Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2323

Thread: Around the League: 2017 offseason edition / 2018 Season

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If Walker Buehler pitch today when should be the next time he pitch? Game 3? Hopefully next year lol!!
    Yeah that guy scares me more than Kershaw.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If Walker Buehler pitch today when should be the next time he pitch? Game 3? Hopefully next year lol!!
    Game 3 is on Sunday, and Games 1-2 are Thursday and Friday, so unless he was on a small PC, he'd go Game 3, and i'd assume Ryu/Kershaw in some way shape or form Games 1-2.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There is a huge difference in the Braves taking back an aging SS with one year of control and very little value and the Marlins taking back a very high value prospect with six years of control remaining.
    I was talking form not content. The deals are similar in that both deals gave an indication of the Braves and Marlins wanted to appear serious about putting a competitive team on the field. As for taking on Aybar's salary, if you are trading someone like Simmons, that should be a favor enough for the team that is acquiring him. I still like Newcomb and I could stomach Ellis as a throw-in, but the Braves should have made the Angels dump Aybar somewhere else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was talking form not content. The deals are similar in that both deals gave an indication of the Braves and Marlins wanted to appear serious about putting a competitive team on the field. As for taking on Aybar's salary, if you are trading someone like Simmons, that should be a favor enough for the team that is acquiring him. I still like Newcomb and I could stomach Ellis as a throw-in, but the Braves should have made the Angels dump Aybar somewhere else.

I'm just a little bit lost as to why Lewis Brinson would be considered more as a win now player than an investment in the future.

And I don't understand why the Braves would have rather have not had Aybar. They didn't have a SS. aybar was theoretically a player who could have had a good half season and netted another low end prospect at the deadline. If he didn't affect the prospect package, and I don't think he did, there was no real drawback to take him. The Braves were not doing anything else with that money or that position.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm just a little bit lost as to why Lewis Brinson would be considered more as a win now player than an investment in the future.

And I don't understand why the Braves would have rather have not had Aybar. They didn't have a SS. aybar was theoretically a player who could have had a good half season and netted another low end prospect at the deadline. If he didn't affect the prospect package, and I don't think he did, there was no real drawback to take him. The Braves were not doing anything else with that money or that position.
    By the time the Marlins are on schedule to be good, Brinson will be arbitration eligible and may become a budget issue. I don't go as far as Horsehide Harry, but if you plan on rebuilding, just rebuild. Develop a core that you can slot into the big league and develop a window of contention. That's how you have to do it if you are a mid-market or below team.

I suppose one could argue Aybar was the infield version of Nick Markakis (and although I have always liked Markakis as a player without whom we would not be in the playoffs this, his signing was a puzzling one), but was it the best resource allocation? I'm not a big fan of Jose Peraza, but if the Braves had held onto him instead of including him in a similar deal that was made to look like the Braves were trying to accelerate their contention window, they would have had someone to at least stand at SS for a season. In other words, sideways moves in which the team gained no advantage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (10-02-2018), jpx7 (10-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    By the time the Marlins are on schedule to be good, Brinson will be arbitration eligible and may become a budget issue. I don't go as far as Horsehide Harry, but if you plan on rebuilding, just rebuild. Develop a core that you can slot into the big league and develop a window of contention. That's how you have to do it if you are a mid-market or below team.

I suppose one could argue Aybar was the infield version of Nick Markakis (and although I have always liked Markakis as a player without whom we would not be in the playoffs this, his signing was a puzzling one), but was it the best resource allocation? I'm not a big fan of Jose Peraza, but if the Braves had held onto him instead of including him in a similar deal that was made to look like the Braves were trying to accelerate their contention window, they would have had someone to at least stand at SS for a season. In other words, sideways moves in which the team gained no advantage.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree here.

Brinson had six years of control remains and was rated a 60 FV kind of dude.

It the Marlins thought the was the best prospect they could get, then I think they made the right decision.

