Thread: Possible SP target... maybe

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Justin Verlander anyone?

The Braves are looking to add starting pitching this offseason and Verlander makes perfect sense for them with the ties he has there.

The Braves' new pitching coach, Chuck Hernandez, was also Verlander's pitching coach from 2006 to 2008. During that span, Verlander won AL Rookie of the Year, became an All-Star and won plenty of games for the Tigers.

Not to mention Verlander also had a pretty good bounce back season this past year, in which he went 16-9 with a 3.04 ERA.
    I read the link. It hypothesizes Allard and Toussaint.

I believe the correct term for this is "talking out your ass."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I read the link. It hypothesizes Allard and Toussaint.

I believe the correct term for this is "talking out your ass."
    I'd be fine with Verlander but not for anything close to that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I'd be fine with Verlander but not for anything close to that.
    The main thing we know on the record is that the Tigers want to cut payroll. The Braves can afford to take Verlander's entire salary, but the flip side is that they would not have to trade a king's ransom to take it off Detroit's hands. Maybe something like Cabrera, Povse and Pache. If a bigger deal was in order, perhaps we'd have to take another bad contract as well, like we did with Quentin. I'd be happy to take J.D. Martinez's seven-digit salary off their hands.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Then why not just read the thread first? If you had time to reply, surely you had time to read the OP.

Really not trying to start an argument, but as Enscheff (of all people) mentions, this is a fan forum after all - surely this isn't your main source of Braves' information.
    Well, I used to be a moderator on a hockey website, which was fan-driven. Obivously it generated much more traffic than here. This was during the time when fantasy discussion got commingled with actual rumors. Opinion was split on usefulness, but nobody was attempting to silence anybody if there were enough other members interested in engaging. At the same time, there were those who were seeking different types of discussions and didn't want to click a topic that had an inaccurate title with topic that wasn't of specific interest.

Simple solution: we all agreed that if it was a rumor, post rumor in the title (with linked source). If it was a proposal, post that it was a proposal. Apparently, somebody at least somewhat agreed, as the words, "...maybe" were tacked on. It's not to rain on anybody's parade. Have all the trade proposal threads you want. Just give an accurate thread title for people who don't want to read the thread. Assuming that there are topics that you choose not to want to read? You would prefer to know the contents. Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Well, I used to be a moderator on a hockey website, which was fan-driven. Obivously it generated much more traffic than here. This was during the time when fantasy discussion got commingled with actual rumors. Opinion was split on usefulness, but nobody was attempting to silence anybody if there were enough other members interested in engaging. At the same time, there were those who were seeking different types of discussions and didn't want to click a topic that had an inaccurate title with topic that wasn't of specific interest.

Simple solution: we all agreed that if it was a rumor, post rumor in the title (with linked source). If it was a proposal, post that it was a proposal. Apparently, somebody at least somewhat agreed, as the words, "...maybe" were tacked on. It's not to rain on anybody's parade. Have all the trade proposal threads you want. Just give an accurate thread title for people who don't want to read the thread. Assuming that there are topics that you choose not to want to read? You would prefer to know the contents. Right?
    Hockey sucks.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I read the title before I clicked and once I was in the thread it was what I thought it was. When you were a moderator, did you guys also try to keep people on topic of what the thread was? The reason I ask is because I read a reply to the thread, then I read this crap about if the title was properly worded or not. Who cares to be honest! I knew exactly what I was getting by reading the title. Why didn't you?

So what do ya say, can we just talk some baseball stuff and get through the cold (maybe it will be one day) winter till spring training starts?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    So my thoughts on Santana are based on the FO saying at some point that they had their eye on some pitchers that use to be with the Braves. Also, it looks like the Twins want to dump him and he did pretty good when he was here. I don't think I heard anything bad about him when he was here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I read the title before I clicked and once I was in the thread it was what I thought it was. When you were a moderator, did you guys also try to keep people on topic of what the thread was? The reason I ask is because I read a reply to the thread, then I read this crap about if the title was properly worded or not. Who cares to be honest! I knew exactly what I was getting by reading the title. Why didn't you?

