Page 57 of 154 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3063

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-05-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know how to embed tweets, but Shannon Watts tweeted this: Just a reminder that Susan Collins called on Al Franken to resign without the so-called due process and presumption of innocence that she claimed to be defending today regarding Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know how to embed tweets, but Shannon Watts tweeted this: Just a reminder that Susan Collins called on Al Franken to resign without the so-called due process and presumption of innocence that she claimed to be defending today regarding Kavanaugh’s confirmation.
    I would imagine that if Kavanaugh had a photo of him doing what he was accused of doing then it would be safe to assume that he would have gotten the boot.
    thank you weso1!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    That's messed up logic. Seriously messed up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That's messed up logic. Seriously messed up.
    yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    It will be interesting to see what happens from here. I think one lesson is that people are going to push back on the excesses of the me too movement. The idea that all women or all "survivors" should be believed is absurd. Also, democrats clearly went hyper-partisan in a way the people felt was out of bounds and it bit them in the butt. If I was a democrat I would want to figure out where they went out of bounds and how to correct it. The me too thing is still a big movement and a huge winner for democrats, but they let the extremists have too much influence in this battle. I think they would have been better served by being more fair to the accused.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Also, democrats clearly went hyper-partisan in a way the people felt was out of bounds and it bit them in the butt. If I was a democrat I would want to figure out where they went out of bounds and how to correct it. .

Nate Silver
    ‏Verified account @NateSilver538
    1m1 minute ago

Nate Silver Retweeted Matthew Yglesias

An underrated story here is that all Democratic senators but Manchin will vote to oppose Kavanaugh,

despite a number of them being in very red states.

That suggests that Democrats are quite responsive to their base.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    It will be interesting to see what happens from here. I think one lesson is that people are going to push back on the excesses of the me too movement. The idea that all women or all "survivors" should be believed is absurd. Also, democrats clearly went hyper-partisan in a way the people felt was out of bounds and it bit them in the butt. If I was a democrat I would want to figure out where they went out of bounds and how to correct it. The me too thing is still a big movement and a huge winner for democrats, but they let the extremists have too much influence in this battle. I think they would have been better served by being more fair to the accused.
    I think one lesson the Republicans are going to learn on Nov. 6 is most women don't take kindly to the patronizing "I believe you, but you don't know what you're talking about. It wasn't him." Maybe they could have toned it down but it's simply ridiculous that the Democrats and activists were the main problem here. The senators that voted yes were always going to vote yes. The senators who voted no, minus Murkowski and maybe Heitkamp and Donnelly, were always going to vote no.

Furthermore, most of the media allowed the Republicans to completely butcher the meaning of the word corroboration and act like this was a thorough investigation. It was a joke and it will continue to be exposed as a joke in the days to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    If anything, the Democrats weren't hard enough on Kavanaugh in the hearing last week at least. They completely **** the bed and let him walk all over them. When it was going bad for Republicans, Lindsey Graham seized the moment and rallied them. They're a ruthless bunch of ****ers and ultimately it's why they win elections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Something odd that occurred to me today: Kavanaugh is probably the least right wing of the potential nominees that were considered as contenders. It's crazy to think this would have likely been easier with a hard right judge.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I would imagine that if Kavanaugh had a photo of him doing what he was accused of doing then it would be safe to assume that he would have gotten the boot.
    you mean the bad taste photo where he isn't actually touching anyone?

that photo?

or is there actually a photo of something happening that i somehow missed?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    If anything, the Democrats weren't hard enough on Kavanaugh in the hearing last week at least. They completely **** the bed and let him walk all over them. When it was going bad for Republicans, Lindsey Graham seized the moment and rallied them. They're a ruthless bunch of ****ers and ultimately it's why they win elections.
    The GOP bullied their way through this. It's hard to believe there is no one on the Republican side of the aisle with enough moxie to display some integrity. They showed bigger and more outrage and drew public opinion toward their side, regardless of the immorality behind it. I think they are also showing a total disregard for the public good and further weakening public trust in the government.

That this episode has energized the GOP base to rally more around Trump makes me sick to my stomach.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-06-2018), goldfly (10-06-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Something odd that occurred to me today: Kavanaugh is probably the least right wing of the potential nominees that were considered as contenders. It's crazy to think this would have likely been easier with a hard right judge.
    I think the GOP know what they're doing.

They're making an investment in Kav. I think if there was whatever of a chance there was of him being a surprise swing vote ala Kennedy it went down the drain last week. They help him weather this storm, they will reliably have him in their pocket for any future decisive tiebreak votes.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    That's a matter of degrees. He'll vote the base on all the hot-button issues, as would all of the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    You are saying that there are degrees to Left and Right. It seems more "black and white" to how they will vote than that.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    It's just hard to tolerate the GOP becoming the party of THIS IS AMERICA. DUE PROCESS when they let a man use the presidency as a political hunting tool. Oh, and LOCK HER UP.

I wonder if Susan Collins would give that speech about presumption of innocence in a court room with a poor person.

I also had to laugh out loud hard at her stunning hypocrisy on dark money. Bitch all you want, Susan. That dark money ain't going away anytime soon with this new court majority.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It's just hard to tolerate the GOP becoming the party of THIS IS AMERICA. DUE PROCESS when they let a man use the presidency as a political hunting tool. Oh, and LOCK HER UP.

I wonder if Susan Collins would give that speech about presumption of innocence in a court room with a poor person.

I also had to laugh out loud hard at her stunning hypocrisy on dark money. Bitch all you want, Susan. That dark money ain't going away anytime soon with this new court majority.
    Having been around a legislature (although it is at the state level) all my working life, I have seen the Collins "type" before. Plays hard to get, extracts a meaningless pledge for something or another, and then rolls. But, oh, for those moments when their intentions appear to be in doubt. All eyes are upon them.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Having been around a legislature (although it is at the state level) all my working life, I have seen the Collins "type" before. Plays hard to get, extracts a meaningless pledge for something or another, and then rolls. But, oh, for those moments when their intentions appear to be in doubt. All eyes are upon them.
    I'm not sure I buy Roe v. Wade being overturned, but if it is, what will that say about her legacy?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm not sure I buy Roe v. Wade being overturned, but if it is, what will that say about her legacy?
    I think Roe will stand, but it will be an empty shell. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of conservatives want Roe to remain in place in name if only simply to keep it as an issue to rally their base.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    As a footnote to all of this, I have been reading Jill Lepore's These Truths and I came across the section that described the fight over Louis Brandeis' nomination to the Supreme Court. It's again a reminder that the painting of the Court as being stacked one side over the other has gone on often in our country's history.