Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BA's Top 10 Prospects

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts

BA's Top 10 Prospects

The Baseball America prospect lists have begun. The full article is subscription-only, but the top 10 list is not:

1. Hector Olivera, 3B
    2. Kolby Allard, LHP
    3. Ozzie Albies, SS
    4. Touki Toussaint, RHP
    5. Austin Riley, 3B
    6. Max Fried, LHP
    7. Mallex Smith, OF
    8. Mike Soroka, RHP
    9. Braxton Davidson, OF
    10. Lucas Sims, RHP

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    It's an interesting list. Set Olivera aside for a second, as he's more an artifact of the somewhat quirky way BA handles veteran imports, and there are a few takeaways:

1. Allard's already the best prospect in the system after six (admittedly dominant) innings. That's ambitious.

2. The 2015 draft certainly looks solid, based on very, very, very early returns

3. Toussaint at 4 and Fried at 6 is obviously a reflection of the talent both those guys possess, but having one guy who hasn't pitched in about a year and a half and another who's painfully young and has gotten his head beaten in so far that high is a cause for some wariness.

4. How is "Mallex" pronounced? Like the bad guy in Knights of the Old Republic, or like "Alex" with an "M" at the front?
    Last edited by MadduxFanII; 10-26-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    [QUOTE=MadduxFanII;274264]It's an interesting list. Set Olivera aside for a second, as he's more an artifact of the somewhat quirky way BA handles veteran imports, and there are a few takeaways:

1. Allard's already the best prospect in the system after six (admittedly dominant) innings. That's ambitious.

2. The 2015 draft certainly looks solid, based on very, very, very early returns

3. Toussaint at 4 and Fried at 6 is obviously a reflection of the talent both those guys possess, but having one guy who hasn't pitched in about a year and a half and another who's painfully young and has gotten his head beaten in so far that high is a cause for some wariness.

4. How is "Mallex" pronounced? Like the bad guy in Knights of the Old Republic, or like "Alex" with an "M" at the front?[/QUOTE]

I think they pronounce it Maalox because he gives the pitchers indigestion.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (10-26-2015), JohnAdcox (10-26-2015), jpx7 (10-28-2015), zedsdead (10-26-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Nice list, but like Carol King sand, for the most part, "So Far Away."

It's always difficult to project on minor league late-season numbers, but Sims appeared to pitch really well after his promotion to Mississippi. If his development arc continues upward, I could see him debuting in 2016.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-26-2015), jpx7 (10-28-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    [QUOTE=50PoundHead;274271]
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    It's an interesting list. Set Olivera aside for a second, as he's more an artifact of the somewhat quirky way BA handles veteran imports, and there are a few takeaways:

4. How is "Mallex" pronounced? Like the bad guy in Knights of the Old Republic, or like "Alex" with an "M" at the front?[/QUOTE]

I think they pronounce it Maalox because he gives the pitchers indigestion.

I only thanked you because of the Meme..

#facepalm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-26-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quite an interesting Projected 2019 Lineup...

C- Bethancourt
    1B- Freeman
    2B- Peterson
    SS- Simba
    3B- Olivera
    LF- Riley
    CF- Smith
    RF- Davidson

SP- Miller
    SP- Teheran
    SP- Wisler
    SP- Minor
    SP- Sims

CL- Simmons
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Minor here in 2019? Allard will be ready by then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Minor here in 2019? Allard will be ready by then.
    I think he could be here late 2017 early 2018 at the pace he is on

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think he could be here late 2017 early 2018 at the pace he is on
    PACE?!? hasn't he only pitched like 3 innings or something small like that? Now that being said, I see no chance Minor is here in 2017 even. I think Minor is pitching to be traded at deadline this year next

