Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves to get Britton in free agency?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I like Viz, but would prefer him as a 7th or 8th inning guy. If we had him, Britton and Minter, that would be a pretty strong group to handle innings 7-9.
    And to pile on to Cy's multiple additions line of thinking, adding two non-elite guys who have been elite for stretches that could come relatively cheaply would really help - ride the hot ones when they're hot, and don't overuse anyone in a particular role. For argument's sake, maybe you try to add Herrera AND Holland on 1-year/$5 million make-good deals? I know I'll take some ridicule for continually pushing Greg, but he finished out strong once he got to Washington - 21.1 IP, 2 ER, 25/10 K/BB, 1 HR.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be those two in particular with several guys available out there with plenty of back-end experience, but adding two of them would give you 4 guys that have proven capable of handling the job (along with Viz and A. J.) to keep from having to put it all on one guy.

Pretty torn about which way I'd go here since I've always been a big fan of having defined pen roles, but I could probably go either way if AA was able to make a couple of relative bargain signings.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    These are the releivers I like via trade for various reasons

Mychal Givens
    Cory Knebel
    Raisel Iglesias
    Adam Conley
    Amir Garrett

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It may not be Britton, but at least one of the elite names that are currently available (whether considered elite Closers or not) should come at a fairly discounted rate - there are just too many names out there, especially when you consider how many teams will be tanking...

Kimbrel
    Britton
    Allen
    Doolittle
    Familia
    Herrera
    Holland
    Miller
    Ottavino
    Robertson
    Rondon
    Soria

If Doolittle could be had for the same money or less as Britton, it'd sure be nice to have him closing some games out against the Gnats.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-11-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves have a million arms in the system. Let's hope they don't have to spend a significant portion of their available $40M on even more BP arms when there are gaping holes in the OF, C, and bench.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Back to Britton though, wasn't some credit about having Gausman as a target over Archer as well as some of the improvements after he got here given to some of the folks now in our organization that were with him in Baltimore some time back? Maybe that's part of the interest with Britton as well - those folks were there when he was at his most dominant and think they can get him back there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves have a million arms in the system. Let's hope they don't have to spend a significant portion of their available $40M on even more BP arms when there are gaping holes in the OF, C, and bench.
    Brantley/pollack, Wilson Ramos, asdrubal Cabrera, Sergio romo, and familia. Is this financially feasible and does it make us a contender?

ETA... I am stuck on romo for some reason like coppy was on olivera. Romo wasn't near as good this season as I thought. I watched him probably 6-7 times this year, and he looked great. Guess I just saw the good times haha
    Last edited by msstate7; 10-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Brantley/pollack, Wilson Ramos, asdrubal Cabrera, Sergio romo, and familia. Is this financially feasible and does it make us a contender?
    The Braves are a contender if they simply bring back Zuk and Markakis.

I'd like to see Grandal be the #1 target, then get the best cOF possible with the bulk of the resources that are left. Spending the last of the available cash on a high quality bench guy like Asdrubel or a legit 4th OFer (or both) would be the final step(s).

Any money spent on the BP is a waste, in my opinion, much less buying 2 expensive BP arms. I think we'll see the opening day rotation be Folty, Gaus, Newk, Teheran and a young guy like Touki, with other young guys pushing Newk to the BP by mid-season (if he isn't traded). Fried is likely already in the BP going forward.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves are a contender if they simply bring back Zuk and Markakis.

I'd like to see Grandal be the #1 target, then get the best cOF possible with the bulk of the resources that are left. Spending the last of the available cash on a high quality bench guy like Asdrubel or a legit 4th OFer (or both) would be the final step(s).

Any money spent on the BP is a waste, in my opinion, much less buying 2 expensive BP arms. I think we'll see the opening day rotation be Folty, Gaus, Newk, Teheran and a young guy like Touki, with other young guys pushing Newk to the BP by mid-season (if he isn't traded). Fried is likely already in the BP going forward.
    I believe you have it backwards. They need to get a run producing bat that can position in the middle of the line-up, someone to be a 3,4 or 5 (depending on where they hit Acuna). That almost HAS to be a cOF since Grandal is a catcher and is more of a 6 or 7. He doesn't really fit that roster construction need and therefore, IMO, shouldn't be target #1. I know his oWAR is pretty good and a argument can be made that that is all that matters, not where he would theoretically hit in a line-up. However, I think the traditions of baseball still prevail, even on stats driven teams and we would see Grandal either hitting 6 or 7 because he's a catcher with limited speed or hitting 4th behind Freeman because they have no one better and would be bitching about it.

