Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The AFL is an extreme hitters league. The pitching stats are actually not bad considering. The four guys we have pitching there all have very good arms. Mostly they need to refine control and their second and third pitches.
    You once mentioned NOrthcraft as the guy who is the top of our AA and above level arms. I think you may have hit that one on the head.
    Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (10-31-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Cornely could be in our pen real soon and most likely will see time next year. I doubt he's ready by opening day but by mid season and definitely in September the guy should be in Atlanta. He must have some pretty good stuff as he's k'd quite a bit per inning in his couple years in the minors. He's a guy that isn't getting any pub but one that is close to being ready. We seem to have a few internal options and McDowell sure knows how to teach these guys when they get here.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Two more hits today for La Stella. Now hitting .302 with an OBP of .443
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Good to see him get back on track.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    s

Kubitza has first AFL homer, Hefflinger gets triple. Simmons strikes out the side in his inning, Cornely had two whiffs in his inning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Tonight and the next two nights, MLB Network will be showing Scottsdale games from the AFL, so we'll have a chance to see the Braves prospects in action.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo8m
    Tommy LaStella was a '11 8th rounder out of Coastal Carolina by Atlanta. Now, with a .550 OBP/g 690 slug in AFL. Now? Matt Carpenter comps

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    PHOENIX—Tommy La Stella may be the best “under the radar” player among the current bevy of Arizona Fall League prospects.

The Scottsdale Scorpions second baseman is batting .364/.523/.636 at the midpoint of the season, ranking second in the league in both on-base average and OPS. Moreover, La Stella has yet to strike out in over 40 plate appearances while drawing 11 walks. His AFL performance comes after a strong year in which he batted a combined .346/.444/.492, mostly at the Double-A level in a season interrupted twice by nagging injuries.
    Tommy-LaStella-2013-bm-300x211.jpg

Tommy La Stella (Photo by Bill Mitchell)

It’s not surprising that the lefthanded hitting La Stella, 24, isn’t yet a household name. The New Jersey native went undrafted after high school and played sparingly at St. John’s as a freshman before transferring to Coastal Carolina for two solid seasons. The Braves then drafted La Stella in the eighth round of the 2011 draft, assigning him to low Class A Rome to start his pro career.

La Stella is attracting attention in the AFL for his gritty play, gamer attitude and excellent approach at the plate. While scouts see his overall tool set as being somewhat limited, he’s regarded as having a “high floor” with the chance to be a regular second baseman in the big leagues.

That chance could come as soon as 2014 after his AFL turn, as the Braves search for answers at second after a rough season by Dan Uggla, who posted a .671 OPS in 2013 but is signed through 2015.

“He might be that guy that gets to the major leagues,” said one veteran scout covering the AFL, “and everyone says, ‘Where did that guy come from?’”

Scorpions hitting coach John Moses, who had La Stella for the early part of the 2013 season with the Braves’ high Class A Lynchburg affiliate, feels strongly that the 5-foot-11, 185-pound infielder can be a starter in the big leagues.

“He’s not a utility guy for me,” Moses said. “He’s going to be a second baseman—a starter,” he said. Moses went on to add that La Stella could slot into the number two spot in a batting order or, with his knack for getting on base, even bat in the leadoff position.

La Stella stands out for his approach at the plate, drawing more walks than strikeouts in his three-year minor league career. But he doesn’t let the extraordinary plate discipline keep him from going after good pitches. It’s a lesson he learned at an early age.

“When I was growing up my father was big on two strikes—shorten up, put the ball in play,” La Stella said. “That was something that was ingrained in me since the time I was a little kid . . . I’m not necessarily going to take away an aggressive swing if I get a pitch to hit, but at the same time I’m a little more focused. If it’s close to the zone I get the bat on it.”

Moses agrees that that La Stella’s solid approach is something that comes natural to him.

“It’s an ability. It takes guys really a long period of time to be able to acquire that, but he just has it,” Moses said. “It’s built-in. He’s very confident at the plate, he’s confident with two strikes, he puts the ball in play, and he just does pretty much everything you could ask of a guy.”

That self-confidence is what La Stella acknowledges as the most important lesson he’s learned from the Braves organization.

“It’s huge for any ballplayer to be confident at the plate and in the field,” La Stella said, “and the Braves have always been big on that with me, instilling confidence in me so that I can go out and do the job. Believing in myself is the most important thing.”

La Stella has also continuously made adjustments as he’s progressed through the farm system, seeing better quality pitching at each level.

