Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I was going to point out that difference is only one game then I realized we missed out on #2 by one game.

Oops.
    Well, technically the difference is less than one game. So even using WAR as a hard fact, you can't be certain that calling Dansby up made us win an extra game. Did it probably? Yes. Do we know that for sure? Of course not.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, technically the difference is less than one game. So even using WAR as a hard fact, you can't be certain that calling Dansby up made us win an extra game. Did it probably? Yes. Do we know that for sure? Of course not.
    Also don't have any idea how the other SS would have performed. Like I said even E-bar went ballistic for a short period in the line up that was collectively hot. We could have called Johan up and he could have played better than Swanson. We could have called Swanson up and sat JT for a start. Let FF have two days off. It is insane that people are trying to paint the Swanson call up as the direct reason we are picking 5 and not 2.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Also don't have any idea how the other SS would have performed. Like I said even E-bar went ballistic for a short period in the line up that was collectively hot. We could have called Johan up and he could have played better than Swanson. We could have called Swanson up and sat JT for a start. Let FF have two days off. It is insane that people are trying to paint the Swanson call up as the direct reason we are picking 5 and not 2.
    Direct reason? No. There were a lot of factors that led to the Braves picking from 2 to 5. Was Swanson one of them? I would say if anyone is being honest with themselves then yes he improved the team the last month of the season. Would I rather have the #2 pick instead of the #5 pick? Yes I would. I would argue most people will be wanting that this summer as well when the joy of playing somewhat well last September has long faded. I would also want to have Swanson's age 29 season guaranteed to be with the Braves as well. We all want and say he will be extended if the Braves want to. However we also know that it doesn't always work out that way.

IMO the cons far outweigh the pros for bringing up Swanson when we did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Direct reason? No. There were a lot of factors that led to the Braves picking from 2 to 5. Was Swanson one of them? I would say if anyone is being honest with themselves then yes he improved the team the last month of the season. Would I rather have the #2 pick instead of the #5 pick? Yes I would. I would argue most people will be wanting that this summer as well when the joy of playing somewhat well last September has long faded. I would also want to have Swanson's age 29 season guaranteed to be with the Braves as well. We all want and say he will be extended if the Braves want to. However we also know that it doesn't always work out that way.

I'd have liked to gotten 2 over 5, but I enjoyed watching the braves play well down the stretch. Finishing strong gives me much more hope headed into this season even if it's a false hope.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-31-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The 2nd pick would be cool, but the 5th pick is fine. People are reacting too much to a couple draft slots in the MLB draft. Yes, it is better to pick 2nd than 5th. How much better? Ultimately it's pretty negligible.

One thing we also have to remember is that even with Dansby up, it is pretty hard to predict that team winning 20 of their last 30 games. I don't think the FO believed we could play our way down to 5.
    Last edited by smootness; 03-31-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,374 Posts

Absolutely agree. There. Not lets get this thread back on track and talk about the Soroka promotion to AA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Absolutely agree. There. Not lets get this thread back on track and talk about the Soroka promotion to AA.
    Probably just another genius move by the genius himself. Gonna cost Carolina a championship.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'd have liked to gotten 2 over 5, but I enjoyed watching the braves play well down the stretch. Finishing strong gives me much more hope headed into this season even if it's a false hope.
    Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Swanson obviously helped the team get better after he was called up, but his presence didn't cause Kemp to have an OPS > 1.000 and Markakis have an OPS > .800 in September. Players want to win and after looking so terrible early in the season, there was probably extra incentive for this set of Braves to play hard to the end. These guys are professionals and they do have pride.

As for Soroka, I remember the minor eruption after he was drafted and labelled a "reach" by so many. I don't know how he'll turn out, but I tend to ignore lists at all the draft-related publications other than to get a basic idea about a prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Swanson obviously helped the team get better after he was called up, but his presence didn't cause Kemp to have an OPS > 1.000 and Markakis have an OPS > .800 in September. Players want to win and after looking so terrible early in the season, there was probably extra incentive for this set of Braves to play hard to the end. These guys are professionals and they do have pride.

As for Soroka, I remember the minor eruption after he was drafted and labelled a "reach" by so many. I don't know how he'll turn out, but I tend to ignore lists at all the draft-related publications other than to get a basic idea about a prospect.
    That 2015 draft looks pretty good right now.

Allard
    Soroka
    Riley
    Minter
    Weigel

With still some potential contributions from Herbert/Morales/Graham
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Probably just another genius move by the genius himself. Gonna cost Carolina a championship.
    We are rushing him. Hold him back till hes 23 so we can suck for five more years and still have him controlled til 30.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-31-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That 2015 draft looks pretty good right now.

Allard
    Soroka
    Riley
    Minter
    Weigel

With still some potential contributions from Herbert/Morales/Graham
    Yes it does. The Pache/Cruz signings look great as well.

We'll have to wait and see on the 2016 draft, but the early returns there were good; then you have Maitan, Severino and the rest of that group. That could be a 2-year cycle that looks fantastic in a few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Yes it does. The Pache/Cruz signings look great as well.

We'll have to wait and see on the 2016 draft, but the early returns there were good; then you have Maitan, Severino and the rest of that group. That could be a 2-year cycle that looks fantastic in a few years.
    Braves always drafted great throughout their run in the 90s and early 2000s as well. That will be the true test. The drafting has sucked for a long time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves always drafted great throughout their run in the 90s and early 2000s as well. That will be the true test. The drafting has sucked for a long time.
    I never liked the strategy of taking low-ceiling college guys early, but it does help when you're picking near the top of the draft.

As we (hopefully) start to win more, scouting will be crucial to sustain the farm system.
    Last edited by smootness; 03-31-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    I never liked the strategy of taking low-ceiling college guys early, but it does help when you're peaking near the top of the draft.

As we (hopefully) start to win more, scouting will be crucial to sustain the farm system.
    That's probably the strongest part of the organziation. Professional scouts that know what they are doing and are actually respected by those in charge.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts
    The 2nd pick would be cool, but the 5th pick is fine. People are reacting too much to a couple draft slots in the MLB draft. Yes, it is better to pick 2nd than 5th. How much better? Ultimately it's pretty negligible.

One thing we also have to remember is that even with Dansby up, it is pretty hard to predict that team winning 20 of their last 30 games. I don't think the FO believed we could play our way down to 5.
    The biggest difference in picking 2 or 5 isn't so much the player. It's the 2+ million in draft bonus pool that's given up.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    In the end things like a guaranteed 29 year old season and a greater chance of picking higher in this years draft, no matter how small they are, give the Braves a better chance of being a better team in the future. Swanson coming up Sept and the team playing well does not. Teams like the Braves have to leverage everything they can to making their team better.

Yes, I don't think the braves envisioned a lot of the hitters catching fire and the team playing as well as they did. But they didn't do anything to try and slow that train down either. It's short sighted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,905 Posts
    In the end things like a guaranteed 29 year old season and a greater chance of picking higher in this years draft, no matter how small they are, give the Braves a better chance of being a better team in the future. Swanson coming up Sept and the team playing well does not. Teams like the Braves have to leverage everything they can to making their team better.

Yes, I don't think the braves envisioned a lot of the hitters catching fire and the team playing as well as they did. But they didn't do anything to try and slow that train down either. It's short sighted.
    That last paragraph is ludicrous man. That's a Cleveland Indians vs Rachel Phelps type scenario.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That last paragraph is ludicrous man. That's a Cleveland Indians vs Rachel Phelps type scenario.
    Is it? They let Snit manage every game like it was game 7 of the World Series.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    I don't know about you but I'd much rather Nick Senzel than Ian Anderson