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree Matt. He's not a long term option at all. I could see Allard being ready sometime at the end of 2018 early 2019.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    you are probably right Huddy. I think Allard can be ready by 19 if nothing else. Just in time to replace Miller or Julio after we trade one of them for a bounty of players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Miller has a good year next year I'd extend him. We need a solid piece like him at the top of the rotation to lead the other guys. I'm thinking they trade Julio this offseason for offense.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Exciting crop of young guys there. Near future still uncertain, but long term outlooks definitely tending upwards. 7 of the 10 listed have joined the organization within the last year.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Miller has a good year next year I'd extend him. We need a solid piece like him at the top of the rotation to lead the other guys. I'm thinking they trade Julio this offseason for offense.
    Me personally, I truly believe Julio is a budding star. We saw this in 2014 and then in glimpse last year and most notably in the second half. I just think at the cost of current starting pitchers compared to Teheran's future salaries he will be an absolute steal. I could really see our 2019 rotation being this (only including arms currently in our system and not potential free agents):

1. Julio Teheran
    2. Max Fried
    3. Lucas Sims/Tyrell Jenkins
    4. Kolby Allard
    5. Matt Wisler
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Nice list, but like Carol King sand, for the most part, "So Far Away."

It's always difficult to project on minor league late-season numbers, but Sims appeared to pitch really well after his promotion to Mississippi. If his development arc continues upward, I could see him debuting in 2016.
    I said a while back that Lucas Sims is my dark horse for the 5th starters job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I've seen too many pitchers with glenoid labrum injuries that simply do not come back from that injury to believe that Minor will be back. If he does come back and is like his former self, great! He has beaten the odds. It's not something I would bank on based on my experience in treating these injuries.

As far as trading one of the pitchers, if you want to weaken the team, then by all means do it. The team has two of the top pitchers in the league that are under 25 years of age. This is like saying the Mets should trade Syndergard or Harvey for hitting in the off season. If the playoffs have shown us anything, it is that great pitching still beats great hitting. You find another way of addressing the offense. Find a Kendrys Morales type that you take a chance on and bring him on board. Find another young guy like Cameron Maybin who hasn't put it all together and give him a chance. You don't have to trade one of your two best starters for an offensive fetish. I understand the rationale behind the idea that you target one of the older free agent pitchers and trade one of the younger ones for offense. I just don't agree with it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (10-28-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I've seen too many pitchers with glenoid labrum injuries that simply do not come back from that injury to believe that Minor will be back. If he does come back and is like his former self, great! He has beaten the odds. It's not something I would bank on based on my experience in treating these injuries.

As far as trading one of the pitchers, if you want to weaken the team, then by all means do it. The team has two of the top pitchers in the league that are under 25 years of age. This is like saying the Mets should trade Syndergard or Harvey for hitting in the off season. If the playoffs have shown us anything, it is that great pitching still beats great hitting. You find another way of addressing the offense. Find a Kendrys Morales type that you take a chance on and bring him on board. Find another young guy like Cameron Maybin who hasn't put it all together and give him a chance. You don't have to trade one of your two best starters for an offensive fetish. I understand the rationale behind the idea that you target one of the older free agent pitchers and trade one of the younger ones for offense. I just don't agree with it.
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7...-hunt-octobers

The Cubs love Teheran, and the Braves love Soler. I wouldn't be shocked to see a swap involving those two guys this offseason.

The Braves would fill out the rotation with FA fill ins until the young guys are ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    It would be quite a turnaround for this FO to go for a guy like Soler with a 30% strikeout rate.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-28-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7...-hunt-octobers

The Cubs love Teheran, and the Braves love Soler. I wouldn't be shocked to see a swap involving those two guys this offseason.

The Braves would fill out the rotation with FA fill ins until the young guys are ready.
    Would love to see that deal, providing that the Braves would then go after one of the premium pitchers in free agency.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It would be quite a turnaround for this FO to go for a guy like Soler with a 30% strikeout rate.
    I don't know a lot about Soler, but his 29% K rate at the MLB level comes over 500 total PAs. His K rate in over 600 MiLB PAs is a much better 17%.

I'm not saying I think he is the answer for RF, and that it would be wise to trade Teheran for him, but I've read there is mutual interest. He is a young (23) OFer, controllable through 2020, and is a potential impact RHed bat to pair with Freeman. If his K rate stabilizes in the 20%-25% range, I see no reason he couldn't be exactly that for the Braves.

A top of the order containing some combination of Mallex, Markakis, Olivera, Freeman and Soler suddenly has the makings of a respectable offense.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-28-2015 at 10:49 AM.