Page 260 of 579 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270310360 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,200 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Do you know how much complaining there would be on this board during the season if we had Gallo? The constant strikeouts, especially in big spots, would drive most of this board insane.
    Maybe if he was one of the top 5 batters in the lineup but he'd be a potent lower order hitter... it'd be a lot less frustration than you think.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Maybe if he was one of the top 5 batters in the lineup but he'd be a potent lower order hitter... it'd be a lot less frustration than you think.
    No worse that the people who complained about Popup Ozzie and Grounder To 2nd Neck.

Gallo has flaws as do most players in the big leagues. His flaws are just are not aesthetically pleasing. But whether his outs look good or not doesn't detract from his value and that's all anyone should be concerned about. And that's for any player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's cheap? What prospects we talking?
    well, obviously prospect cost would be a heavy factor. i already stated the offer of wright+goahara+more would be way too rich for me. my point was dan uggla production without dan uggla money.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    well, obviously prospect cost would be a heavy factor. i already stated the offer of wright+goahara+more would be way too rich for me. my point was dan uggla production without dan uggla money.
    No ones giving even close to that for Gallo I wouldn’t think. Just one of those guys likely gets him on a plane tomorrow . He’s not what we need. Not sure why the conversation about him has gone on this long.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    No worse that the people who complained about Popup Ozzie and Grounder To 2nd Neck.

Gallo has flaws as do most players in the big leagues. His flaws are just are not aesthetically pleasing. But whether his outs look good or not doesn't detract from his value and that's all anyone should be concerned about. And that's for any player.
    Unfortunately the die hard fans of this board watch the team on a day to day basis, they don't just look at the stats after the season ended.

I'm not advocating either way, but the complainers of this board will definitely be saying Gallo sucks non stop after he strikes out with Donaldson and Freeman on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs multiple times a week.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-27-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    No ones giving even close to that for Gallo I wouldn’t think. Just one of those guys likely gets him on a plane tomorrow . He’s not what we need. Not sure why the conversation about him has gone on this long.
    How so?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Unfortunately the die hard fans of this board watch the team on a day to day basis, they don't just look at the stats after the season ended.

I'm not advocating either way, but the complainers of this board will definitely be saying Gallo sucks non stop after he strikes out with Donaldson and Freeman on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs multiple times a week.
    But complainers will do that for anybody. Usually it's best to ignore gameday threads if that sort of thing irks you.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well thankfully we don't have to watch him to see how valuable his skill set is... we clearly see it in the statistic
    This is exactly the difference between all the old-timers and the number-crazies in a nutshell.

You guys act like people who don't buy completely in somehow can't understand the numbers, and nothing could be further from the truth in most cases.

OB stated that he didn't know if he could stomach watching Gallo strike out so often - not that he's not a productive player. Baseball is entertainment, and if Gallo were a Brave, there's 3-4 ABs a night the people watching the games at home get a head start on the commercial break and head to the john so they can get back in time to see every pitch of the next half-inning. The same was true when Pitchers adjusted and learned to throw sliders to Frenchy years ago. So Gallo hits 40 bombs, big deal - I'll see the highlight 3 times during the telecast, at least twice on Braves Live, and if I'm that desperate to see it I'll record the whole game when it's replayed after Braves Live and fast-forward through and watch it in the morning (in the event I miss it all 6 times it's shown on Quick Pitch before I go to work in the morning or Braves.com crashes and I can't go there to see it as many times as I want).

Most people watch the games because they hope to see something they DIDN'T expect to see for the entertainment and wow-factors - a no-no, a walk-off, a Pitcher striking out 20 guys, a nobody like Charlie Culberson being the hero of the game etc. - if everything played out according to the numbers, people would quit watching and there finally would be no reason to play the games. Gallo is absolutely a productive player, and pretty much everybody understands that without needing to be talked down to - he's also a productive player that lots of people will switch over to another game to watch during his AB in hopes there's some action happening elsewhere. Baseball's not lacking for talent - there's more overall talent in the game than ever before - it's suffering greatly from a lack of action, and you sure as *ell aren't going to attract new fans when guys continuously go up there hacking at everything and heading back to the bench 70% of the time. They can go to their local Little League game and see that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This is exactly the difference between all the old-timers and the number-crazies in a nutshell.

