Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Adam Duv-awful Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

The Adam Duv-awful Thread

Duvall is now 4 for 40 as a Brave. That's a .100 BA. But at least he's also shown no power (all 4 hits have been singles), poor plate discipline (just 3 BBs), and atrocious defense.

Seriously, how long can we keep this guy around? He's a marginal player when he's not actively giving games away. Right now he's absolutely killing us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Got control doe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It was always questionable to pay extra for Duvall just because he had extra control. Paying retail for role players under control seems like a poor use of resources. That was my beef with the move, even though it was an overall solid acquisition.

There's no reason to dump him since he's cheap and there's plenty of room on the roster, but he has likely moved way down the PH pecking order. Now that the Braves have 3 catchers on the roster, expect to see Flowers, Suzuki and Culberson to get the bulk of the PH appearances vs LHP.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-06-2018), jpx7 (09-06-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It was always questionable to pay extra for Duvall just because he had extra control. Paying retail for role players under control seems like a poor use of resources. That was my beef with the move, even though it was an overall solid acquisition.

There's no reason to dump him since he's cheap and there's plenty of room on the roster, but he has likely moved way down the PH pecking order. Now that the Braves have 3 catchers on the roster, expect to see Flowers, Suzuki and Culberson to get the bulk of the PH appearances vs LHP.
    Results aside, was Lucas Sims really paying full price for Duvall?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

Duvall has to be nontendered this offseason. There's no reason to expend any resources on him next season.

Also, I'm not sure he has moved himself down. A rational manager would let him rot on the bench but that's not what we have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Duvall has to be nontendered this offseason. There's no reason to expend any resources on him next season.

Also, I'm not sure he has moved himself down. A rational manager would let him rot on the bench but that's not what we have.
    Non tendering him seems to be the best way to guarantee he makes the All star game next season
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-06-2018), JohnAdcox (09-06-2018), jpx7 (09-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Yeah, he'll be somewhere near 2 million next year. Really doubt he is non-tendered.

Hopefully it's just a mechanical flaw they can be fixed. Wonder if he has a brother-in-law we could get on the team somehow?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I definitely think he's back next year. He's been woeful with Atlanta, but I think he could be a very valuable piece on next year's bench. Going from starting (where he was struggling) to hitting on a nearly pinch-hit basis isn't easy.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Duvall falls into the category of players who has to play every day to have a chance at being good, but may not be good enough to play every day (you following?). The thing that has saved him in the past somewhat is that he appeared to be able to play decent defense. He just hasn't been good here, but it likely hasn't been easy for him to adjust to an extreme part-time role after playing pretty much every day in Cincinnati.

I don't know whether he will be back or not. They first have to make a decision on Markakis before moving to second tier decisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Duvall's hitting struggles could maybe be understandable. He's adjusting to not playing every day, he's on a contender for the first time, he's probably had some bad BABIP luck, etc. But a few things still puzzle me.

First is his power outage. Even if he's getting unlucky with balls hit at fielders, he should still have driven a couple out of the park by now. His 4 hits have all been singles. The eye test hasn't been kind to him either. From what I've seen of his ABs, he's not really driving the ball at all. Lots of lazy fly balls.

Second, his defense has been putrid. Yesterday was a great example.

Honestly, Duvall has probably cost us 2 games with his play and he hasn't even played that much. I'm hoping he'll rebound and be the player he was for the Reds but the more he struggles the more we might be watching a Dan Uggla-like collapse of a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Just because Duvall has been awful for us since his arrival doesn't mean he's an awful player. The initial consensus was that this was a solid trade given his career numbers, including the experts. A whole lot of hindsight heroes in this thread right now. I have a hard time saying a player should be non-tendered based on 40 at-bats.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-06-2018), jpx7 (09-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Just because Duvall has been awful for us since his arrival doesn't mean he's an awful player. The initial consensus was that this was a solid trade given his career numbers, including the experts. A whole lot of hindsight heroes in this thread right now. I have a hard time saying a player should be non-tendered based on 40 at-bats.
    I thought it was an okay add when we made it. I thought Wisler and Sims had more talent than some were giving them credit for so I don't think it was a steal, but I thought Duvall could add some power.

I also thought Uggla was going to be a great add and he ended up collapsing immediately. Duvall just turned 30 and has never been what you would call a complete player. It's entirely possible that his tools have started eroding and, with him already having deep flaws as a hitter, he's experienced a complete collapse.

The thing that really concerns me is that his numbers aren't just terrible, he looks absolutely AWFUL out there. He's not spraying bullets all over the field. He's having bad ABs and making weak outs.

