Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    IF they were willing to move Teheran, I'd personally prefer to continue to add high-end depth that's close-to-ready (to buy time for some of the high-end guys at the lower levels). Tap into the Cubs' great depth and get something more like Almora, Pierce Johnson, and Willson Contreras. All three could easily be ready to contribute by 2017.

I love Baez' power as much as everyone does, but...

1.) don't think they'll move him unless it's in a deal for an absolute slam-dunk "Ace", and...
    2.) am still really leery of that much swing and miss.

Would give you an alternative to Mallex in CF, an alternative to Bethancourt behind the plate, and another high-ceiling arm to add to the stable. If you could somehow convince Theo and Jed to take Maybin in the deal instead of committing multiple years to Fowler, you could conceivably free up enough money to make a run at one of the "Aces" or Cespedes/J-Up/Heyward IF the Johns decided to change their minds and play on that level.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (10-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Soler is signed through 2020 so he'd be here for awhile. And Baez would be here for 5 years. That's the kind of guys we should go hard after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Something else to think about. Baez plays SS or 2b. If you got Baez you could turn around and trade Simmons and load right back up again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-24-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Seems like an interesting potential match, although I have to wonder if the Cubs won't attempt to go after quality FA pitching given the composition of the market and the fact that they have roughly $50MM to spend (assuming they maintain 2015 spending).
    I saw they may go after Heyward, wouldnt be a bad a replacement for Soler if he got dealt.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Only reason i would be eh on trading Julio even for Baez or Castro and Soler is there's so much uncertainy in the rotation and they arent signing one of Price/Greinke/Zimmerman.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I saw they may go after Heyward, wouldnt be a bad a replacement for Soler if he got dealt.
    I haven't been following the rumor threads much, but Heyward would be a perfect fit in Chicago. Either trade Soler or put him in LF and get Schwarber behind the plate and then deal Montero.

I think the Cubs would have to be knocked over completely to trade Baez, although as others have said the swing-and-miss aspect of his game is a bit troublesome.

If we're thinking of trading with the Cubs, don't forget Billy McKinney.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I haven't been following the rumor threads much, but Heyward would be a perfect fit in Chicago. Either trade Soler or put him in LF and get Schwarber behind the plate and then deal Montero.

I think the Cubs would have to be knocked over completely to trade Baez, although as others have said the swing-and-miss aspect of his game is a bit troublesome.

If we're thinking of trading with the Cubs, don't forget Billy McKinney.
    Just me reading between the lines, but I think they've already given up on Schwarber behind the plate on a regular basis. While he does seem to move a bit better than Gattis back there, the Mets really exposed how bad they are against the running game last week.

Heyward to Chicago doesn't really seem to make much sense to me personally - unless you were thinking about using him in CF. While putting him there would eliminate the need to re-sign Fowler or sign or deal for another stopgap CF (presuming they're not traded) until McKinney, Almora, Eddy Martinez, or Eloy Jimenez is ready (different timelines obviously), it doesn't fill a rotation slot.

FWIW, Theo, Jed, and Beane have always been comfortable dealing with each other - just spitballing here, but I could see them working up another absolute blockbuster along the lines of Baez, Almora, Dan Vogelbach, and Duane Underwood or Pierce Johnson for Sonny Gray.

Of course if they did that, they could go that route with Heyward, re-sign Fowler, trade Soler for Teheran straight-up, and tell everybody *uck you!!!

CF- Fowler, LF- Schwarber, 3B- Bryant, 1B- Rizzo, 2B- Castro, RF- Heyward, C- Montero/Ross, SS- Russell

Rotation - Arrieta, Lester, Gray, Teheran, who cares???
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-24-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just me reading between the lines, but I think they've already given up on Schwarber behind the plate on a regular basis. While he does seem to move a bit better than Gattis back there, the Mets really exposed how bad they are against the running game last week.

Heyward to Chicago doesn't really seem to make much sense to me personally - unless you were thinking about using him in CF. While putting him there would eliminate the need to re-sign Fowler or sign or deal for another stopgap CF (presuming they're not traded) until McKinney, Almora, Eddy Martinez, or Eloy Jimenez is ready (different timelines obviously), it doesn't fill a rotation slot.

FWIW, Theo, Jed, and Beane have always been comfortable dealing with each other - just spitballing here, but I could see them working up another absolute blockbuster along the lines of Baez, Almora, Dan Vogelbach, and Duane Underwood or Pierce Johnson for Sonny Gray.

Of course if they did that, they could go that route with Heyward, re-sign Fowler, trade Soler for Teheran straight-up, and tell everybody *uck you!!!

CF- Fowler, LF- Schwarber, 3B- Bryant, 1B- Rizzo, 2B- Castro, RF- Heyward, C- Montero/Ross, SS- Russell

Rotation - Arrieta, Lester, Gray, Teheran, who cares???
    All I can say in response is Schwarber must be absolutely horrid behind the plate, because he's terrible in LF.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    All I can say in response is Schwarber must be absolutely horrid behind the plate, because he's terrible in LF.
    Apparently he's not much better than Gattis at either position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would trade Teheran for Soler in a heartbeat and consider it a fair trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Soler's 30% strikeout is a red flag.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-31-2015), JohnAdcox (10-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Our offense is a red flag.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-30-2015), Julio3000 (10-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Our offense is a red flag.
    We still have to be judicious about how we go about improving it. Teheran is a good pitcher and I would not trade him for a guy with a 30% strikeout rate and 8% walk rate.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-31-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he only hit .262 with a BABip of .362. although he did have a .300+ OBP, I think unless he makes some adjustments MLB pitchers will expose that high K rate. He is only like 23 or something, so there is a lot of room to grow and develop however.

I said the same thing at another site.. The 30% K rate would make me concerned and thus not do a Julio for Soler trade straight up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Marlins in serious talks with Mattingly for the manager position. Also the Nats hire bud black as manager

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Mattingly to manage the Marlins on a 4 year deal. Won't be announced until after the world series

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    MLBTR has stated that Mattingly goes to the Marlins, Bud Black to the National and Andy Green to the Padres. Other reports have Scott Servais getting the Mariners' job. Most of the announcements will not be made until after the World Series, according to the wishes of the Commissioner's office.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Apparently he's not much better than Gattis at either position.
    Their problem is that he really needs to be a 1B, but Rizzo is there. And honestly, Bryant would probably work best at 1B as well, though I think he'll be ok enough in the OF.

But I would take him in a heartbeat and put him at C. I'll deal with the defensive issues to get that offense out of my catcher.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Their problem is that he really needs to be a 1B, but Rizzo is there. And honestly, Bryant would probably work best at 1B as well, though I think he'll be ok enough in the OF.

But I would take him in a heartbeat and put him at C. I'll deal with the defensive issues to get that offense out of my catcher.
    Bryant is a 3rd baseman

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Bryant is a 3rd baseman
    I know that's where he's played; I was saying I don't think he'll stick there long-term.

After looking further, though, he had better defensive numbers than I thought and may be able to stick at 3B.