Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dansby being sent down to AAA

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Dansby is the excuse the FO will use to let the 40 year employe Snit go. Snit is to old the work with young players
    He was always a one year place holder to me. This was a "thank you" hiring, and they will keep him in the front office somewhere. Snit is a good guy, I would rather have someone else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    during that same stretch.. Kemp hit .143/.217/.167 with putrid defense. Did he get benched?
    You changed the subject on me.

I would be perfectly fine with Kemp sitting regularly. I think that would be a great idea. Markakis too.

Brandon Phillips is hitting .250 in July with a 9% K rate and a lower than usual BABIP. No real indication that he's going through much more than a period of bad fortune. I have no objection to his getting regular rest either, but you could hardly make a case for sending him to the minors.

Dansby's problem is that he was terrible in April and May and was terrible in the games immediately preceding his "benching." And terrible after it.

He is a young player who could be sent down. I don't have a problem with it at all.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    I had no problem with sending Dansby down. It should have been done sooner.. my problem is benching him for 'struggling' and not being consistent... They should have sent him down when Johan started to get hot. just let him know they want him to work on things and he will be back up soon. but instead they let him play 1 out of every 3 games and then sent him down arbitrarily last night. I mean, why last night. Who is killing it that needs to come up.. It doesn't make any sense..
    Coppy

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Swanson in June...
    .306/.355/.418
    7.5% bb
    16.8 k
    .354 BABIP

He then got benched a few PAs into July
    You can spin it that way if you want, but he ended June badly and started July the same way. Further, he was having bad ABs and making poor contact. That's borne out in the decline of his exit velocity numbers. Let's not brightside it: he's been one of the worst position players in baseball this year.

I think it's likely is that Dansby is going to be what he is going to be regardless of the organization's mishandling of him. I also seriously doubt that he's an attitude problem. The original sin here was promoting him and installing him as the starting shortstop when he hadn't had enough pro ABs.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    You can spin it that way if you want, but he ended June badly and started July the same way. Further, he was having bad ABs and making poor contact. That's borne out in the decline of his exit velocity numbers. Let's not brightside it: he's been one of the worst position players in baseball this year.

I think it's likely is that Dansby is going to be what he is going to be regardless of the organization's mishandling of him. I also seriously doubt that he's an attitude problem. The original sin here was promoting him and installing him as the starting shortstop when he hadn't had enough pro ABs.
    Yup. Had his performance warranted it he should of been promoted at some point this season. But his promotion wasn't a purely baseball decision.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I had no problem with sending Dansby down. It should have been done sooner.. my problem is benching him for 'struggling' and not being consistent... They should have sent him down when Johan started to get hot. just let him know they want him to work on things and he will be back up soon. but instead they let him play 1 out of every 3 games and then sent him down arbitrarily last night. I mean, why last night. Who is killing it that needs to come up.. It doesn't make any sense..
    I just can't fault the front office for sitting a guy that was one of the worst position players in baseball at the plate.

you don't just get to start every game forever because the Braves wanted you to succeed and sell tickets. Sending him down is the right move I think. He needs to work on something or get shaken into taking a better approach - something. It ain't happening for him in the majors and the Braves are right to look at other assets to see what they have.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    And his play warranted a demotion.. but that didn't happen right either. I still see no reason to demote him now 3 weeks after he should have. What about yesterday's game screamed... hey lets send Dans down..
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I just can't fault the front office for sitting a guy that was one of the worst position players in baseball at the plate.

you don't just get to start every game forever because the Braves wanted you to succeed and sell tickets. Sending him down is the right move I think. He needs to work on something or get shaken into taking a better approach - something. It ain't happening for him in the majors and the Braves are right to look at other assets to see what they have.
    Correct.. then send him down July 5th.. June 1st.. May 22nd.. Why yesterday after a 2-4 day in one of his few starts.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Preacher (07-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Between June 24 and July 7 he started 11 of 12 games and went 6/40 (.146) with a 35% K rate and a 7% walk rate. wRC+ of 22.
    Great. And in the 10 games prior to that stretch, he was 13/41 (.317) with an 11% K rate and a 7% walk rate. I don't know what good it does to pick out any single stretch of games. He was horrific in April and we let him play through that. Then he was much, much better (still not super great, obviously, I get that) through May and June, but because he had a rough stretch for a week and a half, we decided to start sitting him?

