Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some profound observations

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Uh, the more time prospects spend in AAA, the less likely they are to be studs.

AAA time is needed but a ton of AAA time has been proven to be NOT needed. Better development is needed a heck of a lot more than AAA time. And as it turns out, the Braves absolutely SUCK at developing hitters and really need help NOW with it.

It's not just recently, after the early 00's, almost everyone has disappointed and busted as a Braves hitting prospects.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Twas easier to call up Andruw when we were the #1 payroll in baseball with Ted money.

We're middle to middle-bottom of the pack in payroll now. Have to be a bit more fiscally responsible.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Twas easier to call up Andruw when we were the #1 payroll in baseball with Ted money.

We're middle to middle-bottom of the pack in payroll now. Have to be a bit more fiscally responsible.
    Braves have the same payroll now they did 17 years ago. That's all you really need to know.

Braves FO seems to think they are stuck in the same era as well and don't understand how to operate a team that's in the middle-bottom of payroll.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

rico43 (08-20-2017)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Also, the 1996 Braves were really good. Andruw Jones was a monster in Game 1 and 2 of the World Series. The 96 Braves were just a little better than the 2017 team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pugfan For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Uh, the more time prospects spend in AAA, the less likely they are to be studs.

AAA time is needed but a ton of AAA time has been proven to be NOT needed. Better development is needed a heck of a lot more than AAA time. And as it turns out, the Braves absolutely SUCK at developing hitters and really need help NOW with it.

It's not just recently, after the early 00's, almost everyone has disappointed and busted as a Braves hitting prospects.
    Methinks this is a problem of cause and effect. I'm sure the sata shows a negative correlation between time spent in AAA and MLB success. But it is likely because those without as much success in the majors aren't as good and need more time in AAA, not because spending more time in AAA makes MLB success less likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Dansby is playing where he needs to be. He's the future at SS, not camargo. Dansby is figuring it out too. Since his return (9 games), he's .300/.400/.467 with 14.3 bb% and 14.3 k%. His bWAR and fWAR were -0.7 when he came back; both are at -0.3 today... not good, but the 0.4 WAR in 9 games is good. He's also the better defender at SS of him and camargo.

Play camargo at 3b if you wanna play him every day.

nsacpi, where's Swanson's ops for our bet right now? I can't ever remember start date
    he's at .650 since we made the bet in mid-April...he's up from less than .600 when he called back up...
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Dansby needs to be playing SS every day and Albies needs to be playing 2B every day. Period.

And Acuna needs to be in AAA.
    Exactly.. An Albies trade is stupid and wanting Dansby there is worse.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Methinks this is a problem of cause and effect. I'm sure the sata shows a negative correlation between time spent in AAA and MLB success. But it is likely because those without as much success in the majors aren't as good and need more time in AAA, not because spending more time in AAA makes MLB success less likely.
    That would be my working theory as well.

I think talent makes the difference more than anything else -- particularly with a hitter.