If Duvall continues to show nothing at the plate and especially if he keeps screwing up in the field, I don't even feel comfortable putting $2 million into him for next year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Super (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I thought it was an okay add when we made it. I thought Wisler and Sims had more talent than some were giving them credit for so I don't think it was a steal, but I thought Duvall could add some power.

I also thought Uggla was going to be a great add and he ended up collapsing immediately. Duvall just turned 30 and has never been what you would call a complete player. It's entirely possible that his tools have started eroding and, with him already having deep flaws as a hitter, he's experienced a complete collapse.

The thing that really concerns me is that his numbers aren't just terrible, he looks absolutely AWFUL out there. He's not spraying bullets all over the field. He's having bad ABs and making weak outs.

If Duvall continues to show nothing at the plate and especially if he keeps screwing up in the field, I don't even feel comfortable putting $2 million into him for next year.
    Yup... no one's saying he hasn't been awful, but I do still think its a pretty small sample size. I don't have a comfort level on what to pay him or not, though... its not my money... I could care less

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Results aside, was Lucas Sims really paying full price for Duvall?
    You know the cost wasn't just Sims, and you know Sims, Wisler and Tucker all had some value, just like Duvall did.

I would have rather seen the Braves get a rental RHH for Sims or wisler...or a LHH earlier for some of that package.

In the end the issue isn't the cost. The issue is the process AA used. That process entailed paying for extra control over a role player, and that is a faulty process because role players are easy to acquire at any time.

Now we are seeing just how little value control over a role player is when Duvall becomes a non-tender candidate.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

striker42 (09-06-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

It would not surprise me to see him included as a smaller piece in a trade in the off season. Would kind of allow the FO to save face and say they got some value for him, while moving on.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    You know the cost wasn't just Sims, and you know Sims, Wisler and Tucker all had some value, just like Duvall did.

I would have rather seen the Braves get a rental RHH for Sims or wisler...or a LHH earlier for some of that package.

In the end the issue isn't the cost. The issue is the process AA used. That process entailed paying for extra control over a role player, and that is a faulty process because role players are easy to acquire at any time.

Now we are seeing just how little value control over a role player is when Duvall becomes a non-tender candidate.
    I’d venture that Wisler was well on his way to exiting the organization, and we already bought Tucker back, so it’s not like he had much value. I just don’t see any scenario in which we would have found a rental whose price was tangibly lower than Duvall’s.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I’d venture that Wisler was well on his way to exiting the organization, and we already bought Tucker back, so it’s not like he had much value. I just don’t see any scenario in which we would have found a rental whose price was tangibly lower than Duvall’s.
    OK, you're missing the point, and getting stuck on the actual cost of Duvall.

The Braves were specifically targeting role players with team control at the deadline. It was stated many times.

Any player with additional team control is going to cost more than an equivalent player who is a rental. This is a known fact of player valuation.

It is a bad process to pay more for a role player due to the fact he is under team control longer than a rental, no matter what the actual cost of any particular move ends up being. We need to evaluate the process, not the results.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    OK, you're missing the point, and getting stuck on the actual cost of Duvall.

The Braves were specifically targeting role players with team control at the deadline. It was stated many times.

Any player with additional team control is going to cost more than an equivalent player who is a rental. This is a known fact of player valuation.

It is a bad process to pay more for a role player due to the fact he is under team control longer than a rental, no matter what the actual cost of any particular move ends up being. We need to evaluate the process, not the results.
    I find myself agreeing with Scheffy here. The Braves wanted Duvall because:

1. He was perceived as a bench upgrade.
    2. He had control beyond this year.

They were planning for next year at the same time as they were upgrading this year. They were clearly willing to pay a little more for a good bat with future control.

They obviously didn't expect Duvall to totally suck this year. I still think he will be included as a piece of a trade in the off season. I suspect they are ready to move on from him and look at other options, but want to be able to say they got some value for him even if it is a bit limited.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I find myself agreeing with Scheffy here. The Braves wanted Duvall because:

1. He was perceived as a bench upgrade.
    2. He had control beyond this year.

They were planning for next year at the same time as they were upgrading this year. They were clearly willing to pay a little more for a good bat with future control.

They obviously didn't expect Duvall to totally suck this year. I still think he will be included as a piece of a trade in the off season. I suspect they are ready to move on from him and look at other options, but want to be able to say they got some value for him even if it is a bit limited.

Regardless of how Duvall ends up playing, I think it was a pretty good price the Braves got.

I can question why they chose to address that specific position, but this was two clubs selling low in effort to try and address their relative weaknesses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

This. Duvall was an almost 30 year old role player who already was clearly in decline. Future control meant nothing.

I think the Braves also might have gotten a bit caught up in who Duvall was before this year and not what Duvall is now. A 27 year old Duvall in his prime is an entirely different animal than a 30 year old Duvall rapidly heading towards being a minor leaguer again.