Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL 5/8/19;This just in -- Riley is RIDICULOUS!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I didn’t say he would. But if he continues what he is doing lately yes he will. The last 30 days he is hitting at a .340 avg. a .400+ obp. And 1.2ops. He would have 40+ bombs and ~40 doubles. So yes if he “continues” what he is doing there is a good chance he gets to the top. Will he. I have my doubts. He is a streaky player and in one of those insane streaks.
    And that's why we look at his entire numbers, not just the time he's been hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    No dude, why do you keep bringing up FV during players' hot streaks as if that is something always in flux? His FV hasn't changed since the start of the season. The only thing that changes is the probability that he reaches his upside.
    FV change for players

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    MILB article on Riley: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/austi...rs/c-306971688

It was the 22-year-old's 12th homer in 32 games this season. He also singled to left in the third and drew a bases-loaded walkin the sixth. Riley said he's put a lot of work into his swing to get to this point.

"I've adjusted it a little bit to kind of be more consistent on catching up with fastballs that are higher velo," he said. "When I was thinking about being short to it, I was more down, a downward swing. I was fouling balls off, hitting popups in the infield. And with pitches that I was on time with, I wasn't squaring up."

Riley started working on his change in approach last season at Double-A Mississippi with Braves Minor League hitting coordinator Mike Brumley, continued it after a promotion to Gwinnett and through the offseason and the spring with the help of Stripers hitting coach Bobby Magallanes.

"How can I get in the zone earlier and then stay in it longer? A lot of guys when they're swinging at fastballs, they kind of get their body in the play, and I'm just kind of working my hands, trying to get it in the zone level, on plane, with the ball," Riley explained.
    I read this earlier today. Encouraging that he adjusted.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    If Riley keeps this up and proves to be good in the outfield, Ender may be trade bait come the deadline.
    that extension will make Ender even more valuable as we try to dump him for poor performance.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    And that's why we look at his entire numbers, not just the time he's been hot.
    Correct. Although, I didn’t realize his 30 day numbers where so good. But I think his last 10 were soo good it can carry any stretch you look at. His last ten games are video game on easy mode numbers.
    Coppy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think Riley putting up a significant sample of at bats that show a much reduced K rate with no reduction in power is exactly the kind of thing that might significantly improve his trade value, though perhaps not his FV.

Still, it's early to be real excited about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Riley ends the year anywhere close to where he is now then he’s my starting 3b going into the offseason and I use the money on Gerrit Cole and Grandal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Riley ends the year anywhere close to where he is now then he’s my starting 3b going into the offseason and I use the money on Gerrit Cole and Grandal.
    Start camargo for a month

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    No dude, why do you keep bringing up FV during players' hot streaks as if that is something always in flux? His FV hasn't changed since the start of the season. The only thing that changes is the probability that he reaches his upside.
    If the probability a player reaches his upside improves, then so does his FV.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Pache's performance seems a bit more unsustainable, though he's recently been improving in all areas we've wanted. Waters is just a machine.
    They're both unsustainable, but still both very promising.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Start camargo for a month
    Tileys clock will start this year

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MILB article on Riley: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/austi...rs/c-306971688

It was the 22-year-old's 12th homer in 32 games this season. He also singled to left in the third and drew a bases-loaded walkin the sixth. Riley said he's put a lot of work into his swing to get to this point.

"I've adjusted it a little bit to kind of be more consistent on catching up with fastballs that are higher velo," he said. "When I was thinking about being short to it, I was more down, a downward swing. I was fouling balls off, hitting popups in the infield. And with pitches that I was on time with, I wasn't squaring up."

Riley started working on his change in approach last season at Double-A Mississippi with Braves Minor League hitting coordinator Mike Brumley, continued it after a promotion to Gwinnett and through the offseason and the spring with the help of Stripers hitting coach Bobby Magallanes.

"How can I get in the zone earlier and then stay in it longer? A lot of guys when they're swinging at fastballs, they kind of get their body in the play, and I'm just kind of working my hands, trying to get it in the zone level, on plane, with the ball," Riley explained.
    Riley after a swing change may be a bigger deal than originally given credit.

He probably needs to be given a shot vs MLB pitching soon.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Has anyone seen Keith Law say anything since Riley's big hot streak? I tried checking his website to find something, but ended up just getting pissed off at his incredibly pretentious nature. That guy's musings are insufferable.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Has anyone seen Keith Law say anything since Riley's big hot streak? I tried checking his website to find something, but ended up just getting pissed off at his incredibly pretentious nature. That guy's musings are insufferable.
    He actually just answered a Riley question in his chat. And it went as predictability insufferable and demeaning as his answers always are: "A hot week or two doesn't change my opinion of a prospect. He was in the right place on my top 100, with the same strengths (power, defense) and weaknesses (bat speed) today he had two months ago."
    Last edited by CJ9; 05-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Sure, but still repeating. Repeating a level never adds to their value.
    Didn't seem to hurt Robles much. Always felt it was a little more tied to each player's particular situation - had AA not spent $23 million on Donaldson, he'd have been up a couple weeks ago.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Didn't seem to hurt Robles much. Always felt it was a little more tied to each player's particular situation - had AA not spent $23 million on Donaldson, he'd have been up a couple weeks ago.
    and who knows how he would've done?
    i wouldn't have wanted to rely on Riley in the beginning of the season.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-09-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    and who knows how he would've done?
    i wouldn't have wanted to rely on Riley in the beginning of the season.
    No one - but "repeating" a level isn't the curse of death. Carp pointed it out himself - he's just now getting to the point that he has a full season's worth of ABs at AAA, if he's called-up in a month he really didn't spend much more than a year at that level.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    He actually just answered a Riley question in his chat. And it went as predictability insufferable and demeaning as his answers always are: "A hot week or two doesn't change my opinion of a prospect. He was in the right place on my top 100, with the same strengths (power, defense) and weaknesses (bat speed) today he had two months ago."
    Law's insistence that Riley has bat speed issues makes me lose some respect for the guy. Riley's bat speed has never been an issue. It's swing length. Riley has had a long swing which is what he's been working on and could be why he's showing such improvement. Law saw the long swing, labeled a bat speed issue, and refuses to move on from that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    No one - but "repeating" a level isn't the curse of death. Carp pointed it out himself - he's just now getting to the point that he has a full season's worth of ABs at AAA, if he's called-up in a month he really didn't spend much more than a year at that level.
    I pointed it out because players generally do better when repeating a level. So an improvement should b3 expected. That isn't to say that he hasn't also improved his overall game as well. But when scouts and analysts evaluate his performance, the fact that he's repeating AAA will most certainly be factored into their process.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    In what way does Robles and his situation compare to Riley?