It just doesn't make any sense. His year was trending upward. There will always be stretches of poor play and stretches of much better play. But his overall year was still trending very much upward. From an OPS of .433 at the end of April to .635 at the time we started sitting him. Why all the sudden make that decision?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Ok fellas...pretty simple. If Dansby has been "wrongly" benched...he will go to AAA and kill it. Even Danny Santana did that. He will force their hand, and they will bring him back up. I promise you, they want their poster boy back as soon as possible. He has to EARN it this time. Crap...he wasn't even doing that great in AA when he was promoted. If he is this great player just on the verge of tearing out...he should destroy AAA. If he doesn't...he is right where he needs to be. It's pretty simple.
    I get this, and that's fine, though at this point if you send him down, just leave him down the rest of the year.

I'm not arguing this was some disastrous move that will forever change his career trajectory. But I don't like having a manager who can't see the forest for the trees.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Great. And in the 10 games prior to that stretch, he was 13/41 (.317) with an 11% K rate and a 7% walk rate. I don't know what good it does to pick out any single stretch of games. He was horrific in April and we let him play through that. Then he was much, much better (still not super great, obviously, I get that) through May and June, but because he had a rough stretch for a week and a half, we decided to start sitting him?

It just doesn't make any sense. His year was trending upward. There will always be stretches of poor play and stretches of much better play. But his overall year was still trending very much upward. From an OPS of .433 at the end of April to .635 at the time we started sitting him. Why all the sudden make that decision?
    It makes perfect sense...

Snit, like all stone aged managers, thinks he can identify the hot hand. They thought they were contenders this year, so Snit was trying to win games by starting the hot hand, Camargo.

Now they have finally conceded this season, and made the choice to send Swanson back down.

They aren't exactly doing anything according to a long term plan. The plan was always "win in 2017". It was not lip service.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Lol. Kid goes 2-4 today and he gets rewarded with this. Havent been a fan of his this year with his play but he deserves better than this foolishness.
    Gotta figure the decision had already been made before yesterday. Probably the same with having Blair start yesterday - his schedule matched up the closest with Garcia's, so they flew him out to Los Angeles. With the day off tomorrow, kinda have to figure Bowman's right about seeing Sims in the spot next week.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It makes perfect sense...

Snit, like all stone aged managers, thinks he can identify the hot hand. They thought they were contenders this year, so Snit was trying to win games by starting the hot hand, Camargo.

Now they have finally conceded this season, and made the choice to send Swanson back down.

They aren't exactly doing anything according to a long term plan. The plan was always "win in 2017". It was not lip service.
    Eh, I agree with the first part, I just don't like it.

I don't agree that they've been fully behind a 'win in 2017' model the entire time. Name the prospects we've sold. Name the big moves we've made. HO and Kemp were mistakes, but where are all these moves designed to put a competitive team on the field in 2017?

I feel like you created a reality in your head that you didn't like, then continue to criticize them under that same reality, even if it isn't true. You said it was dumb to try to compete by 2017, so you killed them for saying that. Then, when they clearly didn't put a team on the field ready to contend in 2017, you said the FO wants to contend, they just don't know how to put an MLB team together. Or they just didn't actually think it was wise to throw assets into trying to contend in 2017, yet you continue to act as though that was their goal?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

No he was horrible in May too. He just wasn't as horrible as he was in April.

the "benching" that he got in July after an extended period of futility running over from May still let him get the large majority of the at bats and he was still horrible.

He doesn't deserve to be in the Majors and they gave him several miles of rope to prove otherwise, but he utterly failed to do it.

It's not the end of the world.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    No he was horrible in May too. He just wasn't as horrible as he was in April.

the "benching" that he got in July after an extended period of futility running over from May still let him get the large majority of the at bats and he was still horrible.

He doesn't deserve to be in the Majors and they gave him several miles of rope to prove otherwise, but he utterly failed to do it.

It's not the end of the world.
    He was below-average in May. He wasn't horrible.

Of course it isn't the end of the world.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    He was below-average in May. He wasn't horrible.

Of course it isn't the end of the world.
    I'm not sure where the line between horrible and below average is. He hit .216, struck out 25% of the time and had a wRC+ of 73. That's honestly probably about right for him about now. April was unlucky, June was lucky. May was pretty much who he probably is.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,713 Posts
    Wonder what happens if camargo falls into a big slump now the next few weeks. Do they bring Swanson right back up?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Wonder what happens if camargo falls into a big slump now the next few weeks. Do they bring Swanson right back up?
    Is Jace still on the team somewhere? He deserves another chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is Jace still on the team somewhere? He deserves another chance.
    The FO making Jace play SS for an extended period would be a way to guarantee snitker leaves after this season. We'd suck big time

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    The FO making Jace play SS for an extended period would be a way to guarantee snitker leaves after this season. We'd suck big time
    So then we want Jace at SS.. right..
    Coppy