“One of the biggest things for me was refining my approach,” La Stella said, “and coming up with something I’m confident in. Going into every game I can go back to when things weren’t going well, and I can always revert back to my approach, something I really honed in on.

“It’s still a work in progress. You never really stop learning in this game.”

But enough about La Stella’s offense. He’s been sent to Arizona to also work on his defense, the area of his game needing the most improvement, with scouts grading him as a below-average or fringy defender at the keystone. In addition, he’s still building strength in his elbow after some early season inflammation.

While it’s obvious that hitting is La Stella’s passion, he knows what’s needed to improve his glovework.

“My double play turns could be a little crisper,” La Stella said. “The ground balls, the range—everything. The arm strength on the double play turns—everything could be a little bit sharper and a little more crisp. It’s just something I need to work on while I’m out here and then again obviously in the offseason.”

http://www.baseballa...l88eZu6V5OByDvJ

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    feature story ($) on #Braves 2B prospect Tommy La Stella: "I'm knocking on the door. I want to kick it down." http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...r2013_ajcstub2

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Is there some way we can mold La Stella in the AFL into not being a humble professional loser, so when the playoffs comes he doesn't choke? Worked for Chris Johnson.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/ml...prospects?pg=1

"Almost Ready AFL Prospects"

Tommy LaStella
    The Braves famously left veteran Dan Uggla off the postseason roster and have been linked to any available second baseman in trade talks. With $26 million left on his contract, it's kind of hard to believe they won't bring him to Spring Training if they can't trade him. But it's also easy to see that they'll probably have a better backup plan than Elliot Johnson this time around. Enter LaStella. By walking a ton, not striking out, and showing good power in Arizona, he's climbed to the top of statistical leader boards. And, since he played Double-A last year, and walked a ton and didn't strike out much -- and showed some pop -- these things are relevant. Expect him to challenge for the major league starting job from day one, especially with this showing. And he could be a five-category producer at second, even if the power isn't major league average right out of the gate.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think people better get used to the idea that TLS is going to be the Braves every day second baseman next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-07-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think people better get used to the idea that TLS is going to be the Braves every day second baseman next year.
    I can live with that

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I SO hope you are right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/ml...prospects?pg=1

"Almost Ready AFL Prospects"

Tommy LaStella
    The Braves famously left veteran Dan Uggla off the postseason roster and have been linked to any available second baseman in trade talks. With $26 million left on his contract, it's kind of hard to believe they won't bring him to Spring Training if they can't trade him. But it's also easy to see that they'll probably have a better backup plan than Elliot Johnson this time around. Enter LaStella. By walking a ton, not striking out, and showing good power in Arizona, he's climbed to the top of statistical leader boards. And, since he played Double-A last year, and walked a ton and didn't strike out much -- and showed some pop -- these things are relevant. Expect him to challenge for the major league starting job from day one, especially with this showing. And he could be a five-category producer at second, even if the power isn't major league average right out of the gate.
    Unfortunately I was told the Braves don't believe he is the answer in 2014, so this is all not worth talking about.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Unfortunately I was told the Braves don't believe he is the answer in 2014, so this is all not worth talking about.
    And who told you this, the tooth fairy?

Kidding but anyone credible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    And who told you this, the tooth fairy?

Kidding but anyone credible?
    someone on the board, i'm being sarcastic.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Shae Simmons looked great tonight! He has 2 big league pitches. When you can crank it up to 97 at the knees with movement and pair that with a 82 mph wicked slider that the recipe for another dominant reliever.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-08-2013), thethe (11-08-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Good write-up on Tommy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/atl/...&vkey=news_atl

Through 16 games, 70 plate appearances, his slash line is .304/.443/.482/.925 with 14 walks to only 4 strike outs. He just continues to impress. Watched him play last night and he looked very solid at 2nd, nothing flashy, maybe not optimal range, but made all the plays to include a very good scoop on a tough grounder. You can tell when watching him hit that he really knows the strike zone. He simply doesn't swing at balls outside the strike zone. He has incredible plate awareness.
    Last edited by skillet; 11-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Teheran_49 (11-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Even though La Stella got off to the hot start and got all the publicity, Kubitza has ended up also having an impressive AFL season.

Kubitza's slash lines: .305/.431/.888

La Stella: .290/.436/.904

Kubitza is a year and a half younger and is also considered to be a better defender at his position. Also has more defensive versatility as someone who can play first and corner outfield in addition to his usual third base.