Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Mess At Home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    """Every Republican who was invited to speak yesterday the 50th anniversary of The March on Washington declined due to "scheduling conflict." """

Don't know about anyone else but that troubles me. On many levels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    OMG!
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    OMG!

Another well thought out Thursday morning comment. Can't wait to see Fridays -- probably along the lines of Fox and MSNBC are the same or Bush and Obama the same ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    National fast food strike hits dozens of cities
    Ned Resnikoff, @resnikoff
    8:00 AM on 08/29/2013

Twitter196
    Facebook120

Protesting fast food workers fill a McDonald's restaurant on New York's Fifth Avenue, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013. (Photo by Richard Drew/AP)

Protesting fast food workers fill a McDonald’s restaurant on New York’s Fifth Avenue, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013. (Photo by Richard Drew/AP)

Fast food workers staged a nationwide strike across dozens of American cities on Thursday morning, demanding a $15 per hour wage and the right to form a union. The strike, which is believed to be the largest in the industry’s history, included work stoppages in regions of the country which had never seen concentrated fast food labor activism before.

Roughly 50 cities are affected by the strikes. Cities that have struck before and are striking again include New York, Chicago, St.Louis, Seattle, and Detroit. But far more cities are experiencing their first strike ever, including cities from Hartford, Conn., to Dallas, Texas, to Berkeley Calif.

Growing national news coverage and social media buzz helped to fuel the strikes, according to workers and organizers.

“I’ve been watching the news, and I saw that a lot of fast food workers were organizing over the country,” said Willietta Dukes, a Burger King employee in Durham, North Carolina. “And I felt like it was high time that I be heard.” Thursday’s fast food strike is the first to occur in Durham.

The last major labor action in the fast food industry occurred one month prior, when workers and activists from seven cities engaged in a series of rolling work stoppages over four days. That week of action was essentially a regional phenomenon: the participating cities, except for New York, were all based in the Midwest. This time, all of the strikes have been condensed into twenty-four hours, and are sweeping across all corners of the continental United States.

That includes the South, a region which presents unique challenges for the burgeoning low-wage workers movement. Organized labor is far weaker in the American South than in any of the regions where fast food strikes have previously occurred. Union density tends to be significantly lower in southern states, and many of them have right-to-work laws on the books, the result being that much of the region the local union infrastructure which was able to help organize previous strikes.

“The fact that workers are going to strike is a sign of a significant turning point in the movement. It’s really gone national,” Columbia University professor Dorian Warren told CNN.

The traditional stumbling blocks to labor organizing in the South have not seriously impeded the fast food campaign, according to organizers.

“You would think it would be very hard to organize, because [North Carolina] is a right-to-work state and because people have been living under fear of being fired for the most minute issue … but to be honest with you, people are just fed up,” said Corine Mac, a Charlotte-based community organizer affiliated with the NAACP, Center for Community Change and the A. Phillip Randolph Institute.

North Carolina has the lowest union density in the country, with fewer than 3% of workers paying union dues.

Dearius Merritt, a striking Church’s Chicken assistant manager in Memphis, Tenn., also described fast food workers in his city as “fed up.”

“They’re tired of coming to work and having to work eight hours, nine hours, and them coming home and they can barely provide for their kids,” he said. When asked whether he was afraid of retaliation from management, he shrugged the question off, saying, “It’s bigger than me and it’s bigger than the workers that are standing up. It’s not just going to help my generation, it’s going to help the next generation that’s going to come, and the generation after that.”

While the fast food movement has received some assistance from traditional union outfits—with the large Service Employees International Union acting as a particularly key supporter—it has never relied entirely on established channels for labor organizing. The very first fast food workers strike, which occurred in late November, was put together in large part by the community group New York Communities for Change. Subsequent strikes have received crucial support from grassroots progressive groups, churches, and other non-union institutions.

The week of action which began on July 29 seems to have been a turning point in the movement, as it was the first fast food workers’ action to receive significant national coverage. Rev. Herbert Lester, who helped organize workers in Memphis through the Workers Interfaith Network, said that the week of action galvanize workers in his city.

“We started reading and hearing about what other people in other parts of the country were doing, and the whole thing kind of coalesced as people did get together and talk about what was happening,” he said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Grab a student loan, and get a degree. Problem solved.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    yeah just like that!

Care to venture a guess how many people flipping burgers at Burger King qualify for a loan of any kind?
    Which kinda is the problem. Your solution is a Catch-22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    yeah just like that!

Care to venture a guess how many people flipping burgers at Burger King qualify for a loan of any kind?
    Which kinda is the problem. Your solution is a Catch-22
    Um, Looks pretty simple to me.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/defau...y-11.16.12.png

Facts, they really pigeon hole a good race\class baiting.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The longer one lives one see's things really aren't "simple as that"
    with that phrase right besides "The check is in the mail" and "I won't cum in your mouth"

My guess the majority of people working fast food (outside of students!) are people with families, people without high school degrees or GED's, people ineligible for any kind of loan because of past financial indiscretions and last but not least people recently released from prison. I wouldn't necessarily call this race / class baiting but on the surface I can see how you come to that conclusion.
    Not sure how the person who sends jobs overseas making $100K+ takes the moral high ground when going through drive thru at McD getting being waited on by someone making minimum wage when, in fact that customer shipped manufacturing jobs overseas precludes this person from having a meaningful blue collar job.
    Not sure you understand Blue Collar Jobs -- and what they are and where they are in 2013

Have a nice Labor Day
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Have a nice Labor Day
    You too!
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    """Every Republican who was invited to speak yesterday the 50th anniversary of The March on Washington declined due to "scheduling conflict." """

Don't know about anyone else but that troubles me. On many levels
    I know it is rude to quote yourself but ... WCIS.
    Came across this:

When House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) declined to speak at the March on Washington 50th anniversary rally Wednesday, he was choosing instead to meet with a North Dakota oil and gas lobby group, The Washington Post reports.
    ////
    Wasn't Mitt handed his hat for saying "business' are people too my friend?"