensions - gives you a cheap, controllable arm that can be a Closer for a while. Say you offer each extensions for 3 years/$6 million this winter, you'd have gone a long way to fixing costs at the back end of the pen for a while.

Plus, as you mention, that'd sure make both awfully nice trade pieces in that price range.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

David Price on 10 day DL with elbow/forearm problems. I think we all know where this is probably heading...

Let this be the latest cautionary tale about signing SPs into their 30s. The folks that want to make a push for someone like Darvish this offseason.

Price was arguably the most durable pitcher in the game in his 20s. He routinely tossed 200-220+ innings every year. His lowest inning total was 186 in 2013.

Then he turned 30...and now he's getting hurt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And this surprises anyone? Of course everyone's a better whatever on the internet - just ask the blackjack dealer.
    I don't think I'd be better than any GM currently in the game at anything other than maybe valuing players in transactions. That's about 20% of what a GM does, and they easily outclass me in the other 80%.

I do, however, know for a fact I'd be better at it than you. You have zero idea how to evaluate player value. You would have traded Albies for Dee Gordon. You would have left the roster at 24 players after Colon was cut. You thought Wisler and Folty were equivalent pitchers this offseason.

I imagine 90% of the posters here would be better at it than you.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-28-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Why would you not try to trade Jim Johnson's mediocre-ness and try to save 5 million or more for next year. If there is interest there, and the team is willing to take on the entire contract, take some 40 FV player or other lottery ticket.