So what do ya say, can we just talk some baseball stuff and get through the cold (maybe it will be one day) winter till spring training starts?
    At that time, there wasn't usually a lot of need for mod involvement. With the time leading up, quite a bit of the writing was professional level. If things got off track, it was at descretion to interject. Generally, everyone had at least played the game (in some form), understood the sport and its history, was interested in the business aspects and could provide insightful comments on the action. If a fan from a rival team attempted to troll, it was done "at risk" and he'd usually exit the room bloodied and battered. :D

Even though we're talking 12-15 years ago, the landscape has changed. These millenial-types are hypersenstive and easily offended, have zero concept of the history, never played but spend hours on end with video games, endlessly recycle old jokes and don't perceive fantasy leagues as the joke that they always were. Probably left out other attributes but it's easy to spot the same patterns.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 11-03-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Probably left out other attributes but it's easy to spot the same patterns.
    You left out have way too much time on their hands and live in their parents' basement.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You left out have way too much time on their hands and live in their parents' basement.
    Speaking of which, the birthing class I just attended claims children born now will be at home, on average, until they are 28. **** that!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I think verlander is the perfect target. If we can add a legitimate top of the rotation workhorse I honestly think we may be able to compete for a wild card. Although the allard and touki idea is crazy. If we eat the entire contract I think some combination from the group of Mallex, Wisler, Blair can get him

We've shed so much salary over the years I think we should highly consider taking on the full contract in order to give up less

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Speaking of which, the birthing class I just attended claims children born now will be at home, on average, until they are 28. **** that!!
    mazel tov

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The first part speaks for itself for those who are on the board all the time with ridiculous post counts. The second one is too cliché, like those endlessly recycled jokes. Does recall fond memories of Perfect Cell from the Scout board says though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    We should all be running all thread titles past Knucksie before posting to ensure they are proper summations of the content. It will prevent folks who are wasting time on a fan forum from wasting an additional 10 seconds reading a post that isn't exactly what they anticipated before they spent those very valuable 10 seconds of their life clicking and reading.
    Against my better judgement, I'm starting to enjoy you

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Congratulations, Enscheff, and may you have a child JUST LIKE YOU.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I wonder about a Jordan Zimmerman and Anibal Sanchez trade. Maybe Mallex for Zimmerman, Sanchez and $5M (Sanchez' buyout of 2018).

Rotation of: Tehran, Zimmerman, Folty, Wisler, Sanchez

That would likely solve Detroits cash problems. I don't see Zimmerman as a #1 but he's a solid 2. Sanchez might bounce back but if not he's a back end body.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I wonder about a Jordan Zimmerman and Anibal Sanchez trade. Maybe Mallex for Zimmerman, Sanchez and $5M (Sanchez' buyout of 2018).

Rotation of: Tehran, Zimmerman, Folty, Wisler, Sanchez

That would likely solve Detroits cash problems. I don't see Zimmerman as a #1 but he's a solid 2. Sanchez might bounce back but if not he's a back end body.
    I like the thought.. but I am just not sure about Zimm.. that contract is way to big for his production. 4 years is a bit much with the talent we are building below him. I think that trade is a big NO for me.. Sanchez is done IMO.. basically paying him out for the rest of the season.. not too bad, but not what I would want at this moment..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I usually agree with, or at least understand the point of, most things the guys at FG write, but every once in a while they drop things like this:

Alex
    11:09 Ender, Albies, Newcomb, and Touki to LA for Urias?
    Jeff Sullivan
    11:09 I like the idea but LA wouldn't do that. Not enough upside, I don't think -- Urias, they believe, can and will be an ace

Is there anyone here that would make that trade from a Braves perspective? In my opinion, that package for Urias is beyond ludicrous.

Or am I severely underrating Urias?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I usually agree with, or at least understand the point of, most things the guys at FG write, but every once in a while they drop things like this:

Alex
    Jeff Sullivan
    11:09 I like the idea but LA wouldn't do that. Not enough upside, I don't think -- Urias, they believe, can and will be an ace

Is there anyone here that would make that trade from a Braves perspective? In my opinion, that package for Urias is beyond ludicrous.

You are not alone in your opinion. That package is way too much for one still unproven pitcher.

I can see why the Dodgers wouldn't do it though.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Alex
    Jeff Sullivan

I wouldn't do that