Worrying about a prospect being so good you have to pay him a lot of money in arbitration (that's really, really good) doesn't make a lot of sense. He's by definition going to be very underpaid and therefore very valuable to other clubs. You can always him flip him again for assets that make more sense to your window. Though things have gone pretty poorly if your window is more than five years out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Jose Peraza, but if the Braves had held onto him instead of including him in a similar deal that was made to look like the Braves were trying to accelerate their contention window, they would have had someone to at least stand at SS for a season. In other words, sideways moves in which the team gained no advantage.
    But taking Aybar back in a trade had nothing to do with whether the Braves kept Peraza. If you want to criticize the Oliveira deal again, I think everyone agrees with you.

Aybar also wasn't like Markakis, because Aybar was an expiring contract and Markakis was signed to four seasons.

Bitch about Markakis deal all you want, but 1) he has earned the contract 2) he has been a clubhouse leader and 3) he's a major contributor to a contending baseball team in the last year of his deal.

It's worked about about exactly how the front office might have hoped despite all the naysaying and all the bitching and all the talk about how the fourth year would be a crusher.

I thought it was a somewhat pointless thing to complain about during the rebuild because it genuinely did not really matter. Complaining about it after it's been completely successful seems peculiar to me.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    But taking Aybar back in a trade had nothing to do with whether the Braves kept Peraza. If you want to criticize the Oliveira deal again, I think everyone agrees with you.

Aybar also wasn't like Markakis, because Aybar was an expiring contract and Markakis was signed to four seasons.

Bitch about Markakis deal all you want, but 1) he has earned the contract 2) he has been a clubhouse leader and 3) he's a major contributor to a contending baseball team in the last year of his deal.

It's worked about about exactly how the front office might have hoped despite all the naysaying and all the bitching and all the talk about how the fourth year would be a crusher.

I thought it was a somewhat pointless thing to complain about during the rebuild because it genuinely did not really matter. Complaining about it after it's been completely successful seems peculiar to me.
    Who is bitching about Markakis? I'm one of the few who doesn't break out in hives at the mention of his name. I'm just saying that the Markakis and Aybar deals are similar to the extent that the Braves believed they needed to put a legitimate major league player on the field in those positions at that time in the rebuild. It is similar to what the Twins' front office at the behest of Tom Kelly did up here in Minnesota when he insisted he wouldn't put a bunch of guys in the field who were learning on the job. That's all I am saying.

My gripe is that Coppolella did a few sideways moves that didn't jibe with the long-term rebuilding plan. I'm not that big a fan of Simmons (although I will admit he's an all-world defender), Peraza, or Alex Wood. I just think the deals that revolved around these pieces were sideways moves made with the intention of appearing to field a competitive team. Peraza was traded before Simmons, so he wasn't around to plug in at SS. That was the point I was trying to make there. Coppolella painted himself into a corner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Twins have fired Molitor as their manager....this means the Twins, Rangers, Reds, Angels, and O's are looking for new managers.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Twins have fired Molitor as their manager....this means the Twins, Rangers, Reds, Angels, and O's are looking for new managers.
    Falvey and Levine want someone better versed in modern baseball analytics.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-02-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    As they should.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    As they should.
    I don't think Molitor was that adverse to analytics, but he had Tom Kelly Disease in that he had this affinity for scrappy players with mid-ceilings.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-02-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    I don't think Molitor was that adverse to analytics, but he had Tom Kelly Disease in that he had this affinity for scrappy players with mid-ceilings.
    That grit though

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Interesting view from MinnPost, the alternative daily e-newspaper in Minnesota (staffed largely by folks who took early retirement packages when the StarTribune down-sized) on the Molitor firing.

Link: https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2018...7975-123346838

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I hear Fredi's not overly attached to his 3B Coach job.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Damn. Huge blow to the Cubs’ postseason roster.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

thewupk (10-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Are the A's doing a bullpen game? Pretty gutsy...hope it works out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts