Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollywood/Political Sex Offense Scandals (Now Louis CK and AL-GOPSenateNom Roy Moore)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The YMCA/mall stuff is hearsay evidence. I guess most of the people were that were in actual decision-making/administrative positions are dead now. I wish that somebody could get J.D Thomas on record - at the very least for some clarification. He won't answer questions, supposedly.

For example:

Delores Abney, 63, a retired domestic violence counselor, said she and her husband had heard things about Roy Moore and his interest in younger women for years.

On Monday night, Ms. Abney said she recalled Mr. Moore, the embattled Republican Senate candidate, being a regular presence in the mid-1980s at the Y.M.C.A. There, she said, he was often talking to much younger women — women that “appeared to be high school on up,” she said — in an exercise class she was enrolled in. “I’m not saying he was trying to pick them up. It just did not look appropriate.”

You'll find similar language in the New Yorker piece.
    A couple of women have since come forward to offer corroboration for elements of the mall stories, but not corroborating the specific inferences that were made in the piece. I thought that the New Yorker piece was too thin to run.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-17-2017), jpx7 (11-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The YMCA/mall stuff is hearsay evidence. I guess most of the people were that were in actual decision-making/administrative positions are dead now. I wish that somebody could get J.D Thomas on record - at the very least for some clarification. He won't answer questions, supposedly.

For example:

Delores Abney, 63, a retired domestic violence counselor, said she and her husband had heard things about Roy Moore and his interest in younger women for years.

On Monday night, Ms. Abney said she recalled Mr. Moore, the embattled Republican Senate candidate, being a regular presence in the mid-1980s at the Y.M.C.A. There, she said, he was often talking to much younger women — women that “appeared to be high school on up,” she said — in an exercise class she was enrolled in. “I’m not saying he was trying to pick them up. It just did not look appropriate.”

You'll find similar language in the New Yorker piece.
    Evidentiary standards are different in the court of public opinion. For me the stuff about the mall, YMCA and library pass the sniff test.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-17-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Evidentiary standards are different in the court of public opinion. For me the stuff about the mall, YMCA and library pass the sniff test.
    Both of those pretenses frighten me a little bit.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-17-2017), jpx7 (11-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    i don't care if its George HW Bush, Al Franken, Moore, etc., it's time that such nonconsensual behavior be challenged. The sixth and seventh commandments (understood in their depth) matter. And such abusive, sexual sins strike against the dignity of human beings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-17-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I can't help feeling very cynical about the timing of the Left's turn on WJC. Very cynical.
    To be fair (and to return to the broken-record for a moment) the Actual Left has been pretty critical of former-President Clinton's sexual transgressions for years; it's the neoliberal and center-left contingent that is finally getting around to a real reckoning of his misdeeds (as well as their Third Way inheritance).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-17-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Both of those pretenses frighten me a little bit.
    Paradoxically, I agree with both of you here.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To be fair (and to return to the broken-record for a moment) the Actual Left has been pretty critical of former-President Clinton's sexual transgressions for years; it's the neoliberal and center-left contingent that is finally getting around to a real reckoning of his misdeeds (as well as their Third Way inheritance).
    Agreed. I was referring more to left side media.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Does it? Frankly, passing Clinton’s behavior off as being merely ‘sexually inappropriate’ seems exponentially more misleading to me.
    I'm objecting to you putting words in her mouth. If Lewinksy intended to accuse Clinton of rape, she would do that. She did not. if she does, I will listen. It is not your place to do that for her by twisting her words to make a political point.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

57Brave (11-18-2017), goldfly (11-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I’m saying the coercion was inherent.
    So, is your thought that anytime a superior has sex with a subordinate, it is inherently rape due to power imbalance? That's a pretty... bold... claim.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-18-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I'm objecting to you putting words in her mouth. If Lewinksy intended to accuse Clinton of rape, she would do that. She did not. if she does, I will listen. It is not your place to do that for her by twisting her words to make a political point.
    She inferred impropriety, I speculated that it was likely Clinton. We went into the weeds about whether or sexual assault was rape. I explained that I believe what Clinton did was rape. Lewinsky’s concurrence on specificity is beside the point, as is whatever trite political angle you want to interject to belie the realities of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I'd argue one could call it rape. He was POTUS. IF she felt compelled to "agree" to his advances based on his power/potential punishment for her, I'd define it as rape.
    If Lewinsky wants to call it rape, then I will listen. I wasn't there and have no idea what really happened. But it is not Hawk's (or anyone's) place to deny her personal agency and decide her trauma for her.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So, is your thought that anytime a superior has sex with a subordinate, it is inherently rape due to power imbalance? That's a pretty... bold... claim.
    No.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    She inferred impropriety, I speculated that it was likely Clinton. We went into the weeds about whether or sexual assault was rape. I explained that I believe what Clinton did was rape. Lewinsky’s concurrence on specificity is beside the point, as is whatever trite political angle you want to interject to belie the realities of the situation.
    The guy yammering about Clinton in the face of a Republican sexual scandal is accusing me of having a "trite political angle." Okay.

You believe Clinton raped Monica Lewinsky because reasons. Got it. Fine. You are a free man in a free world. Maybe he did even. My only point was that Lewinsky is not claiming this, and it is kind of gross for you to spin her words and claim it for her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    No.
    Ok, good. So claim you explain the "inherent" rape?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The guy yammering about Clinton in the face of a Republican sexual scandal is accusing me of having a "trite political angle." Okay.

You believe Clinton raped Monica Lewinsky because reasons. Got it. Fine. You are a free man in a free world. Maybe he did even. My only point was that Lewinsky is not claiming this, and it is kind of gross for you to spin her words and claim it for her.
    It’s more like an American sex scandal. And it’s not just me yammering - it’s the New York Times, The Atlantic, Vox Media, etc. But let’s just skirt over that for the sake of drollness.

And, again, I didn’t put words in Lewinsky’s mouth. And I’m not denying her personal agency (although how you don’t see yourself defining her agency is another story entirely).
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-18-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Ok, good. So claim you explain the "inherent" rape?
    The rape was inherent in the power dynamics at play with Clinton and Lewinsky specifically, not in the exaggerated scenario you posited. Power is not wielded solely through hierarchical workplace superiority. He was roughly 30 years her senior, the leader of the free world, the epicenter of Lewinsky’s world, a man. Treating Clinton as though he were just another boss seems naive.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-18-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The “it’s only rape if she says so” sentiment makes me cringe. As if there weren’t a million reasons why Lewinsky might want to avoid that route. A thousand different ways she might have compartmentalized the experience.

But don’t advocate on her behalf. That’s somehow churlish and politicallly driven. Right-o.
    Last edited by Hawk; 11-18-2017 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jake Tapper‏Verified account @jaketapper
    15h15 hours ago

Jake Tapper Retweeted Franklin Graham

A reminder that Moore has been accused of sexually molesting a 14 year old girl and sexually assaulting a 16 year old girl.

Who's guilty of "doing much worse than" that, Reverend? Seriously, this is a matter for law enforcement
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    for all the democrats and republicans bringing Clinton back into the fold (i'm shocked)

why aren't they saying the president now or Clarence Thomas should step down etc?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Trump should have hushed on Franken. Because now he reopens the door for his own accusers to get back into the spotlight.
    Forever Fredi

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-19-2017)