Thread: GDT: 8/9/'14, Braves (Harang) vs. Nationals, 7:10 EST Bonny playing SS-

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I said 2 nights ago I wasn't expecting a huge game from BJ.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    This is why I honestly don't care about the Braves. We're in August, where you see by now that usually a player is close to showing his true value because you have 4 full months of play under the team's belt. This is the OBP of our lineup.

Simmons .297

If you don't see the problem you're blind. We have a SVOD hitting ahead of guys who actually get on base. It's the easiest problem to solve. I refuse to care about a team who doesn't care about winning. Even ****ty teams in last place care about winning, sure it's more of a long term thing but they care about developing players so they don't suck down the line. We're doing neither here. We're babying our highest paid player which is the kind fo **** that losers do. I'd bat BJ 9th. Cause he hasn't shown he deserves to hit any higher than that.

Regardless of where you put BJ in the bottom of the linuep. Our lineup has 5 good to great hitters, they should be hitting 1-5 the 3 guys who aren't pulling their weight should hit in 6-9 range with CJ leading the bunch as he's been the only one of the group to show any life.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-10-2014), BremanFan88 (08-10-2014), Dalyn (08-10-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    This is why I honestly don't care about the Braves. We're in August, where you see by now that usually a player is close to showing his true value because you have 4 full months of play under the team's belt. This is the OBP of our lineup.

Simmons .297

If you don't see the problem you're blind. We have a SVOD hitting ahead of guys who actually get on base. It's the easiest problem to solve. I refuse to care about a team who doesn't care about winning. Even ****ty teams in last place care about winning, sure it's more of a long term thing but they care about developing players so they don't suck down the line. We're doing neither here. We're babying our highest paid player which is the kind fo **** that losers do. I'd bat BJ 9th. Cause he hasn't shown he deserves to hit any higher than that.

Regardless of where you put BJ in the bottom of the linuep. Our lineup has 5 good to great hitters, they should be hitting 1-5 the 3 guys who aren't pulling their weight should hit in 6-9 range with CJ leading the bunch as he's been the only one of the group to show any life.
    Fredi doesn't care and if he did care about winning he would make the necessary adjustments. I just wish upper management would notice this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    At this rate we will be lucky to finish third in the division. Mets are coming hard and have the horses to reel off a lot of wins.

Sad what this years Braves have become.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    At this rate we will be lucky to finish third in the division. Mets are coming hard and have the horses to reel off a lot of wins.

Sad what this years Braves have become.
    But lineup construction doesn't matter

I'm not sure if this is updated, but fWAR in the NL has the Braves 3rd in the NL behind the Nats and the Dodgers (though by a good amount with both of them. But we're currently behind teams we should be ahead of like the Cardinals, Giants, and Pirates. That's a failure from management. Our pitching and our defense should be enough to win but it isn't. So heads should be rolling if we fail to make the playoffs this year because it isn't a matter of the players output but of results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    As a life long Braves fan it kills me to say this, but I hope the Braves go into a tailspin and end up 3rd or 4th place. IF, that means there will be major changes this offseason. New manager, hitting coach and get rid of BJ at all costs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gtcway For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Not sure how anybody can reasonably defend the decision to bat BJ leadoff. Its appalling that our manager continues to think its a good idea.
    Natural Immunity Croc

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-10-2014), Braves1976 (08-10-2014), Dalyn (08-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    https://t.co/EVU1agvVgx

Subtle, yet with douchy undertones

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Lol welcome to the real side people.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I don't like how BJ Upton was whining about the game start time after the game. Hey, BJ, hate to break it to you, but a 7:05 start time isn't going to keep you from sucking.

Besides, I thought BJ liked to get wet.
    I've never seen a worse player that whines so much. BJ is what is wrong with this club. The guy sucks and has the worst attitude in the world. With this guys ego you would think he was all world but instead he is terrible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (08-10-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    https://t.co/EVU1agvVgx

Subtle, yet with douchy undertones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Simmons .297

Great post. I couldn't agree more.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Great post. I couldn't agree more.
    Unfortunately our moron manager in charge doesn't care as long as his lover BJ giving BJ's all that matter. We beat Strasturd because he is our bitch, not because of our lineup, just because he is our bitch. If we lose tonight and then drop below .500 he needs to go.

He doesn't have many defenders left and if they still defend him, why? We are a results base club. If you want the mid to late 70's early 80's version of Braves, you got your coach.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-10-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
    From Dave O'Brien & Mark Bowman:

Asked why he used Russell solely against a LHH despite the splits, Fredi said, "That's why we got him."

#Braves Fredi G on using Russell to face Harper: “That's what we got him for. The situation to get one left-hander out, to get Harper out.."

Ok, after a long while, I'm jumping on the bandwagon to fire Fredi. That's managerial incompetence on display - based on those quotes. And the offense still sucks hard.
    OK. For a minute let's assume that the lefty/righty matchup is the be all and end all, as Fredi implies here. Why not bring in Russell to face LaRoche, who actually has a significant drop in production when facing left handed pitching, instead of leaving Carpenter in the game to spontaneously combust as usual? Regardless of situation or platoon splits, LaRoche is a much greater threat right now than Harper. Had we put in Russell to face LaRoche, even if he'd still walked the batter we would have known one batter sooner that he didn't have it.

Carpenter should never pitch in high leverage situations. Sure he throws hard, but every batter currently in the league with the exception of our lead off man can murder a straight as an arrow fastball. And Varvaro is finally returning to his normal unreliable self, probably in large part because of overuse.

This team has too many flaws to fix by the end of this year, and likely by next year as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Nine hits resulting in one run. Ten more left on base. Nice job, offense.

I usually don't call for coaches to be fired, but Greg Walker has got to go.
    Remember when Chipper helped BJ earlier in the year and he was starting to actually produce? Chipper got more out of Melvin after a day of working with him than Walker has in nearly two years. That tells you all that you need to know about Walker.
    Last edited by Garmel; 08-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Is it possible that this team has just quit? They see the same incompetent decisions made game after game. They have to at some point get pissed that their manager NEVER seems to put them in the best position to win. They see it everyday as soon as the lineup is posted.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves78 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-10-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Simmons .297

5 good to great hitters? What?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Freddi's use of the pen wasn't too bad except he should have just brought out Russell to start the inning. For people suggesting not using Carpenter at all, who else would you use?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    GTFO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Pretty obvious

TLS - Good
    Jason - Very Good
    Gattis - just under great
    Freddie - Great
    Justin - Great (ok maybe just under but I'll stick with it)

If you disagree you're a twit.