I'm ok with him being target #2 AFTER #1 is filled and if there is money left over. I think adding Grandal will likely leave a big hole right in the middle of the line-up similar to Muk's second half and would rather see that addressed first with Grandal being the second task. Hopefully they can do both.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I believe you have it backwards. They need to get a run producing bat that can position in the middle of the line-up, someone to be a 3,4 or 5 (depending on where they hit Acuna). That almost HAS to be a cOF since Grandal is a catcher and is more of a 6 or 7. He doesn't really fit that roster construction need and therefore, IMO, shouldn't be target #1. I know his oWAR is pretty good and a argument can be made that that is all that matters, not where he would theoretically hit in a line-up. However, I think the traditions of baseball still prevail, even on stats driven teams and we would see Grandal either hitting 6 or 7 because he's a catcher with limited speed or hitting 4th behind Freeman because they have no one better and would be bitching about it.

I'm ok with him being target #2 AFTER #1 is filled and if there is money left over. I think adding Grandal will likely leave a big hole right in the middle of the line-up similar to Muk's second half and would rather see that addressed first with Grandal being the second task. Hopefully they can do both.
    I can buy the argument that cOF should be priority #1 with C being #2. I personally prefer Grandal because I think the young pitching would benefit from throwing to a pair of elite pitch framers.

As long as they don't spend 25% of their available money on BP arms at the expense of lesser options for cOF/C/Bench I'll be able to accept the logic.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-11-2018), Horsehide Harry (10-11-2018), jgriff3029 (10-11-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Britton coming off missing 75% of the last season? Never change guys.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    This offseason sets up easy for AA to me. Replace Markakis with a mild upgrade. Once we have done that we can get by, but better yet, also replace Zuk with a mild upgrade.

It would be nice to push Viz and Minter down to the 7th and 8th, but I think we'll have a good shot that one of our prospects (Weigel, Wright, Wilson just to pick from the W's) could close by late next year. Gohara could do it also, but I still think he'll be in the middle of the rotation.

Use that closer money to pick up a 4th outfilelder (Duvall is gone IMO).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We need to do more than mild upgrade over Markakis. We have the money and resources to make it happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    This offseason sets up easy for AA to me. Replace Markakis with a mild upgrade. Once we have done that we can get by, but better yet, also replace Zuk with a mild upgrade.
    who's the mild upgrade and what are we giving up for him
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    who's the mild upgrade and what are we giving up for him
    Peralta seems the most logical candidate at this point and I would imagine Arizona would want a young pitcher or two.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Peralta seems the most logical candidate at this point and I would imagine Arizona would want a young pitcher or two.
    yeah, i agree, i just don't think it's easy. peralta would be great, but the package may be more severe than we thing. maybe not.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah, i agree, i just don't think it's easy. peralta would be great, but the package may be more severe than we thing. maybe not.
    it's not even clear what direction Arizona is going this offseason...there are a lot of possibilities for the outfield...I think the most likely are Peralta or the return of Muk
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Adding Peralta, Grandal, Asdrubal, and another bullpen arm would make us pretty dangerous and is actually realistic.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    it's not even clear what direction Arizona is going this offseason...there are a lot of possibilities for the outfield...I think the most likely are Peralta or the return of Muk
    If Markakis is back in RF next year then AA failed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Markakis is back in RF next year then AA failed.
    agreed. there are plenty of options. we need to get one of them.
    this would be extra bad because we know markakis would bat 4th as well.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think they need some help in the bullpen, but I also think there will be plenty of options out there that won't break the bank. Two more quality hitters is really what the team needs and a corner OF is the place to start. I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson is pursued, but I'm down with that provided he comes at a very reasonable price. It would be great to see an upgrade a catcher as well.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-12-2018), jpx7 (10-12-2018)