Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade ideas

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

Trade ideas

It's time to deal Vizcaino. Great closer probably, but we've got Simmons coming back and hey, Bud Norris throws 97 for one inning. Anyway, I think teams who can compete and don't have a good one are a place to go to get an overpay. And we need power and need to fill holes at catcher and eventually one outfield slot in the worst way.

My suggestion: to the Mariners for Tyler O'Neill and Mike Zunino. O'Neill is pre-hype (he'll be on mid season prospect lists - 32 dingers last year and vastly improved contact this year while moving up a level) and Zunino post (rushed by Jack Z, has his confidence and stroke back), both are ISOing nearly .300 at AA and AAA, respectively. The Mariners are looking at a special season but lack of a dominant closer (Cishek) threatens to spoil it for them.

It leaves their Jacksons intact but would really help us, and for them it might mean the pennant.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Texas seems like a natural fit. They need pen help and are loaded with position prospects. Though that doesn't seem like our thing.

Zunino sucks. No thanks there

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    My question is, who we can go to to find some high-upside arms?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-23-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I agree. Viz is a commodity not needed for our team. Trade him while his value is high before

a) he flames out
    b) gets hurt
    c) gets busted for PED's again

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Chico (05-23-2016), Dalyn (05-22-2016), Hawk (05-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    If we happen to pull trigger on viz soon, should we then use Norris as closer in hopes we can flip him too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    All depends on the value we get back. I would want to "win" a trade for Viz in the same way I would want to win one involving Freeman, Teheran or Inciarte. I would value Viz as having a "surplus value" (wins minus cost of wins) of about 3 over the the remaining years of contractual control. If another team offered a package with a surplus value of around 6 I would take it. A prospect ranked in the 51-75 range on Top 100 lists has an expected surplus value of 5-6 wins. So that is the sort of return I'd be looking for.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-22-2016 at 10:32 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Texas seems like a natural fit. They need pen help and are loaded with position prospects. Though that doesn't seem like our thing.

Been discussing this with a friend who is a big Rangers fan. He and I both seemed to agree that a Vizcaino for Gallo trade would work well for both sides.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'd package viz and Teheran to get a hella package. The Astros need a starter and their closers have not been too good this year.
    Get off my lawn!

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post

Take another look. He got rushed and Zduriencik almost wrecked him. He's raking at Tacoma and has all those framing, handling , throwing skills you need. K% last year was 34%....this year 18%. SLG .600 at Tacoma.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-22-2016), Hawk (05-23-2016), JohnAdcox (05-22-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Been discussing this with a friend who is a big Rangers fan. He and I both seemed to agree that a Vizcaino for Gallo trade would work well for both sides.
    that scares me less than Gallo for JT.. but for what good closers get on the market. Not sure I pull the trigger. I am just not ready to swap my closer for a 30% in minors and 50% in MLB K rate. is 35 Homers worth 250 Ks?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    that scares me less than Gallo for JT.. but for what good closers get on the market. Not sure I pull the trigger. I am just not ready to swap my closer for a 30% in minors and 50% in MLB K rate. is 35 Homers worth 250 Ks?
    For a 3B for this team? I'd say yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Gallo was #3 on BA's mid-season Top 50 list last summer. I don't think his value has changed much since. A player ranked that high has an expected surplus value of 9-10 wins. Viz for Gallo would be an incredibly good deal for the Braves. We would have to add some (and should) if we had the opportunity to make this kind of trade.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Gallo was #3 on BA's mid-season Top 50 list last summer. I don't think his value has changed much since. A player ranked that high has an expected surplus value of 9-10 wins. Viz for Gallo would be an incredibly good deal for the Braves. We would have to add some (and should) if we had the opportunity to make this kind of trade.
    I don't really keep up with the Rangers much, but the guy I discussed this with follows them closely - he lives in Arlington, and Steve Buechele is/was his next door neighbor. This guy (not Buechele) says the Rangers are kind of souring on Gallo due to the Ks.

To me a closer is replaceable enough to justify taking a risk on a guy with Gallo's power - particularly at a position of need like 3B. If he turns out to be Mike Hessman 2.0, screw it, you tried. Throw Ruiz into the deal as well if that's what it takes. I'm not sold on him in spite of the hot start.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    All depends on the value we get back. I would want to "win" a trade for Viz in the same way I would want to win one involving Freeman, Teheran or Inciarte. I would value Viz as having a "surplus value" (wins minus cost of wins) of about 3 over the the remaining years of contractual control. If another team offered a package with a surplus value of around 6 I would take it. A prospect ranked in the 51-75 range on Top 100 lists has an expected surplus value of 5-6 wins. So that is the sort of return I'd be looking for.
    I completely disagree, not about winning the trade, rather about what the Braves should be looking for in return. Guys like Teheran, Freeman, Viz and possibly Inciarte are good and young enough to play major roles on the next good Braves team in either 2017 or 2018. Those guys should be retained until they have 1-2 years of control remaining, at which point they should be traded for new prospects.

I don't think the return for Viz alone would move the needle enough to justify giving up a veteran closer for the 2017 and later seasons.

However, a package of Viz plus a guy like Infiarte might bring back a prospect with potential impact prospect. That would be worth pulling the trigger on a trade.

It is my opinion that the Braves should be done acquiring assets in bulk, and should be targeting impact players. Even if that means packaging pieces together to get that one good piece in return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Throw Ruiz into the deal as well if that's what it takes. I'm not sold on him in spite of the hot start.
    I'm not sure you've seen him recently haha. His OPS is down to .707.

And his BABIP is still at .367, so it's likely to continue dropping further.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we happen to pull trigger on viz soon, should we then use Norris as closer in hopes we can flip him too?
    Probably.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I think we are in the stages of building up now not tearing down so we should be looking to trade guys like Markakis and not Teheran and Vizcaino. I would have to be blown away to trade them.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2016), Knucksie (05-22-2016)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I think the rebuild is past the point of measuring trades by surplus value. This team, with the expected additions coming this year and next has some specific needs, and we know what they are.

We should now be looking to fill those needs with really good young players, not just swapping value for a little more value. That is where we were, and we will be back there once the team turns the competitiveness corner, but for right now we need to be targeting the players in trades to fill our known holes.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I've been vocal about trading anyone with value for more future value BUT I think it may be hard to get great value out of Viz because there are a number of clubs that have better options who look like they will be sellers, if not soon, then by the deadline.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Definitely agree we should be looking to move Viz. Would love to turn him into a few pieces
    Last edited by emk418; 05-22-2016 at 03:14 PM.