Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Spring Training news and roster competition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Releasing these guys so early is pretty classy. When you know they don't fit in your plans it's better to give them a chance to latch on elsewhere.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-05-2016), JohnAdcox (03-05-2016), Julio3000 (03-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I can only assume that Carpenter just isn't going to be the same after that shoulder issue last year. His velocity definitely dropped.

Jose Ramirez seems to be a near lock to make the team if he doesn't stink up the place in ST. His upside is similar to Vizcaino's and he has 6 years of control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I can only assume that Carpenter just isn't going to be the same after that shoulder issue last year. His velocity definitely dropped.

Jose Ramirez seems to be a near lock to make the team if he doesn't stink up the place in ST. His upside is similar to Vizcaino's and he has 6 years of control.
    I'm really excited about Ramirez... if he pulls it all together, he has the talent to be a steal and a bullpen cornerstone for a long time. All the sudden our young bullpen has some major potential to be a shut down pen for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

It will be an interesting decision. I'm assuming they will carry 5 RHP in the pen. Grilli, Viz, Johnson, Withrow and Winkler. Now one of those may get injured. Or Grilli might start the year on the DL. Or they may go with more than five RHP in the pen. Or Ramirez could beat out one of those five. Competition and depth is a good thing. And certainly RHP in the pen is one area where we will see some good competition this spring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We're not quite as deep when it comes to LHP in the pen. And of course the gods of baseball always see to it that injuries strike where you have limited depth. This has started with McKirahan going down and probably needing TJ surgery.

The competitors for presumably 2 spots for LHP in the pen currently are: Alex Torres, Rutckyj, Marksberry, Krol, Cervenka, Holmberg. I'm listing them in the order of estimated likelihood they make the team out of spring training. There is a chance we go with only one left. Or go with someone who has mainly started as a lefty reliever (such as Banuelos). Or bring in someone not currently with the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It will be an interesting decision. I'm assuming they will carry 5 RHP in the pen. Grilli, Viz, Johnson, Withrow and Winkler. Now one of those may get injured. Or Grilli might start the year on the DL. Or they may go with more than five RHP in the pen. Or Ramirez could beat out one of those five. Competition and depth is a good thing. And certainly RHP in the pen is one area where we will see some good competition this spring.
    I'm hoping they DL Grilli so we can let this thing play out a couple more weeks. Ogando is another name being talked up in camp.

One thing I've been wondering on the Rule 5 guys . . . If they're offered back to to the original team for $25k, does the original team have to keep them on the 40-man roster (or risk losing them through waivers)? Or can they just be assigned to the minors directly? Could be an interesting factor for Rutckyj, as I can't imagine the Yankees could carry him on the 40-man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'm hoping they DL Grilli so we can let this thing play out a couple more weeks. Ogando is another name being talked up in camp.

One thing I've been wondering on the Rule 5 guys . . . If they're offered back to to the original team for $25k, does the original team have to keep them on the 40-man roster (or risk losing them through waivers)? Or can they just be assigned to the minors directly? Could be an interesting factor for Rutckyj, as I can't imagine the Yankees could carry him on the 40-man.
    The original team does not have to put them on the 40-man roster.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

dak (03-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    First more shifts, and now a more sensible bullpen strategy. Fredi making some progress.

"Mix and match. Absolutely," Gonzalez said. "I learned last year. If the matchup comes up in the seventh inning and there are two or three guys who the scouting report says can't hit velocity? Maybe we'll use Vizcaino against those guys. It might be an important inning.
    "It's a nice thing to be able to do when you have that necessity. We [traded] Kimbrel, so you have to figure out who's going to pitch what important inning. We didn't used to do that. But now that Kimbrel's gone, it's like, 'You know what? We've got to figure this out. That ninth inning isn't automatic anymore. It's, 'Let's figure out who's best in the seventh or eighth, because that might be the game.'"
    http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...llpen-strategy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-15-2016), The Chosen One (03-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Braves still open to the possibility of Folty or Gant making the rotation. I'd say it's a longshot on Gant, but you have to hand it to him . . . he's done a hell of a job since he changed his mechanics last year. Would not be surprised at this point if he sticks in our rotation for several years.

When Foltynewicz starts against the Nationals in Viera, Fla., on Thursday afternoon, he will be pitching in a game for the first time since a blood clot sidelined him in September. The Braves won't need a fifth starter until April 12. Thus, it makes sense that they are keeping open the possibility that Foltynewicz or Banuelos will have enough time to prepare for that fifth spot.
    But to provide some indication as to how open-minded Gonzalez is about his rotation with Opening Day less than three weeks away, he casually mentioned Wednesday morning that he might even consider John Gant, a right-hander who has worked at least two innings in two of his three Grapefruit League relief appearances. Gant spent most of last season at the Double-A level, but he has not previously been considered a candidate to begin the season in Atlanta's rotation.
    "I'm open-minded," Gonzalez said. "Everybody is a candidate."
    http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...rotation-spots

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    First more shifts, and now a more sensible bullpen strategy. Fredi making some progress.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...llpen-strategy
    Our little boy is learning.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-18-2016), JohnAdcox (03-16-2016), Julio3000 (03-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Braves still open to the possibility of Folty or Gant making the rotation. I'd say it's a longshot on Gant, but you have to hand it to him . . . he's done a hell of a job since he changed his mechanics last year. Would not be surprised at this point if he sticks in our rotation for several years.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...rotation-spots
    I think Gant is going to end up really being a diamond in the rough. At least a mid rotation pitcher. His stuff his very underrated and all he does is get people out with good control. Could be our Keuchel... Not that I think he will end up being that dominant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There are two pitchers in our system with initials JG that I think are very good under-the-radar prospects.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    There are two pitchers in our system with initials JG that I think are very good under-the-radar prospects.
    Jason grilli?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (03-17-2016), JohnAdcox (03-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Jason grilli?
    close

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    close
    oh.. you are assuming Jason Groome..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    close
    Josh Graham?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Josh Graham?
    correctamundo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    oh.. you are assuming Jason Groome..
    Actually I'm hearing about these studly 15 year olds in the DR: Jose Gonzalez and Juan Gomez. Supposedly more advanced than Teheran at the same age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Sounds like Francoeur taking Bonifacio's spot on the bench is a real possibility. Still puzzled as to why we gave Boni an MLB deal in early December. Also, if Bonifacio's spot was tenuous, there were 5-10 OFs available at the time of Francoeur's signing that were better options.

Signing Emilio Bonifacio in December was a bit of a head-scratching move by the Braves, considering he wasn’t good the first time they had him in 2014 and was far worse during 2015 with the White Sox.

If there wasn’t an obvious need for the (very) light-hitting utility man then, there’s even less now after the Braves have seen him this spring and don’t seem at all impressed.

Braves manger Fredi Gonzalez has even started veteran right fielder Jeff Francoeur in center field once this week and plans to try him out there a couple more times. The reasoning: He’d give the Braves a right-handed hitting backup right fielder/pinch-hitter who could play some center along with lefty hitter Michael Bourn.
    http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/20...han-bonifacio/

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    @DOBrienAJC
    #Braves moves today: Mallex Smith optioned to AAA; Ozzie Albies, Dansby Swanson, Aaron Blair and Lucas Sims reassigned to minor league camp

they were fun to watch!!! They all proved they have what it takes to be MLB players. Hopefully they take that back to the minors and dominate!!