Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Respect, I Tell Ya

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The braves are a very deep team. We don't have any obvious weaknesses at any position, our bench is deep, and our rotation, including injuries, is legit 7-deep. The bullpen has the best ERA in the majors.

That said, depth matters for very little in the playoffs. What does seem to matter in the playoffs, based on studies that were done, is a top-heavy K-heavy pitching staff (don't have that), a good defense (kinda have that), and an elite closer/back end of the bullpen (check).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The team is a bit underrated because it doesn't have an MVP or Cy Young type player. But it is above-average in many areas, which allows it to grind down the opposition. It does have two exceptional players-Simmons and Kimbrel-but for different reasons they are not fully appreciated by non-Braves fans or even many Braves fans.

In the case of Kimbrel, part of it is that most people realize a great starter is worth quite a bit more than a great closer and part of it is due to the fact that he was a bit better last year.

With Simba, you have to watch him every day to appreciate what a huge difference his defense makes.

Anyhow, this is one of the best Braves teams of the past twenty years, and we have had plenty of great teams in this period. It has survived a lot of injuries. I read somewhere we have had more different players go on the DL this year than any other team. The playoffs are always a crapshoot but I think our chances of winning the WS are better than all but two other teams (the Dodgers and Tigers).

I think the key to our post-season is the starting pitching. We are going to need a couple starters to step up and allow us to win a couple games where the offense is scuffling against the other team's ace. We just need to stay in those kinds of games until both teams turn things over to the bullpen. At that point the odds will tilt in our favor.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    ****! Mulder doesn't think we can win?

Wel, it was a fun season at least.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    There's always the possibility that we catch some bad luck or just fall flat, but I think this team has the mettle for a good playoff run.
    What makes this conversation annoying is the knowledge that there's a very good chance we'll flame out of the playoffs, not because of some flaw in roster construction or team character, but simply because that **** happens in the playoffs. And we know that far better than most. So we might very well end up losing in the LDS, and everyone at ESPN and MLB can pat themselves on the back for their prescience, when really it's just how the stupid playoff dice fall.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-03-2013), jpx7 (09-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I don't care if we get swept in the world series not scoring a run, all I want is for the Braves to play either the Dodgers or Cardinals in the NLCS and beat them on their field, while being broadcast by ESPN.

They'll probably go straight to commercials and start airing an special overview of the great season that the Dodgers/Cardinals had and how they're such a great team.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gtcway For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "There is nothing about the team that jumps out at you" - except the fact that the starting lineup has played together 28 times all season and they STILL have the best record in baseball.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that the Braves have a winning record against EVERY OTHER contender in the NL - yes ESPN and Jim Bowden, that includes the Dodgers.

We're exactly where you want to be - the world knows how good this team can be and not only doesn't want to admit it for fear they'll be called out for jumping on the bandwagon late...they're much more afraid of us than they want to let on as well.
    Don't forget to point out the fact we missed Kershaw both series. And that's exactly what makes the playoffs so different, we can't hide from facing the best pitcher in the league twice in one series.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    That may be true, but who other than the Dodgers are built for that in the NL that will actually get to the playoffs?

Pirates... Don't think so.

Cards.... meh.. only one ace on that staff.

Reds... Don't think so.

The Dodgers appear to be the best team right now, but after that there really isn't another obvious favorite. And the Braves really shouldn't expect to compete with the Dodgers' finances.
    The Cards have Shelby Miller, who is every bit of an ace.

I think it's pretty wide open in the NL. Lean Cards (kinda have to, they are proven winners and have 2 guys that can stack up with anyone).

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post

I think it's pretty wide open in the NL. Lean Cards (kinda have to, they are proven winners and have 2 guys that can stack up with anyone).
    It's the Dodgers for one simple reason.

Their top two pitchers are better than every starter for every NL team.

No team in the NL can matchup with Kershaw and Greinke, it's really that simple. Throw in Ryu and Nolasco and that's a deadly rotation.

And Miller at home, yes, his road numbers are night and day different.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,321 Posts
    With Greinke's anxiety disorder I don't expect him to hold up well in the playoffs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-03-2013)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    With Greinke's anxiety disorder I don't expect him to hold up well in the playoffs.
    Social anxiety does not work that way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Temo For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-03-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    Social anxiety does not work that way.
    I have social anxiety. It does work that way with most of us. Put me in a big game and watch me freak the **** out.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-03-2013), GovClintonTyree (09-03-2013), Pugfan (09-03-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    What makes this conversation annoying is the knowledge that there's a very good chance we'll flame out of the playoffs, not because of some flaw in roster construction or team character, but simply because that **** happens in the playoffs. And we know that far better than most. So we might very well end up losing in the LDS, and everyone at ESPN and MLB can pat themselves on the back for their prescience, when really it's just how the stupid playoff dice fall.
    I hates it, but it's true.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Don't forget to point out the fact we missed Kershaw both series. And that's exactly what makes the playoffs so different, we can't hide from facing the best pitcher in the league twice in one series.
    And we got the Dodgers at home before Puig, no Hanley.

Missed Greinke and Kershaw that series.

Got them when they were struggling a lot.

Second series Hanley could only pinch hit and as you said, avoided Kershaw.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Right now, I would rank the Dodgers as the best team in baseball. They've been hot as the Braves, but for much longer. As already mentioned, their top two guys in their rotation make them a formidable foe in the postseason.

We'll see what happens. I think the strength of our bullpen makes us competitive in the postseason. Plus, we need Heyward back.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Giles, would you say Julio is an ace if Miller is?

Julio and Millers numbers are about the same.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Giles, would you say Julio is an ace if Miller is?

Julio and Millers numbers are about the same.
    I would say Julio is on the verge. His numbers are very good.....not quite Miller good, but not too far off either.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I would say Julio is on the verge. His numbers are very good.....not quite Miller good, but not too far off either.
    Their numbers are nearly the same.

Julio has a better ERA, less walks, 10-12 less strikeouts, .1 less WHIP with more innings.

About as close as it could get.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I have social anxiety. It does work that way with most of us. Put me in a big game and watch me freak the **** out.
    From what I've heard from people who have it, being in front of 5 people is no worse or better than being around 50 people. I've been taught that it doesn't scale that way.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

IF Miller's an "Ace" (as pointed out above, his numbers are no better than Teheran's), who's their second "Ace"??? The guy the Reds just pounded like a AA Pitcher in his last two starts? Got a text from a Cardinal diehard who watches every game yesterday, and he said there's something wrong with Wainright even though it's not being talked about. Go back and look at his last several starts. Maybe it's just dead-arm, maybe not - who knows? His velocity's down and he's getting hit HARD, even with that curve. He had one good outing against us (which you count on happening because of the adrenaline involved), but he's certainly not deserving of being included in any Kershaw discussions.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wainwright is absolutely an ace. Two bad starts in a row doesn't change that.
    Natural Immunity Croc