Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing hitters

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Developing hitters

I was talking to my dad earlier about Newcomb and how he is the last piece from the Simmons trade. I was telling him how frustrating it is that Simmons struggled so much his last year or two at the plate in Atlanta, yet has done really well in LAA.

That got me thinking, outside of Freeman, who is the last good hitter that we have developed through our system recently? Heyward did okay early on but struggled mightily towards the end. Before that, francouer was the same. Dansby came up and did well last year but fell off the face of the earth.

Do you think focusing almost solely on pitching has caused us to fall behind on how to properly teach these kids to hit...? (Of course you sometimes get lucky and have guys with natural hitting talent like freeman. Hopefully Acuna falls into that category.)

Btw, it seems like a lot of the issues for these guys seem to be similar. Poor situational hitting, lots of strikeouts, and poor pitch recognition.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I worry about out hitting and pitching development.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2017), UNCBlue012 (08-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Gattis was/is pretty good. Obviously McCann was fantastic. Yunel was good and has had a long career. Heyward was a good hitter, not elite, but a good hitter nonetheless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

The last TOR hitter the system has developed would be Smoltz and Glavine. They developed the occasional bullpen arm. Position player wise...nothing after Chipper Jones.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Nothing much has changed about Simmons except that he is hitting the ball a little harder this year and his HR rate has spiked along with just about everyone else in baseball it seems. Otherwise, he's basically profiling about the same as a hitter. Same GB/FB -- relatively similar walk and k rates.

His BABIP is up this year probably in part because he is hitting the ball harder.

But he has displayed this kind of power before albeit it was an outlier season where things otherwise weren't going that well for him.

This seems like natural progression, plus some good fortune, plus maybe a juicy ball.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

The last TOR hitter the system has developed would be Smoltz and Glavine. They developed the occasional bullpen arm. Position player wise...nothing after Chipper Jones.

Wainwright
    Alex Wood

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If you have a guy like Dansby, who has average tools, he's not going to be great unless he maxes his tools out, and he's not even half tapping into his tools because the Braves aren't good at helping you max out your tools.

Ozzie is more likely to be okay even if he doesn't max out (the worst he does is probably Andrelton like with better speed before LAA which would be frustrating) because his tools are better. And Acuna's are even better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I can see the argument there with busts like Hanson,minor, etc.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    If you have a guy like Dansby, who has average tools, he's not going to be great unless he maxes his tools out, and he's not even half tapping into his tools because the Braves aren't good at helping you max out your tools.

Ozzie is more likely to be okay even if he doesn't max out (the worst he does is probably Andrelton like with better speed before LAA which would be frustrating) because his tools are better. And Acuna's are even better.

Dansby is so lost at the plate it's not going to be fixed by seasons end. He needs to go into the offseason and re-start his swing from the ground up
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Prado as a hitter. But yes. The development of can't miss prospects that keep missing is concerning. Very concerning

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Dansby is so lost at the plate it's not going to be fixed by seasons end. He needs to go into the offseason and re-start his swing from the ground up
    That would be cool. Would at least be the end of the talk about how they blew a year of control, I would hope.

He really does need to stay down until he is crushing AAA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Then what about guys like Medlen and Beachy?

This stuff is overblown. We're no better or worse than any other organization at developing players. We view prospects by their ceiling, then get disappointed when they don't hit that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-04-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    While injury risks are a real with certain prospects I wouldn't label players that perform well and then don't right after injury 'busts'.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Early Tommy Hanson was awesome. Such a fun pitcher to watch. RIP

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Wainwright
    Alex Wood
    Jason Schmidt (stupidly traded him)
    Kevin Millwood
    Jurgens (before injury)
    Medlen

With that said, the best ML team at getting the most out of hitters is Toronto (any number of underachieving veterans have gone there to blossom). I think minor league development is too much tied to talent acquisition and evaluation to really be judged separately. You could say the Dodgers are really good with Bellinger and Seager and Pederson and Puig or the Astros or the Cubs or the Bosox, but alot of their top end hitters were top end prospects, not bought in the bargain bin. The Braves have a bad historic tendency to think they are smarter than everybody else when they take early draft hitters and they either hit pretty big (CJ, Heyward, Freeman) or completely bust (Komminsk, Thorman, Lombard, Davidson). Pitching tends to be a little different in that, even if the pitcher doesn't ever do much, they are at least good enough to get a cup of coffee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Jason Schmidt (stupidly traded him)
    Kevin Millwood
    Jurgens (before injury)
    Medlen

With that said, the best ML team at getting the most out of hitters is Toronto (any number of underachieving veterans have gone there to blossom). I think minor league development is too much tied to talent acquisition and evaluation to really be judged separately. You could say the Dodgers are really good with Bellinger and Seager and Pederson and Puig or the Astros or the Cubs or the Bosox, but alot of their top end hitters were top end prospects, not bought in the bargain bin. The Braves have a bad historic tendency to think they are smarter than everybody else when they take early draft hitters and they either hit pretty big (CJ, Heyward, Freeman) or completely bust (Komminsk, Thorman, Lombard, Davidson). Pitching tends to be a little different in that, even if the pitcher doesn't ever do much, they are at least good enough to get a cup of coffee.
    Agreed. I like our minor league player development staff. It seems like our MLB development folks are lacking, though.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Wainwright
    Alex Wood
    Wainwright wasn't can't-miss until after he got to STL.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Wainwright wasn't can't-miss until after he got to STL.
    Ditto for Jason Schmidt after he went to the Giants, and the Pirates were who he was traded to initially.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    I think our problem is less development and more evaluation. Trading Wood and Wainright were 2 major mistakes.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I think our problem is less development and more evaluation. Trading Wood and Wainright were 2 major mistakes.
    Forecasting is an inexact science. Mark DeRosa had a nice career, but nothing from his minor league performances suggested anything more than backup type.

Wood's having a great year, for sure, but that doesn't mean he'd have done the same behind Tehran as Clayton Kershaw. Plus, it doesn't mean it will be the same next year. Not sour grapes. Good for him.

People tend to get a little carried away with ex-Braves having success elsewhere or a trade didn't work out. it happens to every team.