Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just to add a little fuel to the fire...

Gorman is slashing .304/.429/.717/1.146 with 1 2B, 6 HRs and a 10/13 BB/K Ratio in his first 13 games.

Sure it's rookie ball, but he sure looks like he would have been another nice bat to pair with Jenista and Waters in a couple years.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Why people care about draft grades astonishes me. What matters is how many prospects you have in a given time horizon. Shifting a first rounder from one year to the next hardly impacts that.

If losing Stewart gives us an F grade this year, do we get an A+++ for having two first round picks next year?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    The big concern is going from June 2017 to June 2019 without adding impact talent to the system. With our international limitations, that's a blow.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    He in Rookie A ball which is the Danville equivalent. That really good to be in high rookie level ball and not the GCL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    The big concern is going from June 2017 to June 2019 without adding impact talent to the system. With our international limitations, that's a blow.
    Except we don't know that. No one thought Albies or Acuna would be impact talent. We have some under the radar signings showing upside in th rookie leagues. Alexander and Jenista could both end up being impact talent. That's just not a possible statement to make at the moment.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I don't really see how it's that big of a deal. We will have the #9 pick next year. It's not like Stewart is a college bat/arm that could impact the Braves soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Pretty much an 1:30 left to sign him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    except we loaded up on college guys and they should do that in the low minors.

I'm not going a to f. But no top 10 pick and I'd go C easy.

Maybe that money could go into the ML team if Liberty does the books that way...

I don't see how this works for Stewart.

Say they agreed on 4.5 million. Braves are saying 3.5 million now (total guess, it's probably more). So he's out 1 million and good percentage. Sucks.

If he goes back to school he has to hope in 3 years he's still a first rounder and likely at top 10 guy again to get more money. Meanwhile he misses out on the present value of the money, time to invest the money and takes a huge risk with his health as a pitcher.

The only way he wins this is to go to school and then be a top 5 pick. That's tough odds. Especially with all of the games teams do with money in the draft.
    Very tough odds. If the Braves were offering me anywhere near 3-4 million I’d take it and be happy. To many things can go wrong being a pitcher and waiting 2 years.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Braves go into the 2019 draft with picks 9 and 20 they would be in a great position to get 2 Top 10-15 talents.

I might prefer that to an injured pitcher if he is truly in bad shape.
    I'd almost prefer that even if he isn't seriously injured. Just not seeing the big deal here. If he's healthy and the Braves want him then cool. If not, we have lots of flexibility and the 9th pick next year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This comment always amuses me...

You guys realize Jenista was a Cape League MVP who Sickels' reports had pegged with a 60 arm and 55 run grade to go along with his 60/70 raw power, right?

(https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...-wichita-state)

When you read some of the reports that question his ultimate power as a 1B, they remind me of some of the things said about Freeman and Hosmer when they were coming up. Those guys turned out OK and Freeman's power ceiling still remains unreached. The difference is Jenista's athletic enough to stick in an OF corner, and (if Markakis is brought back next year) could be ready to step in in 2020.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I'd almost prefer that even if he isn't seriously injured. Just not seeing the big deal here. If he's healthy and the Braves want him then cool. If not, we have lots of flexibility and the 9th pick next year.
    Amazing how having the unbelievable stockpile of arms we've got makes this situation much easier to stomach, ain't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I don't really see how it's that big of a deal. We will have the #9 pick next year. It's not like Stewart is a college bat/arm that could impact the Braves soon.
    My issue is looking at next year’s GCL, Danville and Rome rosters as well as we can right now. It’s seriously lacking the upper level talent we’ve been used to. No question there will be plenty of talent from High A to the majors, but pushing this pick back a year creates a Rome team next year with very few prospects, and there doesn’t seem like there will be much beneath that either because of the international penalties.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    My issue is looking at next year’s GCL, Danville and Rome rosters as well as we can right now. It’s seriously lacking the upper level talent we’ve been used to. No question there will be plenty of talent from High A to the majors, but pushing this pick back a year creates a Rome team next year with very few prospects, and there doesn’t seem like there will be much beneath that either because of the international penalties.
    They could easily pick a college bat/arm that would be further along the developmental path than Stewart is. Non issue.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Would Stewart even be pushed to Rome next year? He probably wouldn’t pitch this season and I doubt they’d send him to straight to Rome.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    In the end, if the Braves believe Stewart's wrist is a big issue for his future development, there's no reason to offer him above the 40% threshold. We'll end up with the 9th and a mid 20s pick next draft and should be able to get comparable talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Again, you have no idea if that will be true or not.... no one thought Albies or Acuna would be upper level talent and there are already a few interesting young guys on the rookie teams. A few of those are likely to reach legit prospect status.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just to add a little fuel to the fire...

Gorman is slashing .304/.429/.717/1.146 with 1 2B, 6 HRs and a 10/13 BB/K Ratio in his first 13 games.

Sure it's rookie ball, but he sure looks like he would have been another nice bat to pair with Jenista and Waters in a couple years.
    Wanted him at 8 so badly. Too bad the Braves have a massive hard on for HS arms.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Amazing how having the unbelievable stockpile of arms we've got makes this situation much easier to stomach, ain't it?
    That is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said. Losing your 8th overall pick pick because your org is super cheap is not easy to stomach.
    Last edited by EstebanBugatti; 07-06-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Would Stewart even be pushed to Rome next year? He probably wouldn’t pitch this season and I doubt they’d send him to straight to Rome.
    Pretty much high level arm we’ve taken in recent years has started at least at Rome — Anderson, Wentz, Wilson, Soroka, etc. Muller didn’t because they were monitoring his innings. When they take high school kids high, it’s very rare that they don’t start in Rome. Pretty safe to assume he’d start there’s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Again, you have no idea if that will be true or not.... no one thought Albies or Acuna would be upper level talent and there are already a few interesting young guys on the rookie teams. A few of those are likely to reach legit prospect status.
    Come on. You take all the cheap international free agents, I’ll take all the big money ones. Who’s going to end up with better players?