Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Kemp to Dodgers!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What part of “playing it conservative for the first year” do folks not understand?
    I was responding to the trade proposal dude had posted. Chill.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I was responding to the trade proposal dude had posted. Chill.
    Should probably help clv work out a Greinke trade too while you’re at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Agree. But I prefer to do that now. I don't believe that Teheran nor Folty will build more value over the coming season than they will lose due to the loss of control time. And I see both as having less long term value than most of the young guys (those with real value) since they are getting older (Teheran especially) and more expensive with less control (Folty).
    If we are below .500 at mid-season, I don't think AA will hesitate to make some moves of this type. I've always thought that mid-season was the best time to trade major leaguers for prospects. Contending teams pay more of a premium at that point. But if we get the right offer tomorrow, I'm open to trading anyone.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If we are below .500 at mid-season, I don't think AA will hesitate to make some moves of this type. I've always thought that mid-season was the best time to trade major leaguers for prospects. Contending teams pay more of a premium at that point. But if we get the right offer tomorrow, I'm open to trading anyone.
    I think you shop them now and pull the trigger on the right deal. Waiting to mid season cuts both ways. It narrows the field of possible suitors but elevates the urgency. The big thing to me is targeting what you want from the other team. Right now the Braves might get Austin Hays and Hunter Harvey. They still might at mid season. But if either or both break out in the first half of 2018 then they are gone as far as trade possibilities.

I think you shop them with an understanding of guys you will accept back. If you don't get what you want, then you wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    AA is going to make a play for Yelich if he's available. He'll play it conservative other than that would be my guess based on what's been reported so far.
    thank you weso1!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    AA is going to make a play for Yelich if he's available. He'll play it conservative other than that would be my guess based on what's been reported so far.
    I think it would be a bad move. Braves would have to pay a premium in young talent unless they are willing to take back a ton of bad contracts and I don't think that's on the table now after the Kemp deal.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I think it would be a bad move. Braves would have to pay a premium in young talent unless they are willing to take back a ton of bad contracts and I don't think that's on the table now after the Kemp deal.
    That's the rub. Yelich would likely drain the Braves of young talent. We probably wouldn't have to trade Acuna or Albies. But it would likely start with Gohara and Wright/Soroka. And then likely Pache and Fried. That's a big price to pay. Is it worth it, possibly, but remember we lost tons of international money.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I might do a Yelich, Tazawa and Chen deal for Allard, Sims and Touki deal with Allard as the obvious headliner IF the Braves could make the money work. Would likely necessitate the trade of Teheran and maybe Folty and make Inciarte a possible trade chip.

Tazawa is gone after 2018. Chen is the medicine you accept to get Yelich but he could be a useful, if expensive, 5th starter for a few years ( you would definitely not want his 2021 contract to activate).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    That's the rub. Yelich would likely drain the Braves of young talent. We probably wouldn't have to trade Acuna or Albies. But it would likely start with Gohara and Wright/Soroka. And then likely Pache and Fried. That's a big price to pay. Is it worth it, possibly, but remember we lost tons of international money.
    Yeah only way to do it is if they still are looking to dump payroll more than get max talent back and IF the Braves could accept the short term payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    If the Braves are somehow in WC contention at the deadline, expect them to upgrade with a long term piece.

If they are out of contention, they will be looking to flip Teheran. Folty has enough control that he should be held.

The odds of them being in contention are not high. It will be a pretty slow offseason for the Braves from here on out. The Braves mouthpiece has already said as much.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-17-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    If the Braves are somehow in WC contention at the deadline, expect them to upgrade with a long term piece.

If they are out of contention, they will be looking to flip Teheran. Folty has enough control that he should be held.

The odds of them being in contention are not high. It will be a pretty slow offseason for the Braves from here on out. The Braves mouthpiece has already said as much.
    Yeah. We are pretty much done. I think we bring in a stopgap like Seth Smith to play left to help with the optics of sending Acuna down for a few weeks. And that might be it.

"I am your retribution."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    It will be a pretty slow offseason for the Braves from here on out. The Braves mouthpiece has already said as much.
    I don't disagree with you, but DOB is usually pretty clueless about what the Braves will do.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Yeah. We are pretty much done. I think we bring in a stopgap like Seth Smith to play left to help with the optics of sending Acuna down for a few weeks. And that might be it.
    Why a LHer? I would think a RHer would make more sense so he could platoon with Markakis.

I wanted Austin Jackson last year, and I think a player like that would make sense again this year. Of course Lane Adams may be penciled in for exactly that role, but he is extremely unlikely to repeat his 2017 production.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Why a LHer? I would think a RHer would make more sense so he could platoon with Markakis.

I wanted Austin Jackson last year, and I think a player like that would make sense again this year. Of course Lane Adams may be penciled in for exactly that role, but he is extremely unlikely to repeat his 2017 production.
    yeah...a RH makes sense now that Kemp is gone...but I'm also thinking about when Acuna is up

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think they'll spend another 10+ million and wind up in the 120-125 dollar range. Probably nothing exciting, but a few decent one or two year deals.

I would not be shocked though if we saw some additional reorganization of payroll and bigger moves. They now have some flexibility there.

They are now equipped to bid on the open market for free agents last year, but looking at the teams that have poised themselves to go hard at that class, it is going to be pricy and the Braves may not be in the best position to recruit great players even if they were in the ballpark salary wise.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    yeah...a RH makes sense now that Kemp is gone...but I'm also thinking about when Acuna is up
    Right, and then he platoons with Markakis.

I find it highly unlikely the Braves call up Acuna to platoon him with a Seth Smith type player.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    If you are going to go Seth Smith why not do Preston Tucker instead, just designated by the stros and should be really cheap. Also, if you are going Lefty then Cargo might be your man or Granderson. If you want the novelty effect you could go with Ichiro.

RH you're looking at Austin Jackson, Cam Maybin. I guess you could go with Werth if he comes cheap enough.

You might bring in Eduardo Nunez to play 3B/LF/SS (probably the best bet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think the Kemp trade makes it more likely since that freed up money for 19. Chen's contract is only for 10 mil this season and 20/22 million the next two years. Chen is probably the guy the Marlins want to get rid of the most.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    If you are going to go Seth Smith why not do Preston Tucker instead, just designated by the stros and should be really cheap. Also, if you are going Lefty then Cargo might be your man or Granderson. If you want the novelty effect you could go with Ichiro.

RH you're looking at Austin Jackson, Cam Maybin. I guess you could go with Werth if he comes cheap enough.

You might bring in Eduardo Nunez to play 3B/LF/SS (probably the best bet).
    Maybin makes a lot of sense for the right price. I expect Nunez to be too expensive, especially for a team that already has Camargo and Culberson.

I definitely want to see any OF addition be RHed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-17-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Right, and then he platoons with Markakis.

I find it highly unlikely the Braves call up Acuna to platoon him with a Seth Smith type player.
    I had in mind Smith platooning with Adams or Garcia in left...then becoming our main pinch hitter once Acuna comes up

"I am your retribution."