You guys act like people who don't buy completely in somehow can't understand the numbers, and nothing could be further from the truth in most cases.

OB stated that he didn't know if he could stomach watching Gallo strike out so often - not that he's not a productive player. Baseball is entertainment, and if Gallo were a Brave, there's 3-4 ABs a night the people watching the games at home get a head start on the commercial break and head to the john so they can get back in time to see every pitch of the next half-inning. The same was true when Pitchers adjusted and learned to throw sliders to Frenchy years ago. So Gallo hits 40 bombs, big deal - I'll see the highlight 3 times during the telecast, at least twice on Braves Live, and if I'm that desperate to see it I'll record the whole game when it's replayed after Braves Live and fast-forward through and watch it in the morning (in the event I miss it all 6 times it's shown on Quick Pitch before I go to work in the morning or Braves.com crashes and I can't go there to see it as many times as I want).

Most people watch the games because they hope to see something they DIDN'T expect to see for the entertainment and wow-factors - a no-no, a walk-off, a Pitcher striking out 20 guys, a nobody like Charlie Culberson being the hero of the game etc. - if everything played out according to the numbers, people would quit watching and there finally would be no reason to play the games. Gallo is absolutely a productive player, and pretty much everybody understands that without needing to be talked down to - he's also a productive player that lots of people will switch over to another game to watch during his AB in hopes there's some action happening elsewhere. Baseball's not lacking for talent - there's more overall talent in the game than ever before - it's suffering greatly from a lack of action, and you sure as *ell aren't going to attract new fans when guys continuously go up there hacking at everything and heading back to the bench 70% of the time. They can go to their local Little League game and see that.
    TLDR: I hate stats

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    he's a potential ~3 WAR OF. that would fit nicely with the team.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

we're talking about 1 guy in the lineup, who also happens to hit 40 homers. something people tend to like.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    TLDR: I hate stats
    Not at all. But if the stats are what we're watching, there's no need to be in front of the TV for 3 hours every night or to ever go to the park.

That's absolutely fine if that's what you follow the game for - everybody has their reasons for following the sport. We're going to find out that the money will soon dry up when the entertainment continues to dwindle though. Those people who watch for that entertainment will find other things to do with their free time.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    we're talking about 1 guy in the lineup, who also happens to hit 40 homers. something people tend to like.
    I like dunks - I wouldn't sit through an NBA game if you paid me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    How so?
    A guy who has abysmal numbers away from the hitter friendly confines of his home park with questionable or deteriorating defense? Sure if he's dirt cheap but I'm not paying much for it at all.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    he's a potential ~3 WAR OF. that would fit nicely with the team.
    Meh. Pass.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Not at all. But if the stats are what we're watching, there's no need to be in front of the TV for 3 hours every night or to ever go to the park.

That's absolutely fine if that's what you follow the game for - everybody has their reasons for following the sport. We're going to find out that the money will soon dry up when the entertainment continues to dwindle though. Those people who watch for that entertainment will find other things to do with their free time.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    A guy who has abysmal numbers away from the hitter friendly confines of his home park with questionable or deteriorating defense? Sure if he's dirt cheap but I'm not paying much for it at all.
    He actually hit better on the road in 2017. And there is nothing questionable or deteriorating about his OF defense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I like dunks - I wouldn't sit through an NBA game if you paid me.
    ok???? is this supposed to be a valid point of something?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Meh. Pass.
    you can pass, but your statement is pretty objectively incorrect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Because the stats show that he's one of the more productive options we could potentially get? A 3+ WAR player replacing Neck would be huge